ForumsArt, Music, and WritingPeriodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

3868 3746434
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

First, I will post the overall rules, and then I will post the specifics about this week.

Original rules, as stated by Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

OK, on to this week's topic...Again, we are having a style instead of a theme. Also, this week we are having TWO WEEKS to do it, instead of the usual one. Why? Because this will be an EPIC poem. Or, rather, a parody of an epic poem. Generally, epic poetry is very long, and tells the serious story of a heroic figure. Well, this week, the epic figure is YOU! Write a long poem (I'll leave the definition of 'long' up to you, but give it a good go) about the heroic story of you! It can be silly, serious, whatever... just have fun with it. You have two weeks, so have a great time!
  • 3,868 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I liked the judging this time. It's better to include positives and negatives. I loves the detail you put into it, and quoting parts of the entries was fantastic. You could still try and exhaust every aspect of each poem though. It sounds hard, but by doing so the writer will completely know what he or she did right and what he or she did wrong. In all respect, I wouldn't be surprised if you read Xzeno's huge post on acceptable critiquing in the AMW forum, which is something that a lot of people could learn from. It solved my biggest issue with your judging, which was nearly all positives. I know you were trying to be nice, but, frankly, it's nicer if you give feedback on what could be improved upon! All in all, much better. Keep it up!

I've seen wolf1991 judge in the past and I'm all for it. However, I don't want to see a huge cycle of judges. I'm more comfortable with a cycle of 3 judges, and after 3 rounds for each judge the cycle would switch to 3 other judges and recursion. I haven't been able to make any submissions yet, but I'm writing one for the current topic.

CheapCheep
CheapCheep
240 posts
Nomad

Even though I'm not going to be judging this next round, I'm going to at least start things off by choosing The Solar System as the next theme and setting the deadline to Wednesday, August 8 unless there are any objections...

The Solar System...

FUDGE.

The Solar System

Planets spin around me
Stuck in a repeating cycle
Everything the same as the year before
Yet everything, so diffrent.

All the planets have diffrent traits
Just like you and me
Everything in space
Is so diffrent

Yes I did a free-verse. I dont want to sit here for hours thinking of a word that rhymes with "galaxy" or "Mars". And again, I really didn't try sad to say. Im going through a writers block that I just cant get out of quite yet.

And I'm bored OUTTA MY MIND.

School starts again soon...

FUDGE.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

I'm all for Wolfie taking this one.

Sal, who all do you think should take it, if only 3?

Skeleton, that was marvelous. Learning more already

I guess I'll contact the others. Nicho, Tacky, Wolf, Oreo and moi. We'll figure something or another out, unless Sal has a better idea?

Sadly I think Tacky is too busy living, and I dunno if Nicho is alive :< But we shall sort this!

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I'm indifferent on who judges. You have Nicho, Tacky, Wolf, Oreo, and, er, you as referred to as "moi" listed. Nichodemus has been using his phone to visit the forums so I don't think he'd be willing to make huge, detailed reviews. I haven't seen Tacky much, and I hardly know her whatsoever. Couldn't really say. Wolf is up, so that's 1 for sure. I think Orion said he'd be willing to judge, but, probably because of me, I solemn know what he's talking about. Probably 2 there. With you, that makes 3, so 1 full cycle is achievable.

I don't know, maybe after each of you judges 3 times, we could see if Nicho and Tacky are up for judging, and Skele could fill up that last spot. I think it would be better if the cycles were made up of smaller groups, so people could have longer breaks.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I guess it was all just a matter of knowing what I was supposed to do as a judge... now that I know how to do it properly, I'll be glad to step in if and when I'm needed. =)

HOW IN THE HECK DID I GET 3RD PLACE! THAT WAS THE WORST POEM I HAD EVER WRITTEN!!

Need I remind you that only three entries actually qualified for placement this round? Technically you also got last place, but I don't see it that way... =)
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

I agree that the number of judges should be limitted to 3-4, furthermore I suggest a two round rotation instead. Three rounds is simply too long in my mind, especially since I will be returning to university in Septemeber, as such two rounds is far more managable.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Nonsense, I typed out my literature essay on my phone before; I just dot feel like doing it for now.

