3. MERITS
4. MODERATERS
5. GAME SUBMITTING
6. COMMUNITY
7. RANKS

1. * Some of the imformation below was not written by me*
2. POINTS =D

Imformation below written by http://armorgames.com/user/Chaze100

IN ORDER TO GET POINTS THERE ARE 5 DIFFERENT WAYS.
1. GAME RATING- GAME RATING IS RATING A GAME 1-10.THE BAR FOR RATING A GAME IS LOCATED RIGHT UNDER THE GAME. A FEW GAMES I WOULD SUGGEST ARE:
1.GEMCRAFT
2.SONNY
3 FANCY PANTS2
4 ELECTRIC MAN2
5.HEDGEHOG LAUNCH

2. COMMENTING GAMES- IN ORDER TO COMENT A GAME YOU MUST GO BELOW THE GAME ONCE AGAIN UNTIL YOU SEE A BOX. THERE YOU TYPE A SHORT LITTLE THING ON HOW YOU LIKED THE GAME. DO NOT LEAVE COMMENTS THAT ARE 1-7 WORDS BECAUSE THIS IS CONSIDERED SPAM AND AGAINST THE RULES OF AG.

3. fORUM POSTS- IN ORDER TO MAKE A FORUM POST YOU MUST GO TO THE BUTTON THAT SAYS COMMUNITY, COIMMUNITY IS LOCATED RIGHT BELOW THE MISC GAME SECTION. IN COMMUNITY THEIR ARE DIFFERENT TOPICS YOU CAN CHOSE ANY1 YOU LIKE AND STATE YOUR OPINION ON IT
EX: cAKE OR PIE EVEN KNOW THIS 1 PROBABLY WONT BE IN FORUM POSTS

4.GAME SUBMITTED: THIS SECTION IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER WAYS TO MAKE POINTS AND I AM NOT FAMILIER WITH IT SO IF YOU WOULD LIKE SOME INFORMATION ON IT PLEASE CONTACT A MODERATER( CARLIE, DANK,CALM ETC.)OR 1 OF THE GAME CREATERS ON AG.

5.MERITS- THIS IS 1 OF THE HARDEST WAYS TO GET POINTS, PEOPLE RECIEVE MERITS IF THEY RIGHT A GOOD LONG WELL THOUGHT OUT COMMENT PREFERABLE SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 4-8 PARAGRAPHS I WOULD THINK.
3. MERITS =D

1) Perfect or near perfect grammar. Remember to use capitalization and proper spelling.

2) Structured - try to give some flow and structure to what you are writing. Don't just around from topic to topic.

3) Comprehensive, and with unique insight into the game that we somehow deem to be valuable.

4) Coherent. A lot of reviews that follow the recommended template become an exercise unto itself i.e. they don't really make sense when you actually read them. They sometimes even contradict themselves. These sort of comments don't get merits. Just because it is long, does not mean it will get a merit. It has to make sense too.

5) Contains constructive criticism of the game. Tell us the changes that you would make to the game, and why. What do you approve of? What don't you like?

6) Do not ask for a merit. Chances are, if you have to ask for a merit, you will not get one. It highly reduces your chances of receiving one, and makes us sad every time you ask

* If you need anymore help in this subject look for the N&N and Greg Merit guide =D *

* Written by the Loving site Community Manager Carlie!!! =D *
4. The Moderators!!!!

Arsherlee

Calm

Dank

Devoidless

DragonMistress

Moegreche

Strop

Ubertuna

Armor Games also has a Community Manager, who acts with the Moderators to help improve the community.

Carlie
5. GAME SUBMITTING

Step #1: Getting flash!
This will just be for using a payed for flash program, unfortunately I don't count Game Maker as a flash program because if you really want to get into game making you won't go near it. You will have to buy Adobe Flash CS3. Adobe is the best and smoothest program. It is absolutely necessary to have a program like this to help or thing will become unmanagable!

