ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 5490183
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

*biiiig smile* Though it is going to be another dark picture (those do not win anyway, so is not really competition to the rest of the pictures), this is going to be gooood>:]

Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

Wikipedia says:

The term nostalgia describes a longing for the past, often in idealized form. The word is made up of two Greek roots (νÏÏÏÎ¿Ï nostos "returning home", and Î¬Î»Î³Î¿Ï algos &quotain&quot, to refer to "the pain a sick person feels because he wishes to return to his native home, and fears never to see it again". It was described as a medical condition, a form of melancholy, in the Early Modern period, and came to be an important topic in Romanticism.

Any better explanations?
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Nostalgia is my territory. I really can't think of what exactly to draw though. What would make the most impact on Strop? *researches Strop's childhood*
Interesting how this competition has become more and more aimed at Strop... I suppose that is a side effect of the way he judges?
Not saying anything against it or saying that you work by aiming at Strop, Gantic~ Just finding it interesting.

fst, you are a minimalist, aren't you. :P
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

He sucks, he blows

yeah, your TOTALLY one for bestiality your freaky pony-anthro-kitty-man thing.
So yeah, I'm not a fanboy unless you catch me out >:3

I caught u mr. RASENGAN, I had to read my friends books to figure out what the heck that means.
"Who the heck where's a mask under another mask?!"
"Why, Strop does of course!"
~joke taken from naruto ep. 100, I used to be quite a narutard, till my grandpa (whom I watched with) passed away.
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

now that someone posted, I can say that I was suddenly inspired! Unlike most entries, this one is going to feature the Nergyl Child, of which is my favorite O.C. Let's just say the title says:
Seems so wrong but feels so righT.
Codname ST.

either way, I think I'l lhave fun making it, and yeah, it's on paper, I hope the details will show for once <.<U

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

Interesting how this competition has become more and more aimed at Strop... I suppose that is a side effect of the way he judges?
Not saying anything against it or saying that you work by aiming at Strop, Gantic~ Just finding it interesting.

That was a joke. It would be more a joke if I drew a dead moth on a windowsill. Nostalgia has a greater effect when there is some commonality, that quintessential feeling of home and the want of home.

I could draw a wide empty street on a sunny day, a few Hondas and Toyotas parked along the sidewalk, trees and lawns, and 60-70% of the picture is blue sky.

Or an empty room with a hardwood floor and walls painted white, sunlight splayed on the ground and a corner of it up the wall taking something from something I wrote some years ago:
Curtain filtered window light cast across the floor
In the hours before the night they pitter patter out the door

It wouldn't matter if it doesn't mean anything. There is only so much that can be conveyed and that can be magnified by the viewer's interpretation, and that is evidently what I put into my game comments sometimes, especially the ones that have that ineffable quality about them.

To render the ineffable feeling of nostalgia and not specifically the theme and meaning of nostalgia is really what I'm going for. Not just to whoever happens to be the judge of this competition, regardless of however helpful that may prove to be, but to everyone.
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

I like this theme.If I have enough time I will add some 3D Models in turn it all into a jpg and hopefully make one of my best references yet.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

You want nostalgia? Well, I can not draw at all...but I can offer something up!

Games.Of.Gondor.

^_^

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Games.Of.God.
LOL.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

OK, well I'm finally finished with my submission,and I do think it is one of the best ones so far as far as artistically.It took me quite a while to get the 3D effects just right to export into GIMP, then to draw the characters and their faces the exact way I wanted them, then I had to get creative with my use of the fresco style effect.In the end I came up with something so complex instead of having just a title it also has a background story.

Background Story
Eventually Yeti asked where Sasquatch got his original cursed Bell pepper,and seeing as how he didn't want her to know what happened(the barber incident)he made up a story for her.He is quite a good liar so to this day, as far as she knows he used to be called "The Crimson Sasquatch" and found it flying with wings of fire over a road in the sky.She just assumed the smile on his face was from pleasant nostalgia

Fake Memory Lane
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd349/crimsonblade55/MemoryLane-1.jpg

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

THIS

IS

NOSTALGIA!!!

hahaha sorry. Inside joke.

What a doodah of a topic. I wonder if doodah is the correct word for that sentence. I have a few ideas.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

The expression of Yeti there is wonderful, Crimson!

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

THIS IS NOSTALGIA!!!

no. . .
THIS
IS
ATHENS!

PWND
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

no. . .THIS IS ATHENS!

Actually I believe this is ArmorGames.com
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

@Gantic:
I've really come to respect you as an artist, in many ways. Just thought I'd mention that.

*agrees with Cenere* Really nice expression.

Showing 2041-2055 of 6854