Anyway yes, good job Skele.

MrDavidX96
MrDavidX96
10 posts
Nomad

solar system... ima gonna sit this one out. cant think of any un-cliched material to write about

DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

We've no restraints on
The space-time continuum,
And yet we sit here,
Limited, for now, by Mars.
And Jupiter. And ourselves.

MrDavidX96
MrDavidX96
10 posts
Nomad

skrew, im gonna rip off/refrence a bunch of far more talented people than me on this

in order from our sun
The one who warms a summer's day,
for which was compare
to a lady fair ,
Is the planet mercury
who sends letters to roman gods.

Next is paralandra
also known as Venus.
this planet's hot
and for that's not
because it's name is Aphrodite.
mostly its just because the temp is o're 800.

and third is planet earth
Silent, and mostly harmless.
that's really all that can be said
about something who's inhabitants
want her Dead
by all obvious appearance.

next in line is Bloody Mars
the taking place of Rekal.
the movie wasn't bad, but i swear i will never get that three tit chick out of my head as long as ever i may live.

Moving on is massive Jupiter.
the writhing gaseous mass.
it puts out more than it gets
of heat and light from old Apollo.

sixth we find Saturn.
rings with rime encrusted.
though it's still unsure as to what
has frozen in their trusses.

next in line is Uranus
and really all that i can say
is that it gets in the way
cuz i want to speak of Neptune.

deity of the sea, with trident firm in hand.
Neptune is a bluish form
that sits tween'st seven and pluto.

And last is pseudo planet pluto
a glory for alliterations.
one thing that can be said about it
is that it can be discerned.
that on its shores you are,
when e're you feel it's distinctive bark
and then you know
that "we on pluto!"

i did it for humor and less for beuty. cudos to those who get all the refrences and i hope i chart this time. i expect i'll be the only one to use this tongue in cheek method, but then mine refrences so much that it's no longer origonal, and it's not particularly well written. oh well i still hope i win.

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

And Waluigi returns, if maybe for a brief time.

A massive ball of flaming gas
lights the black abyss.
A centerpiece, quite hard to miss,
even in one quick pass.

Around it hurdle lumps of rock,
circling without end.
Their paths, a never-ending trend,
with no place for to dock.

This 'solar system' of planets and sun,
one great agglomeration,
I dare say, with trepidation
has an importance of next to none.

For these giants are just dust
in this great universe,
And so myself I most coerce
that living life is not a bust.

The rhymes got worse at the end. I guess that's what I get for being off poetry writing for all of several months.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

Round closes tonight at 11:59pm EST. Judging will be later this week.

TopRank_
TopRank_
275 posts
Peasant

Its me again. the great thinker. what shall i write about today? hmmm... i know! how about the solar system! great idea TopRank_, why thank you TopRank_. well anyway, here goes

____________________________________________________________________________________

a gauntlet of diamonds.
rubies, emeralds, sapphire.
in a darkness. weightless.
black. like a ravens beak
giants that defy description.
round. glowing. eternal.
are they gods? fickle gods.
composed of dust, gas, and fire.
they are not gods.
they are but mere disciples.
the true master. is far more frightening.
beautiful. a raging inferno. without the rage.
a topaz. far larger than the would be gods.
far more powerful. an intensity beyond mortal description.
is it a god? among the others. the gentle, incredible giants. yes.
this fire. a globe of raw energy in its purest form. the master. the god.
the god is benevolent to those partway between far and near.
the god is spiteful to those nearest.
and the god is uninvolved with the ones furthest.
is anything else? is the god all encompassing? is this heaven? no.
for the god among giants.

is a speck.

CheapCheep
CheapCheep
240 posts
Nomad

Gah...judge please.......

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

Gah...judge please.......

I suppose you missed the words "judging will be later this week". If you didn't allow me to explain why judging takes a few days. First, I read each poem seperately to see how it flows and what each poem envokes, at seperate times in order to give each a fair assessment. Then I put that all on the back burner in order to take a more critical view at the structure and grammar. Then,I wait until the next day to do it again. Then I post after writing an assessment of the top three poems.
Showing 3601-3615 of 3868