ForumsWEPRThe Reformed World Events, Politics, Religion, Etc., Guide to Success

66 70712
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Some posters may feel that they know exactly how to put your opinion across, but are you? I thought that the many AG members should know what is needed for others to understand and respect what they have to say.

Spelling and Grammar
This may seem optional, but I would respect an opinion so much more if I could understand it. Not only understand it, but I would respect a post that has the look of hard work. Bad grammar, and wrong spellings would make me loose that interest and respect for the post.

Sources
When debating hot topics such as abortion, war, etc., you should always cite your sources! It is of course plagerism, and it is against the rules to copy someone elses work. Not only am I telling you to cite sources, but actually use sources! Research topics and use the knowledge found and refute what has been said before you, or bring up another point to add to the discussion. And remember, you don't have to know everything about the topic to post in a certain forum!

Courtesy
This doesn't only apply to this forum, but it is stressed more in this forum because some threads deal with personal issues, and if you aren't respectful to others' posts than there will be conflicts and fighting. I like to say, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all. This applies here, but your post doesn't have to be "nice." Just avoid being rude and obnoxious.

Read what others wrote by Squidlidink
All too often people post comments only referencing the topic title not what the actual topic was about. Always read the first few posts to see the scope of the argument and understand it, then read the previous posts to see specifically what people are talking about at that point.

Read what you're about to post thanks to Megamickel
Make sure you don't sound like an idiot before you post. If you say something stupid, you're bound to be attacked for it. The very nature of this forum says that opponents will look for any flaws in your argument, and if your post makes you sound like an ignorant buffoon, then you'll pay for it.

Be Specific Thanks to Eyes and Asherlee
Sometimes a lot of people are posting at once. It can be hard to tell who is talking about what. Instead of saying "it" or "him" be as specific as you can about who or what you are referring to. When you are talking to another AG member, a technique would be to us "@(so and so's name)" Then he/she will know that he/she is being addressed.

Quotes are also a helpful feature. You can make a quote by highlighting the text you want to quote (it must be inside the comment box) and clicking on "Quote".

Post YOUR feelings! Thanks to TotalReview
Don't just follow a crowd. Post your feelings on the issue. Use your mind and don't just say something to try to be cool. I would rather disagree with someone who actually supports something then agree with someone who just lied.

To add to it all, have fun!!!
This forum is pretty serious, but don't feel too worked up about a thread. This site is for having a good time, so post only if you want to to. This is not an obligation!

• 66 Replies
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Great idea to reform it. Should the old guide be a suggestions thread? Actually, I don't think we need it. If someone has a suggestion, then a new thread can be made while the old one is locked. Thanks Estel for reforming it.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Thanks for posting a reformed one. I think this will help everybody, whether you are new or not.

Arax_Nisanu
Arax_Nisanu
1,305 posts
Nomad

I totally agree with all of these! They all portray great ways to get your point across successfully. Indeed this will help many members of the armor games community! Reading through this, i can already see some areas i need to work on. I would like to add that when defending yourself, have open ears to what others have to say. Do NOT shut out what others are saying. It will just make you look ignorant. Always have open ears when venturing across a forum. No matter what the category. It will help out so much http://www.gfxcurb.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Good update! You did a great job with it

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
585 posts
Nomad

I was wondering while I was reading this if soomething that is obviously absent-mindedly putting what the last person said into > 10 words would be considered spam. Post on my profile if any mods or admins care to answer.

Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

And if you present a really good argument... would you get a merit? just a quick question.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Nope. Merits are only given to game reviews and various contest winners. This is a game site by the way ^.^

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

And if you present a really good argument... would you get a merit

Well actually, back when the Great Debate was still alive (i think it should be brought back), if you won the debate, you got a Merit. So in a sense, yes.
tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

I would say that posting one's thoughts and feelings is important, not just posting one's feelings.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

great job estel. i will try and start bringing my self in here mor often.

Communist
Communist
522 posts
Nomad

I think my grammar is ok it's just the spelling that gets me a little uneasy.

HornyCow
HornyCow
12 posts
Nomad

I am a grammar Nazi it pisses me off when people don't do good grammar.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

I am a grammar Nazi it pisses me off when people don't do good grammar.
I think you just failed.

And I just lost the game, but that's off topic.
Communist
Communist
522 posts
Nomad

I'm a grammar communist, I don't judge people by their grammar or spelling. I simply see what they're saying and put that into consideration.

This lack of respect is nothing but pure snobbery.

Fritz_Rublehem
Fritz_Rublehem
1,076 posts
Nomad

I quite dislike it when people use poor grammar. It takes me quite a bit of time just to understand what they are trying to tell me.

But I would never judge someone on their grammar in a thread on in this forum grouping.

Showing 1-15 of 66