ForumsArt, Music, and WritingPeriodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

3868 3753440
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

First, I will post the overall rules, and then I will post the specifics about this week.

Original rules, as stated by Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

OK, on to this week's topic...Again, we are having a style instead of a theme. Also, this week we are having TWO WEEKS to do it, instead of the usual one. Why? Because this will be an EPIC poem. Or, rather, a parody of an epic poem. Generally, epic poetry is very long, and tells the serious story of a heroic figure. Well, this week, the epic figure is YOU! Write a long poem (I'll leave the definition of 'long' up to you, but give it a good go) about the heroic story of you! It can be silly, serious, whatever... just have fun with it. You have two weeks, so have a great time!
  • 3,868 Replies
choazmachine
choazmachine
1,044 posts
Nomad

*Copy right infringement* JK!
(The above poem is called up...)

Where are they coming up with these themes? What is going to be this weeks theme? It's sunday, and I see no judging!? Tsk tsk tsk, that's a shame. Do your job judges :P! Anyway what will the next theme be? Maybe, just maybe, if the the theme is "good" (my standards) I think I'll submit some poetry but all there is fir themes is feelings and moods and such, we need to move to a different topic by now...

Well hope this week's theme will be a good one, and good luck to the contestants on "Anxiety" theme.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

Choaz. . .this IS the new theme for this week. . . .

I already won the one for fear. . . .

And the emotion themes are great. It leads to more profound submissions.

wistress
wistress
262 posts
Peasant

Where are they coming up with these themes? What is going to be this weeks theme? It's sunday, and I see no judging!? Tsk tsk tsk, that's a shame. Do your job judges :P! Anyway what will the next theme be? Maybe, just maybe, if the the theme is "good" (my standards) I think I'll submit some poetry but all there is fir themes is feelings and moods and such, we need to move to a different topic by now...

Chaoz, you see no judging today because judging for the "fear" theme was done on Wednesday, June 24th, all you would have had to have done was read a few prior posts (Page 121) to know that. Please, don't jump to conclusions if you are not staying up to date with this thread.
On June 24th on page 121 in this thread I stated the following, "Anyway THIS WEEKS THEME IS ANXIETY. The deadline is Friday, July 3rd. I am staying with the emotion based theme this week because I think they make more interesting poems. Good Luck! "

*Copy right infringement* JK!
(The above poem is called up...)

If you cry "copyright infringement", where is the proof? Who wrote this? Please let us know.

And the emotion themes are great. It leads to more profound submissions.

Thanks Thisisnotanalt, I agree.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

i titled the poem 'Up'. The blockbuster pixar-disney movie is also called up. The poem is orignial, and the name seemed to fit. I can change the name if you want.

choazmachine
choazmachine
1,044 posts
Nomad

If you cry "copyright infringement", where is the proof? Who wrote this? Please let us know.

Chill out! Loosen up, and the whole nine yards...
Jeez it was a lame joke. HELLO the movie called UP? Ring some tingles in there (heh that sounds funny)
And relax, my bad, I thought judging was on the beginning of new weeks, makes sense for them to be judged then, and after all that lighting me up, you didn't even answer my simple question... strange.
And I never said the emotion themes where bad, I just said we ought to explore topics more.

And the up thing, just wow, if you didn't realize that, or nothing clicked with the movie and such. And you don't have to change the name... er people have to be SO literal and up tight. You have one life to live right?
choazmachine
choazmachine
1,044 posts
Nomad

Great poem by the way Mav. I hope you get in first! ;-D

wistress
wistress
262 posts
Peasant

Why WOULD anyone post a statement stating "copyright infringement" on any type of artistic thread and expect it NOT to be taken seriously? That's the same as stating &quotlagiarism", both are illegal practices. Hmmm ...just wondering. No, Chaoz, haven't heard of the movie "Up" (until now), don't watch TV (I prefer to read), therefore don't see any previews and I'm not a huge pixar anime fan.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

thanks! me too!

yea Up was ok, it was about life...only pixar movie i really like is finding nemo...

is somebody a mr grumpy gills?

wistress
wistress
262 posts
Peasant

Just a heads-up to let peeps know that there is only 3 days left until judging. Great poems so far!

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

todays monday right? no its sunday...

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Tuesday. At least here, and in most of Europe and the US.

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
304 posts
Peasant

HAY I"M BACK. And it seems a little tense here. Just remember this is a contest so keep it calm. But its also for fun so keep it exciting. I cant think of a good Anxiety poem so either you will get a really lame poem or none at all....Wait and see.

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
304 posts
Peasant

Ok here is the lame one.

Time slows to a crawl.
And I feel it rising, this thing inside me
Growing to unimaginable depths.

As I wait and wonder, what will happen next.
This thing inside me causes my mind to whirl.
This is what it lives for, to torment me
To make me think of the worst.

When you have to make a decision of life or death.
When your waiting for the bad news to come.
When you know there's nothing you can do.
It comes to you.

Its not fear, but no less as strong
It comes alive to make you worry.
It feeds on and creates misery

The only thing you can do is wait.
Time is the only thing that can conquer it
Time can make it go away.

When, what you were waiting for is here.
The thing inside you disappears.
But sometimes Anxiety is replaced with fear.

By: Adrecka

wistress
wistress
262 posts
Peasant

Adrecka, I personally think the above poem is beautiful.

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
304 posts
Peasant

Thanks, I just seemed a little of topic to me. I had trouble making Anxiety different from fear. Because for me that a sorta one in the same. Or at least similar steps. Anxiety leading to fear.

Showing 1201-1215 of 3868