ForumsArt, Music, and WritingPeriodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

3868 3750231
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

First, I will post the overall rules, and then I will post the specifics about this week.

Original rules, as stated by Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

OK, on to this week's topic...Again, we are having a style instead of a theme. Also, this week we are having TWO WEEKS to do it, instead of the usual one. Why? Because this will be an EPIC poem. Or, rather, a parody of an epic poem. Generally, epic poetry is very long, and tells the serious story of a heroic figure. Well, this week, the epic figure is YOU! Write a long poem (I'll leave the definition of 'long' up to you, but give it a good go) about the heroic story of you! It can be silly, serious, whatever... just have fun with it. You have two weeks, so have a great time!
  • 3,868 Replies
choazmachine
choazmachine
1,044 posts
Nomad

Obviously we can't state what the riddle means. . . right?

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

Same here, Estel. This one stumped me when I first read it, but I got the fish one.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Surprisingly, I got all, but one of them, just can't remember which one. It was most likely one said by Gollum :P

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

And I'll bet you money that everyone Googled this ^.^ I already knew the answer from reading "The Hobbit," say 20 times :P
I didn't google! I remember those riddles!
Not that I made it through the whole book, but the riddles~<3

lily, you're too late with the moth entry...

New theme is the solution to that riddle, or possibly riddles themselves. Nah, I think it's the solution.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Postscripts: Sorry uber, writing poetry on teh internetz is srs biznis.

And everybody, I did intend the theme to be the answer to the riddle I posted. And if you remember correctly, there was definitely an answer to that riddle that saved Bilbo's life!

But please don't ruin it for others

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Finally, sorry lily, try writing one on this week's theme!

Actually I've got a new rule. Anybody who mentions the answer to the riddle in their poem will be disqualified bwahahahahahahaaaaa~ >

Unless Ubertuna says so, because he's running this now.

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

Quintessential memories of doing absolutely nothing productive for the win. I didn't realize I've pretty much placed top three most of the time while Strop was judging. But I've only won three times since the start of the Contest. I'm sure there must be someone else who's won that many times already.

Conclusion: Strop=Gantic. hahahaha

Srsly? Since Strop's not judging, does that mean he will enter the next one?
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Quite possibly!

I'm trying to think of a good clone joke to go here right about now.

Lynoth
Lynoth
509 posts
Nomad

I can't believe I looked past that fact! That seems to happen a lot with me. Spend 20 minutes looking for a shoe and then you realize your wearing it.

choazmachine
choazmachine
1,044 posts
Nomad

Ok, for the riddle, I am kind of wondering what it could be. And I know you can't tell me, so what page is it from your source? For I have the book and would be more then happy to know what page it's on, but I can't find that riddle. And I don't feel like reading the whole book again.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

A little along the lines of what I thought to write, except I generally choose to be just a little less optimistic. After all, is it a hope, or is it an exercise in futility? Maybe you should decide for yourself!

I don't know why I wrote an optimistic poem, that's pretty rare for me considering I'm very pessimistic. I assume it was because I was tired and hungry. lol

Of course this riddle has to be taken from my favorite book! This is my turf, I shall win! Surprisingly I didn't even place haha, but I shall turn a new leaf! And I'll bet you money that everyone Googled this ^.^ I already knew the answer from reading "The Hobbit," say 20 times :P

High Five! My favorite book too.
Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

Intangibility

Like a terrible beast
It passes by,
Unseen to all,
By none defied.

No man survives
From bottom to top.
No heroes of yore,
Not even Strop.

From small acorn
To branching oak,
Then back to ground,
Its terrible yoke.

Not even stone
With res'lute mind;
Inside its gorge
A river winds.

But with those sheltered
From its midst,
Intangibility
Still persists.

While we have love
Or legacies,
There will be things
It cannot seize.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,120 posts
Shepherd

Actually I've got a new rule. Anybody who mentions the answer to the riddle in their poem will be disqualified bwahahahahahahaaaaa~ >

I concur!
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Parsat: You lie. I AM IMMORTAL! >:O

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Pockets????????

Ahahahaha...,..must re-read the hobbit again...

KingRyan

Showing 421-435 of 3868