ForumsSupport ForumAdministrator Autority

14 2423
volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

Theres a lot of topics on the message boards which are been blocked. When it is been blocked because someone is not knowledgeable about there been a same topic already or other reasons such as Klaushouse's recent idea which was blocked because of where the head of AG were and he didn't. Well why should we!I think moderators and administrators could just point out a problem instead of locking the entire topic.

IN SHORT for people who don't want to read that, administrators could just identify a problem, such as there is already a thread instead of dramatising it and locking it.

• 14 Replies
kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

They aren't being dramatic, they lock it and tell you to go to the thread that is already in use. Read the stickys on common thread ideas before you post.

volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

Yes but they don't always include every topic in the history of AG, and since there is a major lack of search engines, there's not much way of knowing.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

This isn't a dramatic way of doing it. Locking topics are our way of showing people that they somehow broke the rules by making that thread, or preventing further spam to accumulate on that thread. In this forum particularly, we have a problem with members spamming a thread after the question has been answered. So sometimes we lock the thread once an answer has been given so that this doesn't happen.

There is an unusual amount of locked topics in this forum right now because there was A LOT of spamming that took place last night.

Locking topics are just a way of reducing spam. There really isn't anything dramatic about it. Its just how things are done around here.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

If the thread that is already in use is on the first 3 pages, or close to it, they will lock it. If it's on the 85th page they won't hold it against you. Take the time to look at the first 3-5 pages and make sure it isn't there already.

volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

You may have given an answer, but that doesn't mean the topic should end with you having the last word. Others later on may want to post something anyway. Why take away that privelage?

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

From experience we know that these topics are very commonly spammed. We don't do this in the other forums, but in the S&S forum it is a must, unless we want people posting the same thing over and over again. Believe me, we only do this because of prior experience. If you feel you have something to add to the topic, you can always contact the member that had the question, and write what you have to say on their wall.

volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

That's a fair point, but one advantage of doing it on a topic rather than a wall is that you can raise everyone else's awareness aswell.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

That's a fair point, but one advantage of doing it on a topic rather than a wall is that you can raise everyone else's awareness aswell.

True, but we only lock a topic if we approve of how the question has been answered. If we think it has been fully answered, and that the question is done, only then do we lock it.
volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

Fair enough, however for some topics, the question can never be fully answered no matter how many different opinions you have had.

On my behalf you may lock this topic...

...but you never know someone else may appear and want to post a comment...

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Fair enough, however for some topics, the question can never be fully answered no matter how many different opinions you have had.

And we don't always lock all topics ;-) there are some that we do decide to keep open, because we do feel that people could have something productive to add to the thread.
volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

Well, I think it is settled then.

Jikek
Jikek
1,187 posts
Nomad

no offence but have you had a a few of your topics locked and deleted?

ANYWAY! Ya it can be hard to search for topics now that the community search is gone, but if your topic gets locked and you dont know why ask the mod that locked it.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn222/sandadesigns/mahta.png
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1724/jikekcopyve3.pngJoin the Sig Strikers!

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Yeah, a couple of volcan's topic were spam and got locked, so I think that's why he's getting all upset. And really, what is it with new people and flaming the mods? Just yesterday there was some topic called "Mods Who Spam" and now this one! I think we might be getting people from NewGrounds.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Heh, see this is what happens if a thread isn't locked in a timely manner ;-)

Showing 1-14 of 14