ForumsArt, Music, and WritingStrop's sporadic scrapbook

1567 729994
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Right, so I pulled out of the previous GFX round due to not being able to finish on time. Since then I've been working on the image on-and-off and now it's finished only about a week late.

The picture shown below is half the size, the fullsize one can be found by clicking on the picture.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/dongstyle_ltd/Not%20photos/technologyfinal.jpg

The full resolution pic (1280xs1024) is low quality...the high quality version is 1.1Mb and doesn't fit on photobucket xD Lame. Except I feel justified with the size...this was hand-drawn from start to finish.

I should have tidied up the sketchlines more, but wasn't actually intending to spend this much effort on it. Meh.

• 1,567 Replies
Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Lol, just the hands?? It's just a quick (coloured) sketch. XD

jpx111
jpx111
264 posts
Nomad

lol and the head i guess :P...but that's all that is messed up

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

X) I think the clothes are off too, and I forgot to erase that thighline which can be seen through his tail~

And I just realized I managed to misspell pony. >.>

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

omg, that is totally awesome. Thank you so much zophia!

p.s. now it's your turn to draw the thighs too long bwahahahaha :P Nah, still epic. I love your style.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

...come to think of it it's not the thighs that are too long, but maybe the body? Because I drew the clothes as a one-piece it can be a bit deceptive though.

p.p.s. ninjapojny lmao.

Okay, so I'm not spamming, I managed to finish page 5 last night. I've changed the style more towards what I'll be using in the actual cartoon, and I think I'll be using a larger resolution though you can tell me which you prefer by clicking on the picture and comparing.

Warning: There is one expletive that has been censored here (because it's on AG) but has not been censored in the larger version (becuase it's not on AG). If a single use of the S word offends you, don't click.

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/strugglerspilot05censored.jpg

Frankly I love this page because I managed to put in so many levels of humor into it. And the linework is getting cleaner since I've been fiddling with the touch settings on the tablet. Now it's a matter of finding the right software.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Argh, triplepost because I forgot...the downside of improving page quality is that instead of 2 hours, it takes me closer to 5, meaning I can't afford to update daily but maybe once every 3 days. Really I just want to work up a reserve of maybe 50 strips then release twice a week...then "whenever I feel like it" after that :P

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

X) Not sure if it's the thighs or the back, but I definitely got confused over the way his legs are jointed together - I usually draw the thighs shorter and that last part before the hoof which I don't know what is called a bit longer. But yes, the torso/back does seem slightly too long... Oh well, it was a quick one, and you like it anyway.
Laughing your behind off over my typo? XP Pojnies ftw.

And yay for another page! I definitely think the higher quality will be worth the longer wait.
One thing, though. I can't read the little squiggly writing in the last frame. Do I need thicker glasses, or is it just really tiny?

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

It's really tiny. At full resolution it's not quite so tiny but it's still really tiny. I wasn't aiming to have it readable as it's a muttered aside that Hound Dawg certainly wouldn't have heard.

But it reads "But I gotta say that wasn't very helpful..."

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Wow, a whole week since I posted. I did get sidetracked!

Page 6:

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/strugglerspilot06small.jpg

Notes: Click on image for fullsize. I will be going with the fullsize from now on.

Frame 2 indicates that I've read waaaaayyyy too much Naruto.

Doing decent lettering is a pain but doing it typed looks like a copout.

I use a lot of manga references but don't want to be too strongly influenced by manga. I need to work towards a more integrated treatment of frame for one. I'm also developing my own way of using the expression and mood markings and since this is colored I think I can work something relatively unique out. Also, I refuse to use english sound effects if they're too corny, but don't want to use Japanese characters either, so I decided to use symbols, haha.

What awaits our protagonist at the top of the stairs!? *gasp*

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

you know, it's kind of ironic, the DOG is calling his bud DAWG. That's kinda funny. And I suspect that there is some weird rap concert at the top, or several "bitches" get it? GO DICTIONARY.COM!

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Last frame confuses me, but otherwise it's well done as usual.
I'll question the shading on the dog's muzzle in that second to last frame, though. Stripy?

Story has caught me, I'll probably continue reading. Don't get too busy with other things. :P

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

lol thoad, just... *shoots you in the face* straight up, you're no G :P But yeah, you're getting pretty warm.

Zophia: Being a segue, the last frame does look confusing without the context of the next page: it's actually supposed to! You will (hopefully) understand by the next page, not just what the frame is but why it's there.

As for the shading, my light glare effect was off-alighnment, oops :P It was also supposed to extend a bit further. You do know that I'm going to cut this short halfway and leave you all hanging, while I go right back to the start, right :P And believe me, I've got the framework of the story written...it's a loooong story!

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Hehe, of course you'll leave us all hanging the moment it gets really interesting~
But I will at least look forward to the next page and the sense of the last frame so far.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Ha, it's been like a week since I posted here, because I've been doing...like, other stuff. Yeah. Haha.

Only got a few minutes, so I'll update. I still wasn't entirely happy with the stylings thus far re: Strugglers and so I decided to do a character sheet with a new approach. Something a little more street-art, that emulates pen, texta and acrylics.

This is just part of the page that actually fits in here, so it will look slightly strange but it's an extract so there you go:

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/crimsonfireextract.jpg

Yes, a little on the racy side. This character belongs to a friend of mine and I was given quite specific instruction on what she'd like, so, yeah, there you go :P

Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

I like the eyes. They really contrast with the red of the fur. The glowing effect that you seemed to add to them helps with that too.

Showing 61-75 of 1567