ForumsSupport ForumSpam-My take on it

10 2199
Drognar
Drognar
535 posts
Nomad

Spam is useless, meaningless posting that is used when bored or this case to get AP. Now I have seen tons of great suggestions shot down for one reason-[/b]because it would promote spam![b]. People should know to not spam in first place, if not read the rules, but the bottom line is people would spam need to be held accountable, which includes bans,warnings, and lose of privileges/AP.I don't care what you were thinking its against the rules, and most people here should be mature enough to know its not right. If want this site to go anywhere in terms of upgrades and features, and a better community for that matter we need to encourage constructive posting. Its not like you can't spam either, there are tons of other forums that allow it in specific section just don't bring it here, and don't say you didn't know, the rules are right there.
So in a nutshell here the point-
1. Don't Spam.
2.Don't use encourage spamming as excuse to shoot a suggestion.
3. Read the rules please, its take only a little common sense to not take advantage of the site.
4.Spamming needs to yield negative consequences, it may seem harsh but people need to learn their lesson.
5. Spam-free means a better community and a better site in general maybe some of good suggestion could get across is spam wasn't so prominent here.
-Drognar

• 10 Replies
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Nice post, although you could have posted it in the stickied spam thread.

Drognar
Drognar
535 posts
Nomad

True, but more people will read it this way.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

You know, this reminds me of the sign along California highways:

Don't Speed
Save Lives
Save Fuel

Not actually sure if that's exactly correct, but that's the gist of it. Once it becomes so institutionalized (not speeding or the spamming, but the message not to do it), it really just becomes trivialized.

I'm sure reading:

Don't Spam
Save Time
Save AP

is quite fun, especially having something pounded into your head several times after spending an hour on this site. And I'm sure it's quite helpful for those that don't know that sign exists.

If you really read into the Rules, Guides, Spam, Common Suggestions *PLEASE READ*, almost anyone with over a couple thousand comments and posts has, in fact, spammed some time in their history. Either that is also institutionalized and the rules (read "laws&quot need to be changed, no one is actually flagging those comments, or no one really pays attention to those rules or have not actually read the guide and may have (quite ironically, and I'm taking it in an absurd direction) spammed in that very post because they haven't actually read it. And some of those that do, well, get caught up in the moment like everyone does every so often.

I'm pretty sure reitereate the behaviour not the message, would be more helpful. (And satirically, I suggest that) An anti-spam award should be given to those who show exemplary behaviour in fighting spam.

(*Note tongue-in-cheek and exaggerations, which don't carry well over the internet, especially if you don't know the person.)

Invrlose
Invrlose
13 posts
Nomad

Spam:
Stupid
Pointless
Annoying
Spam needs to be dealt with. It's annoying, and it is everywhere. You are saying we are all mature enough to not spam, yet it happens everywhere. Explain this to me please? This thread you made is spam, it doesn't belong on these forums. This forum is for SUPPORT and SUGGESTIONS. This thread isn't either of them.

Drognar
Drognar
535 posts
Nomad

[/quote]

Wood - Squire

Flag

Spam:
Stupid
Pointless
Annoying
Spam needs to be dealt with. It's annoying, and it is everywhere. You are saying we are all mature enough to not spam, yet it happens everywhere. Explain this to me please? This thread you made is spam, it doesn't belong on these forums. This forum is for SUPPORT and SUGGESTIONS. This thread isn't either of them.[quote]

This thread isn't spam its a topic about the subject, I expressed how I felt about it and what should done. My suggestion is not to the members(partially it is) but to AG itself to do something about spam here, so we can move on to more important things.I'm also addressing the people who spam here, i don't think its justified, I mean you don't get 200 AP per day or anything, just post here when you have something to say. I am simply suggesting a way to deal with it. Read the whole post before making rude comments.

Drognar
Drognar
535 posts
Nomad

Invrlose, my OP holds much meaning although your post does count as spam and flaming.

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

True, but more people will read it this way.

This thread will do little to teach users about spam or how to stop it. Infact, this thread is spam itself, considering there's an FAQ/stickied thread regarding spam already. So, is it necessary to shout out your own view point when it could've been posted elsewhere? Then again, Eddie made himself a thread for his own suggestions, which I thought was kind of funny!

I do commend your efforts, but you'll soon learn with time that certain folks (spammers) don't really care about what others have to write/say. Your best bet: flag and move on. Simple, yet, effective message. Heck, even contact a mod -- spam isn't that big of an issue here, as it is elsewhere, what we need is more people actually flagging. That's the real issue!
Drognar
Drognar
535 posts
Nomad

I'm really just sick of excuse that people use all the time-"This will promote spam!", that to me is spam in itself. If spam really isn't a big issue don't bring that up, because as inTheZone just said there will always be spammers, I just think we can't be focused about people slipping through rules that is enviable, if it becomes too much of issue the user is banned. Although there 130,00 accounts here we can't expect everyone to stop spamming and its going happen no matter how the site is, so we should just agree with more suggestion, the adminstration and flagging is there to get rid of spam. rant over.

Claw_Dragon4
Claw_Dragon4
369 posts
Nomad

This is so true it should be preached at church and written in the bible.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

You know, there are numerous topics on this. And a stickied thread on it. And everyone knows these things.

See, heres the thing: People who spam, they spam on purpose. Everyone one know knows what it is and the rules, but they do it anyway. So there is really no point in saying the obvious, much less make a new thread for it.

One would almost think that this is spam...

Showing 1-10 of 10