ForumsArt, Music, and WritingPeriodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

3868 3180899
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

First, I will post the overall rules, and then I will post the specifics about this week.

Original rules, as stated by Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

OK, on to this week's topic...Again, we are having a style instead of a theme. Also, this week we are having TWO WEEKS to do it, instead of the usual one. Why? Because this will be an EPIC poem. Or, rather, a parody of an epic poem. Generally, epic poetry is very long, and tells the serious story of a heroic figure. Well, this week, the epic figure is YOU! Write a long poem (I'll leave the definition of 'long' up to you, but give it a good go) about the heroic story of you! It can be silly, serious, whatever... just have fun with it. You have two weeks, so have a great time!
  • 3,868 Replies
adrecka_33
adrecka_33
304 posts
Peasant

its complete fantasy[/i]

Maybe but i liked it cause thats how most people want things to be wether they are or not

mvpguy22
mvpguy22
304 posts
Peasant

KingRyan, I think that that was quite beautiful. It painted a complete picture in my head! Good job!

Shark7996
Shark7996
373 posts
Nomad

I'm sorry my loyal fans (+1 full-of-myselfiness bonus!), I just didn't get around to it this week. I'll compensate by making an awesome poem next week...

CommanderC
CommanderC
120 posts
Nomad

Up before the birds,
Coffee, coffee, coffee!
Sorry, mom.
No time for breakfast.

Hope I finished all my homework.
Stupid math class.
Am I ever going to use
Derivatives in real life?

To be, or not to be...
Are we really doing Shakespeare?
You realize no one understands this.
Can't we just watch the movie?

Oh no. Please not dodge ball!
Bruising, bleading, broken bones.
Did you have to pit us
Against the football team?

Bouncing chicken nuggets!
I really need to start
Packing my own lunch!
Laugh it off with friends.

No ablo espaniol.
I barely speak English!
You realize I'm only taking
This to get into college.

I don't need a Physics lab.
No disrespect to Newton,
But I think everyone knew
That things fall down.

Fifteen minutes. Ten. Five.
Don't start a new topic!
No one's paying attention!
Three, two, one. Freedom!

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

No ablo espaniol.

That should be 'No hablo espan(~)ol'

The (~) refers to the squiggle about the N!

KingRYan
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Mmm... I can't believe I didn't enter this week =( I was too busy ='(

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
304 posts
Peasant

I wonder when she is going to post the resaluts i am dieing for them and if i get of the internet i wont beable to get back on . Well anyway i think everyone did great, and some poems were extrordanary i think.....

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

WHERE IS DRAGONMISTRESS?

I want to know how everyone went, and if I won or not!

KingRyan

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

Sorry, I've been slacking.

Actually, I've been vomiting... fun, huh? Haven't felt too great, so I haven't been around. Just wanted to let you know that I am going to vote on these.

Also, since we got a late start this week and I'm not feeling too well, we're having a bit of a break. I'm running out of ideas! So I want you all to put on your thinking caps, and give ideas for what themes/styles you'd like to see in upcoming weeks.

I'll post the winners shortly.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

What about limericks? I'm not to lazy to write a limerick.

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

Wow! This week was actually the hardest to place people, everyone did a really great job. I love the different styles and rhymes that people have been using.

A tip for upcoming weeks: If the theme seems a bit too vague, it probably is that way for a reason. I love to see people think outside the box, and add either a twist, or take a different route than the expected.

Finally, the results!

First Place: Adrecka_33!

I took everyone's input on this (a lot of people said they loved it) as well as my own. I love that there was a positive message, and the story was really great!

Second Place: mvpguy22

I loved that you took a different side to school than everyone else. I always felt really bad for lunch ladies, this is a nice homage to them.

Third Place: CommanderC

Your poem really made me laugh! I also loved the structure to it, how you set it up into the different periods of the day. It really summed up how I felt in school, and I'm sure everyone else!

And this week, because I want to recognize the others I had a tough time deciding between, I'm having

Honorable Mentions!

Gantic - I loved the rhyme scheme, and it was very clean. I liked the story too, it's really cute!

KingRyan - Nice story, good rhyming, very creative!!

Keep up the great work, guys!!

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Congratulations to the winners. I'd have to give props to Jack Prelutsky. That guy is awesome and makes poetry fun in school. Too bad I never read any of his poetry in grade school.

Possible topics?
Armor Games
Sonnet (form)
Travel?
Animals...? Too broad?
Monorhyme?
Periscopes?
Ropes!
Envelopes
Favorite Flash Game?
Invention
Newbies
Equations?
Sonnet about Armor Games!
Armor?
Lists (topic)
Engineering
Time travel
Technology (utilizing)
Electrolytic reactions with NiMH, NiCad, Zinc, Lithium! or maybe just Batteries
Regrets? or Rabbits!

Puzzles!

Get well soon.

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
304 posts
Peasant

What about doing a topic on 'Life' how we view it, how it should be viewed, it is a very open topic....

mvpguy22
mvpguy22
304 posts
Peasant

Congratulations to all the winners, and I hope you feel better DragonMistress.

I have a couple ideas for possible themes:
Siblings
Outer Space
Amusemant Park
An Achievement (like a person conquering a fear, learning to ride a bike, etc.)
Couplet: two lines that rhyme
Two authors: Two people write a poem together and submit as partners.

Just a couple ideas, trying to go outside the box.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Sep 22, '08 at 3:00pm, adrecka_33 wrote:
What about doing a topic on 'Life' how we view it, how it should be viewed, it is a very open topic....

I think that's pretty much the entire fabric of possibilities. It can be woven into any topic and probably is. Anything can threaded in between the interstices in the letters of every word. The way words and ideas are brought together in the context of life is seamless, but maybe we are only aware that they touch upon the hem of our many experiences. Of course, we are free to embroider them, but on such an open loom, life dyes our threads as they are woven, producing the our pattern so is that not the topic in and of itself? After all, we write it as we see it.
Showing 91-105 of 3868