ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 4142255
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Naww, Zoph promised noone was going to do that...
Oh well... Better do somethin' bout it myself.

tennisman24
tennisman24
4,682 posts
Farmer

Dang Cenere you are a good artist.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Z: Yes. I wonder how many noticed it in the title...
C: Nooooneee!!

Oh right I typically don't read everything the first time so I just noticed you guys had said that.As a note I noticed that earlier today,but decided not to say anything because I thought it seemed pretty obvious.
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Hmm, I'm trying to see if I should be patriotic and make an inspirational WW2 poster with the Lyrics of "over there" (a popular WW2 song for ww2, of which is totally stuck in my head) at the bottom of it, or if I should do something different. Not sure if I'll be able to do it, though.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Hooray for political correctness!

Not so politically correct is "it looked good, just not good enough." Unless your presiding judge is a maverick and likes to piss people off. Though that makes me wonder, has anybody formed their own idea of what's going on? Does the power of imagination count in this day and age?

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Yay! I didn't place!

New topic eh? Countries? Will get around to it eventually...

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

it looked good, just not good enough.

... Okay, you know what:
I did not really like it. Strop looks off, like someone has hit him in the face with a shark. The other looks more off. Strop's eyes are weird and fishy, and even thought the story is all fine and so, it could and should have been done better.
At least I commented.
Ogt2
Ogt2
288 posts
Peasant

I think this time I'll just post my drawing, shut the hell up, and wait for the results to arrive... Even if it's in 2059...
So expect this to be my last comment until the results (YAY A WEEK OF SILENCE! so I'm taking advantage: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABLABLABLAFUGUFUGUFUGU... *mutes*)

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

At this point, I must weigh up whether I prefer a genuine criticism over a backhanded compliment.

I prefer genuine criticism. Strop's eyes do look off because they look fishy. But within this, there is also tact.

At this point, I will also add that there is a difference between being direct and lacking tact. To reference a thread in the S&S, one thing that a moderator must have at all times is tact and good grace. I would argue that likewise, this applies to those in any position of public authority.

...but there are places where lacking tact can be a huge advantage. Places, for example, where we need character

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

I have a brilliant idea... yes. mm. I do...

*fades into the shadows*

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Strop, Cenere, what are you two arguing about?

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

OK,I wanted to add in Australia,but then I looked at their flag and how much space I had left and said screw it.So here is my entry...

International Sasquatches
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd349/crimsonblade55/Countries-1.png

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

@ Ubertuna: Nothing as of present, though I'm sure there are things we could argue about if the circumstances arose. To summarise-

a) I made an entry for the contest. A few people (not including myself) expected it to win.
b) The judges likewise decided that it wasn't a winner. Cenere can be quoted as saying "It was good, not good enough." I vaguely hint that such phrasing is potentially offensive in this context.
c) Cenere's response can be seen on page 396, I will not paraphrase it because I'm not impartial by definition.
d) I wrote a response, which is on page 397. In it I agreed that the judgement was generally valid (not least because it's not up to me to judge, obviously, but mainly because I think the criticisms were mostly valid); however I take exception to the tone and the phrasing. Implicitly raised was the question as to how important it might be for a judge on a thread such as this to observe a certain level of conduct, particularly because of their position. However I don't want to dwell on that question too much because this is teh internetz.

Regardless, I think that there should certain etiquette observed whatever the interactions. While not necessarily a feature here, I don't well tolerate rudeness nor vindictiveness.

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

Bob picked up a new hobby
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee348/Cholokid34/counttreescopy-2.jpg?t=1238637020

I thought it was clever. :/

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

hmm Cholokid I'm not sure I understand your entry.The guy is in the country as in a rural area,but other then that I don't quite get it.

Showing 3736-3750 of 6854