ForumsSupport ForumIdea concerning the New Feature

31 4599
Nomad

If you don't know what the idea is refer here.

I remember reading something in an old topic about deleting inactive users. The only problem with this was people were unsure if the account was inactive or the person only got on to play games.

With this new-handy-dandy feature we can see if a user has even been logged on in so much time.

I say we start a list. A list of accounts inactive by so much time. Say... 6 months or more? When you come across one of these accounts you can simply copy and past the link in to a topic provided for the sole purpose of that list. Maybe I can even have a mod change the name of this topic and we can start the list on here. (If this catches on.)

Now I'm not sure how exactly web-sites work. (I'm in web-mastering this year But I would assume that having many inactive accounts would slowly bog down the system. Not 100% sure though.

• 31 Replies
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Well, mvp guy we have been discussing that just now! XD

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

Ghost accounts don't slow anything down. They have no harm, every website has ghost profiles, so who cares?

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

I personally think that automatic comment block after say, two weeks of inactivity, would be a great way to deal with those who are spamming ghost accounts. Deletion would possibly be a little too much work compared to what positives it may have.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Technically, couldn't if they Developers have got the last login date there, can't they just run a script that can easily delete all of the inactive profiles?

Klaus did something similar with his friend adder, and my school computer technician could run a script to check all the students files for games, so can't this be done?

This would be much better to do I think!

KingRyan

Nomad

@ Kingryan

Yeah I mean it shouldn't be too hard at all.

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

I think it should be 8 months though. For example, it wouldn't be good if KingOfGames's account would be deleted, eh?

Happy ArmorGamesDay!

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

I say we start a list. A list of accounts inactive by so much time. Say... 6 months or more? When you come across one of these accounts you can simply copy and past the link in to a topic provided for the sole purpose of that list. Maybe I can even have a mod change the name of this topic and we can start the list on here. (If this catches on.)

Now I'm not sure how exactly web-sites work. (I'm in web-mastering this year But I would assume that having many inactive accounts would slowly bog down the system. Not 100% sure though.

There are a few reasons why we have not done this.

Firstly, it is not an issue with how fast the site is running. The inactive accounts are not affecting site performance, or we would have considered getting rid of them before now.

Some people make accounts, and do not come on them very much. I have accounts on different sites that I started years ago, but I go and check in every now and again just for fun. It would be a shame if all the progress was deleted. And I feel the same way for AG. People work pretty hard for AP, it would be sad for them to take a break, and come back later only yo find that all of their progress is gone.
Nomad

@ Carlie

Thanks for clearing up the performance problem.

On another note, the accounts I would be talking about are the ones that have never been in use. Many that I have seen have 0 AP and are from 7-8 months ago.

How old is this site?

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

This site for me is older than 7 years.For me.It didn't have any users or chatting.Had a better layout but i like the organization more.

Nomad

Ok, but I mean as far as accounts go. How long has the site been here?

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

I think AG 2.0 has been around since January,or maybe a little earlier.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

About 4 to 5 years

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Ok, but I mean as far as accounts go. How long has the site been here?

It went live in January, I am not sure the exact day though.
Nomad

Ok, well I guess if they cause no problem, it wouldn't make sense to delete them.

I guess it's just the fact that they are THERE when they don't need to be. I'm also a neat-freak, haha.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

I said:

Carlie said before bluntly that these accounts do not slow down the site.

Then Carlie said:

The inactive accounts are not affecting site

I said:

AG 2.0 has been around since January

Then Carlie said:

It went live in January

Carlie are you starting to see an odd pattern here?Anyways....line,while someone could have possibly made a ghost account,there could also be accounts that were made for others reasons besides posting stuff on the site,and we can't prove that its a ghost account.The only issue I would like to see resolved is to have accounts that have been inactive have their comments locked automatically so people can't complain about them being spammed.
Showing 16-30 of 31