Unfortunately Flash comes at a hefty fee of $700
And I believe there is also a student price of $400 but I have only heard of this not seen this so don't count on it if you are a student.

Is Adobe Flash CS3 worth paying $700?
If you want to go into flash, it's necessary and you will have to get it. if you are not sure it is best to get the trial for which is good for 30 days, unfortunately that doesn't give you a good idea at all. I used flash for a month and thought it was hopeless... it only became cool and awesome after a few months of learning so I find it sad that they only give you a month.. it gives off the wrong impression of complication and confusion at first. But if you want to make real flash games this is 100% necessary and no way around it!

So in the end its up to you. Make sure you want to really get into it if you pay the price, or that you are rich enough that it won't matter!

Step #2: I have flash/flash trial! Now lets make games?
No.
Now it is time to start learning what you want to do. It might not be best to start with games and coding. It is probably better to start learning about the flash program itself and not game making. Understanding how the program works is important! I personally started by making little movies and slowly learned about Tweening and Buttons. Once I was decently good at this I started coding. But you might do different and just start gaming.

Should I buy a book about the flash program?
No. There is no need to learn from a book how to use flash, maybe a book for coding but if you need a book to learn how to use the program you shouldn't be using it. There is enough online to learn from, especially at the adobe site itself you find all you need. I learned by myself and I am stupid so I know you can too.

Step #3: Learning Actionscript!

I know how to use flash! Can I make age of war 2?
Yes.
Really?
No. Now it is time to learn how to do simple things! Like making an object move with arrow keys and such. It will take you a long time to be any good. A million problems will hit you in the face at once. There is no easy way to make gravity, ground walls and everything. Everything is done by scratch by you! It's time to decide what actionscript to use! Actionscript 2.0 is much easier to learn and is better for simple programs whereas Actionscript 3.0 is much more advanced and complicated and makes simple things harder to do, but in the end the results are a million times more amazing then AS2.

Ah! Actionscript 2.0 is easier? So use that of course?
NO! Lord no.
If you plan on making a decent game the help and orginization of Actionscript 3 will be needed! Although more work, it becomes easier for you and makes your life easier once you understand Actionscript 3.0. Also since it is newer and better every good coder is moving to AS3, and you can get much more help for it now.

So should I buy an Actionscript 3.0 book?
I would suggest one but some people have no capability to read an entire book full of boring explanations and would be better off learning from online. In the end it's your decision.
I would suggest it as it is a hard concept to grasp for a lot of people. I am about to buy a AS3 book called "ActionScript 3.0 Game Programming University" by Gary Rosenzweig which teaches simple game mechanics for as3 aswell as the basics of as3. There are many other books that teach AS3 and people will suggest other books and just choose whatever fits your needs.

I found code online! I will copy paste and just use it!
Nononononononononono.
People do this all the time and its not what you are suppose to do.
People do not put code online for you to steal it blatantly. The code is there to help you learn certain functions and ways to use it. Your game won't go far if you just steal the code and change the graphics. The code is there for you to learn from and one day maybe use a bit of it for you're game. Never base a game off code you took online. Because you will come into errors and not understand why because you just stole code and do not understand what it really does.

Where can I get tutorials to help me?
http://www.tutorialized.com/
http://www.kirupa.com/

I lived off these two guys for most coding I learned. And if you can't find what to need there then just go to google, type what you want and add as3 tutorial to it or as3 or actionscript 3 tut or whatever, try different combos. You tend to find what you need.
Example: I want to know how to make a ball bounce and cant find it on kirupa OR turorialized or anything!

Go to google and search 'ball bounce as3 tutorial' or How to make a ball bounce as3 tutorial' try different words!

