ForumsArt, Music, and WritingPeriodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

3868 3754638
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

First, I will post the overall rules, and then I will post the specifics about this week.

Original rules, as stated by Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

OK, on to this week's topic...Again, we are having a style instead of a theme. Also, this week we are having TWO WEEKS to do it, instead of the usual one. Why? Because this will be an EPIC poem. Or, rather, a parody of an epic poem. Generally, epic poetry is very long, and tells the serious story of a heroic figure. Well, this week, the epic figure is YOU! Write a long poem (I'll leave the definition of 'long' up to you, but give it a good go) about the heroic story of you! It can be silly, serious, whatever... just have fun with it. You have two weeks, so have a great time!
  • 3,868 Replies
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

@fyre, your poem is good but has some flow problems. The first line has too many syllables in it, and somewhat mars the rhythm of the stanza. Also, it would be "wander" on the first line, not "wonder." But, still a good poem.

Fyrefox
Fyrefox
2,124 posts
Blacksmith

fyre, your poem is good but has some flow problems. The first line has too many syllables in it, and somewhat mars the rhythm of the stanza. Also, it would be "wander" on the first line, not "wonder." But, still a good poem.
Eh, but like I said it is my first time experimenting with a poetry. So, I appreciate your feedback.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

Your welcome. Anytime you need to get some perspective on a poem, then really most of the contestants here in the poetry contest are good go-to people.

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

I'm not even sure this will make sense to me later. I know I'm not good at poetry, but hey it never hurts to try.

<>A Land of Fallen Hopes<>
rock music plays in disarray
within the deep forest
little animals play

colors streaming from every tree
guitars rock out,
the birds fly free

with the rainbow rivers flowing
in his eyes of doubt
everything is glowing

staring up into the starry night
in the distance,
a fight breaks out

the trees stood tall
valiant might
alas the effort,
they did fall.

mokomonkey
mokomonkey
50 posts
Nomad

PEOPLE! COMMENT ON MY POEM PAGE 77!! I'M NEW AT POETRY SO I NEED THE HELP TO IMPROVE!! PLEASE!!

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
304 posts
Peasant

O.K. No need to scream. Mokomonkey I thought the poem was good it flowed well and it had good sensory details. I also liked that you didn't use sight, even though that is one of our main senses for describing surroundings, you made it work nicely. And you focused on the sound of things which most people only mention a little bit in their poems.
All and all i give it a 9/10 because i like longer poems but that's just me.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

Someone comment on Alt's poem please? Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaasssssssseeee?
Yours was great, adrecka. The sensory details were well represented.

mokomonkey
mokomonkey
50 posts
Nomad

OOH! ANDRECKA, YOURS WAS BEAUTIFUL!! I LOVED YOUR DIVERSE VOCABULARY!!

mokomonkey
mokomonkey
50 posts
Nomad

o.m.g. I spelled ur name wrong. T-T i'm so stupiiiid!! sorry adrecka!!

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
304 posts
Peasant

Thank you guys, and I don't mind that you spell my name wrong everyone does. And Thisisnotanalt, If you are referring to your poem, I really liked it. I agree it had some great vocabulary. But what i like the most was that you could make a great poem and still make it funny with out going over board *She points to Last line of your poem*, You also had great metaphors which really add a lot of class to the poem.The only thing is that some sentences should be capitalized, but I am not big on spelling and grammer anyway.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

Funny thing, is that on my thread, firetsil also said that I should watch my poetry capitalization. Hmmmmm. . . .

jediboy277
jediboy277
149 posts
Peasant

here goes!

Misconceptions

there once was a brick.

not imagy enough for ya??

there once was a red brick.

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
304 posts
Peasant

Jediboy.....well maybe you'll win the most wierd poem... =)

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

Maybe. . . .
-------
I like broad themes like this, where you start with a shapeless lump of clay and sculpt it into a vibrant poem.

jediboy277
jediboy277
149 posts
Peasant

thank you, thank you!!

Showing 751-765 of 3868