ForumsArt, Music, and WritingPeriodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

3868 3202909
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

First, I will post the overall rules, and then I will post the specifics about this week.

Original rules, as stated by Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

OK, on to this week's topic...Again, we are having a style instead of a theme. Also, this week we are having TWO WEEKS to do it, instead of the usual one. Why? Because this will be an EPIC poem. Or, rather, a parody of an epic poem. Generally, epic poetry is very long, and tells the serious story of a heroic figure. Well, this week, the epic figure is YOU! Write a long poem (I'll leave the definition of 'long' up to you, but give it a good go) about the heroic story of you! It can be silly, serious, whatever... just have fun with it. You have two weeks, so have a great time!
  • 3,868 Replies
TheWarTank33
TheWarTank33
1,081 posts
Nomad

awww, I accidentally left out a word... ok here's what mine was supposed to read:

Christmas Disappointment:

I found a white seed,
Underneath my Christmas tree,
Why was there a seed,
Where my presents should be?...please,
Santa, don't do this to me!

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

Yielee: I'm sorry, but you can only submit one Tanka to the contest. If you can't fit your idea into one tanka, then something's wrong, because the point of the style is minimalism and conciseness.

yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

LOL, entries? I think not. I was just pointing out that some of the authors won't win the contest because they can't count. If you scroll up through the recent Tanka-wannabe's you'll spy the words "girl, boil, orange, crumbling, and while" which mess up the author's chances, because they destroy the Tanka pattern! Since you didn't notice this before, Parsat, I'll have to assume that you are having trouble counting, too! Yes, judging from your armatar's 4 fingers, I'd guess that's right! Good thing for you school's starting again, you can get in some more practice counting!

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

I have not looked into the poems closely yet because I have not closed judging yet. Come judging I will check for errors and disqualify those that did not follow the proper format.

I approached your tankas in good faith because I believed they were multiple entries into the contest, but I don't appreciate the reply you gave to me, because it reads to me as highly condescending. If you wish to submit into the contest, you may still do so, but be sure you clearly designate your submission.

wistress
wistress
262 posts
Peasant

Seriously, all joking aside, are you THAT lazy? You don't need to look closely, just a quick scan for pattern agreement on recent entries.

Don't try the, "it's their responsibility to follow the rules" idea, because you just excuse your own responsibility to make certain that people who spend time on your contest are rewarded. You want to keep solid entries to have better contests. I mean, like, who wants to be a suck judge of a suck contest? You have participants who spend a lot of work creating entries.

There's choazmachine above, who did some research. Instead of letting them know, "hey, you gotta fix this line", you choose to remain silent. Do you know what will happen come judging time?? High-quality entries such as the poem by choazmachine and others, will be disqualified without their knowing why. Next contest, they won't be so enthusiastic to enter, if they bother entering at all.

That's a whole lotta SUCK

I don't usually pay attention to flamers, however, let me get this straight, because I will only say this once ... Parsat does NOT have to justify his actions to you. If you want to point out something to a fellow poster, post it directly to them and make a kind remark. If you saw mistakes, kindly point it out to the "mistakee" . There is no harm in doing that. Parsat does NOT have to do anything until judging day. Remember, his job is a voluntary and mostly non-thankful job. In addition, when you flame the judge, it doesn't do yourself, nor anyone else any favors. YOU and people like you are the reason I stopped judging this contest. I'd like to thank you for reminding me of that.
wistress
wistress
262 posts
Peasant

Oh, and BTW, yielee, posting a little winking smile after each paragraph doesn't make your bitter words sound like sugar. :/

yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

They aren't bitter, just descriptive, but whatever, I'll go play where there aren't poor judges both past and present. At least you knew when to STOP!

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

First Tanka, but seems similar enough to haikus

Why do we fight on?
Is it for the generals?
For pride and glory?
The cannons stop to listen,
We fight for the men in line.

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

Okay, entries are officially closed. However, some of you did not follow the proper format. I will alert those of you who didn't do the form right on your comments. To ensure correctness, I have checked each trouble spot in the dictionary.

