ForumsSupport ForumSuggestion for S&S: Minimum Posts

18 3176
Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Well the title says it all. Why not have a minimum post count to suggest something on the S&S forums. The pattern for people who have really obvious suggestions is usually 50 posts or less. This could either improve the suggestion forum as people would be on AG long enough to see whats working and not. Or people would spam 50 posts to say something on here. Not sure about this idea. It's a 50/50, not one of my best ideas but an idea worth pondering nonetheless!

• 18 Replies
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

I think common suggestions should just be a thread on its own. I mean the rest of that thread can still be conjoined. I think the comment disabling thread can be taken off stickies since that is sort of old.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I don;t like the idea, If someone has a really good idea, why silence them?

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I'm gonna be an extremist here, and agree. Most good suggestions come from experienced members, whereas obvious and pre-suggested suggestions come from newer members. And when their topics get locked, they get upset, and in the end, it helps more than it hurts.

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,611 posts
Jester

I must say I disagree with the idea 99% I think that it would be really annoying and yes Florglee2 is right it helps more than it hurts.

Danstanta
Danstanta
1,702 posts
Blacksmith

I only disagree about 54%, I do like florglee2's idea.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Sometimes things are bittersweet, and I guess this is one of them.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

Yeah, but this thread is also where you are supposed to post if you need help, it would eliminate that extra option for newer members who may need a little walkthrough on how to do something.
Oh and not the usual 'wuts a merit?' topics, that's just people not reading stickies.
About the actual topic, suggestions, yeah, you get a few people in here every once in a while who are new but automatically know what they're doing, and have a few good ideas about the place, most, is just stuff I've been seeing for the past 6 months over and over again, that every time has been shot down because it's a dumb idea(e.g. custom image armatars, wow.)

The_Idea_Men
The_Idea_Men
102 posts
Nomad

i have to say no. ive been here as long as klaushaus and i just broke 100 yesterday.

no i'm only active on site maybe 3-4 hours a week, but i do pop in with a good degree of regularity and read the boards, sometimes i'll respond, sometimes i'll make fun of someone and sometimes i wont.

does that mean that my ideas are less valid? no, it just means i dont need to type out every passing thought that might have something vague to do with the site.

besides, half of peoples posts come from telling the noobs "this has been suggested already, you can read the original post here (in my pants)" so without the noobs posting to gain their first 5 ap where would the rest of the board goers get theirs.

[i]the circle of life....

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Well I can't always think of good ideas. This one is more controversial, although most ideas come from more experienced members as florg says it is true some new members DO have good ideas. But the majority disagree so I will have to rest my case!

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

Well, the Support and Suggestions forum is for suggestions to the website, but also for support for issues users are having. Yes, there are a lot of spam topics here, but sometimes there are legitimate questions or problems people are having, and since newer people probably haven't found how to contact admins/mods, sometimes, however annoying it is, the only way they can think of to ask a question is here.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

They could ask a mod, but that would cause more work for you guys, and most new folk don't know about mods.

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

That is, unfortunately a big flaw in my plan. Maybe if there was an option for posting a thread in this forum, like if its for help or a suggestion and they will only be allowed to do help ones and no suggestions. But this is getting complicated and I don't think this idea will work..

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

You know making mistakes is how peopel learn. So just let them make ridiculous topics and later they will learn by themselves. It isn't fair to limit the newbs on things. That what newbs are for, making mistakes.

(I mean newbs as newbies not noobs.)

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

The only problem with a form, is the reason why we have a Support&Suggestions, is so we can discuss it. If there were forms, there wouldn't be any disscusion.
No discussion=no evolution, no evolution=nothing new.
That's why there shouldn't be, and hopefully never will be, any forms.

We know what a newb, newbie, noob, and nooblet are o_o
I think.

Anywayz on little newblets, there haven't been an extreme case of 'wuts a merit?' or 'how I get APs', yet. So I don't see any reason to put this into effect. The only problems I see are 'wheres the chat?', but I think that's just people in general.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

Ohhhh, okay, I see how this would work now.

That would make things a bit easier, however I hope that it would not be using the Community Search Bar...it'd probably take you to a thread about cheese when you want to make a suggestion about Armatars.

Showing 1-15 of 18