I have a problem with my code and didn't steal it. Or a question on how to use a certain command, or if a certain command exists or how to do something?
There are many forums that you can ask if you can't find what you want on google or any sites:

http://www.actionscript.org/forums/
There are some very good people here, although you might get shunned and no one will answer you, that happened to me a few times. But when I get an answer it tends to be good.

http://www.kirupa.com/forum/
Although I have not posted here I have found some very helpful topics here that had interesting code for me to learn from and I am sure it is very good forum.

http://board.flashkit.com/board/
This is the second forum I use if AS.org forums fail. Also very smart people here that tend to answer me with very helpful info!

ArmorGames Programming Help Forums!(this one)
If all else fails post here. Sometimes someone knows something, I try to help as much as possible but there aren't the masses of actionscript people here like the other forums. Use us as a last resort!

Step #4: Graphics
This step is simple. You either learn to animate and draw yourself or get someone to do it for you. Alot of good graphics people exist in the Armorgames community. If you want to make something and can't draw, ask around

Step #5: What to put in game
Now you have the ability to make a game but what do you put in it? Well here is a few things you should have in a game that make it pleasant:

-Music
-Decent Graphics
-A Preloader
-A Menu
-A "How To Play" Section
-Mute button
-Highscore tables
-Pause button
-Ability to customize!

Step #6: Test and submit!

Once you believe you finished what you think is a complete game, get different people to test it and make sure it is fun, and that there are no errors. I personally just come here and ask AG'ers to play and give me opinions on what to do. They give me feedback and then you fix it to their liking. Once you think you have a complete game submit it to AG! Or anywhere to like!

* Written By Klaushouse!!!! =D *
6. Community =D

First off before you start posting in the Community and what the Rules are:

Location: The Community is located right below the game section Misc and is right next to News and Store.

Rules:

1. Do not Post anything that is hurtful to other users.

2. Do not post a pointless thread for the sake of points

3. The Community is a place to post suggestions and have fun and talk about different threads, the Community is not necassarely a place to Criticize people on there idea but it does help to tell them if they are missing something or if something could go wrong.

4. Do not Bug a mod or Admin to check out your thread becauese this will most likely annoy them.

5. Have fun in the Community!!!!

Now that you know the rules let me introduce you to the 10 Catagories in the Community:

1. Supports & Suggestions - This is a place to post your suggestions on how the site could be made better, or to look at thread other people have posted and see if there idea could help improve AG.

2. Video Games - In this section you can post about all your favorite game like WOW or Need for speed or you can just look in people threads and see what they think of games its up to you =D .

3. Game Walkthroughs - This is an are in the community were you post game walkthroughs on all your favorite games or if your not 1 of those people who like to type you can check out someones Walkthrough and see if it helps you beat the game it was designed to help you on.

4. Flash Games - In this Section you can talk about all your favorite flash games like Sonny, The last Stand2 , Gemcraft ect. or you can even talk about games from different sites once again its up to you =D

5. World Events ect. - Here is a place to be a little more series because it is all about World events, Religion, Wars, ect. i am not big on this section so if you dont really watch the news or dont care about current events this section is not for you... =D

6. Movies & Music - in this Section you can Telk about all the Great music or movies that are out, But before you post a thread on Batman the Dark Night make sure there is not already a topic like it.

7. The Tavern - The Tavern is a place to post about almost anything you want!! this section gives you a little more freewill dont abuse it. The Tavern is 1 of the main sections that i go to and i personally think it 1 of the best sections if you want to talk about something.

8. Programming Help - This is a place were you can post all about how to make a game and if you need help making a game. Not many people are into this section because not many people want to spend 700$ making a game...

9. Forum Games - in this section you get 0 AP because it is a place to have fun and play fun games that you have made up or someone else has made up my favorite would have to be Destroy Bob

10. Art, Music, Writing - in this section you can post music you have written or art you have drawn ( you should check out Rarw im a dinosaur) and last you can post little stories that you have wrote.