Those of you who used words like "while" or "boil," I will let you off, because my dictionaries are clear that the long I sound does not constitute a second vowel, despite popular pronunciation into two syllables.

Those of you whom I contact, please submit your revisions here or to my comments page ASAP so that the judging may fully commence. If after three days I do not receive a reply in this contest page or on my comments (which is after the 15th), your entry will be disqualified.

For those of you who did it right, I commend you. Through a cursory read I can see your distinctive styles, and I shall be honored to continue to judge. I will ask for your patience while I receive the other entries.

zlith
zlith
1,252 posts
Nomad

Correction of my entree

The dead tree

When he was taunted,
he climbed the dead lonely tree.
His sanctuary.
He saw a beautiful girl,
and the tree flowered with her.

GuitarHeroFtw
GuitarHeroFtw
859 posts
Nomad

I was siting here wondering what is a tanka?
Probably made up by some sort of wan**

Unable to continue my poem with any more knowledge.
i decided i'd need to learn more to get into colledge.

TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

Um, what's the next theme? Are you done judging? When will it be chosen? So many questions.

XD

But seriously.

GuitarHeroFtw
GuitarHeroFtw
859 posts
Nomad

This threads dying

evilsmilyface
evilsmilyface
101 posts
Peasant

Sorta wondering how much longer until the judging is done and what the next theme will be.....

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

Apologies for my lateness. It is uncharacteristic of me, but I have not been spending much time in AG as of late. Still, I've taken time to read each carefully and ponder their meanings.

As I read, I considered a few things. First off, let it be known that the strict syllabic form of the tanka is not merely to make it sound good or for any real additional effect, the basis by which Western poetry is based. It's not meant to be literal, but at the same time not meant to be cliche.

The art of the haiku and the tanka is like dropping a stone in a pond: You read, and the waters of your mind are disturbed, only to return to clarity when you realize their meaning. The art of the tanka and the haiku is that the smallest pebble is used to create ripples, just ripples, no splash. It is not what is said that is important, it is what is implied that is important. This is a common theme in all Eastern poetry and prose, and makes for very interesting reading.

I have, of course, chosen a merit prize winner. Let us first, though, disturb the waters with several runner-ups, arranged in no particular order. Know that I hold each of these equal and thought-provoking. To each of the winners, I have written my thoughts and responses in the form of a reply tanka.

wistress--Begotten
Fairy wings full flight
Chasing fireflies at night
Her eyes impart love
And she, I am in awe of
Begetting warm emotion

Where does love come from?
The wind rustling through the leaves:
Blowing, twirling fast,
Carrying the fairy wings,
Soft and new like the newborn.

choazmachine--Fury
The oceans turn black
The skies boil into blood red
Bodies lay silent
While flames swallow the lost books
And with everything they took

Struggles of power:
Murderous as struggling life.
Prey or predator
Reincarnated again.
The shoots grow, awkward in ash.

nichodemus--Sighs
The moon waxes round
As I toss and turn by night.
The cavorting rays,
Simultaneous torment,
Hopes that live and hopes that die.

JereN--Eternal
Your day of joy comes
That day you really are free
Your friends no joy see
Priest speaks same old words all know
From earth to earth, dust to dust

Barren, dusty cracks
In which green life takes its root.
An aching question:
Born from dust, like leafy kin,
Is the flower part of me?

Merit Prize Winner: Maverick4--Transience
Shrouded sea of pine
Orange-robed monks meditate
Nettles drifting down
Raking through a rock garden
Crumbling-lichen covered wall

Flowing, patterned rocks
Will be gusted and scattered.
The hollow men burst.
Even life will not survive;
Only the eternal way.

It's been a popular suggestion for me to introduce a dark, tragic theme. I pondered loss, loneliness, angst, but they are all so hollow: We grieve and move on, the lonely cease to be lonely by friends or death, and angst does not endure. None of them are even as horrific or as permanent as the quality I give to you as this week's theme: Numbness. Submissions will be closed on September 26, 2009.

Showing 1486-1500 of 3868