7. Ranks =D

Wood Serf: 10 AP
Iron Serf: 25 AP
Gold Serf: 100 AP
Wood Squire: 225 AP
Iron Squire: 400 AP
Gold Squire: 625 AP
Wood Knight: 1200 AP
Iron Knight: 1750 AP
Gold Knight: 2250 AP
Wood Lord/Lady: 3000 AP
Iron Lord/Lady: 3500 Ap
Gold Lord/Lady: 4000 AP
Wood Duke/Duchess: 4500 AP
Iron Duke/Duchess: 5200 AP
Gold Duke/Duchess: 6000 AP
Wood Prince/Princess: 7250 AP
Iron Prince/Princess: 8500 AP
Gold Prince/Princess: 10000 AP
Wood King/Queen: 12000 AP
Iron King/Queen: 14500 AP
Gold King/Queen: 17500 AP

I hope all this imformation helps you and that you have a fun time while playing on AG!!!!! =D

Chaze100

• 23 Replies
Shark7996
Shark7996
373 posts
Nomad

Great guide, this is going on my profile.

Chaze100
Chaze100
479 posts
Peasant

Yah i did the thing in Cap lockes because i was sending my brother a thing on how to get points and i accindently write it in Caps..... and i dient want to write it over and what do you mean i messed up a link??? to which profile???

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

Arsherlee

? Who Arsherlee? XP
kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

This would be really helpful to all the new members on AG, nice job.

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

If this is your first guide, it's decent at the least.

There is one point I seriously disagree with:

5.MERITS- THIS IS 1 OF THE HARDEST WAYS TO GET POINTS, PEOPLE RECIEVE MERITS IF THEY RIGHT A GOOD LONG WELL THOUGHT OUT COMMENT PREFERABLE SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 4-8 PARAGRAPHS I WOULD THINK.

That's bollox. In order to obtain a merit, you need to make a comment that makes sense, and thought out, that's right.. but 4-8 paragraphs? Don't fool these people -- you could earn a merit but writing a paragraph or two, considering it's concise, to the point, and with little to no spelling errors.

It's actually quite simple to earn a merit, but people fail to realize that QUALITY is better than QUANTITY. I've seen some loooooooong comments, and there filled with errors and the sorts, then I see short ones, about a paragraph or two and there fantastic.

Granted, I've had my shares of long comments, I've also gotten some merits for shorter ones too.
Chaze100
Chaze100
479 posts
Peasant

oh thxs for pointing that out.... but i right 6 pargraphs and i have seen people who right more then 8 pargraphs but i think it is a rip off to people that take there time righting good comments when people who right 2 pargraphs comments also get merits so thats why i put 4-8 because your merit worthy comments should be inside this area.

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

Ahh, I see your point and I think in some respects, it is valid, but the longer comments tend to DRAGGGGGGGGGGG ONNNNNN, if you get what I mean. They become frivolous and tend to have many spelling errors.

If anything, try condensing what you want to say instead of writing a bazillion words:
"I thought this game was awesome to the max!"

Could be replaced with:
"This game was fantastic!"

So, many practice when there are new games out. Write a short, but concise, intelligent comment on one new game, and a long one on another new game. If you get a merit on the shorter one, then you know you've done something right :P

Then again, it's preference in the end.

rumen
rumen
307 posts
Nomad

It would look better if you just linked all the guides existing so far, because it would be easier to read.

Naruto
Naruto
658 posts
Nomad

its a good guide

venturakid94
venturakid94
107 posts
Nomad

wow thats really nice. gj all around =]

Roadripper
Roadripper
1,514 posts
Farmer

I love this guide, just not all caps would be nice. And You can really get a merit for a paragraph, or just a list of what needs to be fixed or what is great!

? Who Arsherlee? XP

? Urm..a moderator... XP
rumen
rumen
307 posts
Nomad

He wrote Arsherlee.

armor_warrior
armor_warrior
1,122 posts
Peasant

dude this is the best guide ive ever seen, great job