ForumsArt, Music, and WritingThe *new* official reviews contest!

22 5099
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Hi guys, finally getting this rolling.

Fst6 had been discussing this idea with DragonMistress originally, and there seems to be some enthusiasm so here it is!

The Weekly Reviews Contest

To start with, the rules are simple.

* Every week, somebody (me to start with, I guess) will nominate something (a game, to start with) and the reviews posted here will have to be written on that game.

* The entries will then be judged and the user who wrote the best review will receive a merit, provided that review was good enough to get a merit.

There is something to note here, though. We already give merits to people who post on games hosted here. Since the forum is more reader-friendly, we'll be expecting a much higher standard. This is the place to write proper reviews, so I will include tips:

* The review should be comprehensive and cover as many aspects as possible (graphics, gameplay, sound, issues etc.)

* The review should be structured (have an introduction, a body with supported statements and a conclusion).

* If a review contains spoilers the author must say so before said spoilers. "SPOILER ALERT" is good enough. Otherwise you may be disqualified.

* Google is all-powerful. We will know if you've plagiarised. That will also get you disqualified.

Apocalypse has kindly offered his services as a judge so he will be helping me out. Since I'm the one handing out the merit, though, I'll have the final say for now.

• 22 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

The first topic shall be Free Rider 2!

The deadline: Friday 3rd October

If needed I'll write my own review at the end to show you a general idea of what you'll be aiming for.

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

Please make a starter topic, Strop.

Also, are we reveiwing our opinions, or are we debating one on one?

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Huh, I guess nobody saw my second post :P That explains a lot.

In bold now:

The first topic shall be Free Rider 2!

Write and post your own (and your own only) review here. The deadline shall be Monday the 6th October!

As a loose guideline I hope to see reviews at least 200-300 words long.

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Free Rider 2: Slippery slopes of boredom?
A review by Klaushouse

Free rider 2 sucks.

The End.

No but really. I will may review this sometime.

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Comon guys! Make reviews! xD

Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

*starts working on a review*
*sees the words Friday October 3rd*
*works faster*

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

That's the spirit Owen. Hopefully we can find some competition! :P

plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

Interesting, I will write one up later ( or maybe I will start now).

plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

Wait a minute, wouldn't it give an advantage to those who start later, they can take things from earlier people's post.

Danstanta
Danstanta
1,702 posts
Blacksmith

Some challenge Ehy?
I might be lookin' fowerd to this.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Plokkey: the same applies to all competitions like that...the later entrants, if they've been paying attention, will know what the earlier entrants' standards are like. In this case this means you can post as late (or as early) as you like if you think that will affect the competition.

I may actually not be running the competition in later stages and might even write my own reviews, so with that in mind, just write your best!

plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

Plokkey: the same applies to all competitions like that...the later entrants, if they've been paying attention, will know what the earlier entrants' standards are like. In this case this means you can post as late (or as early) as you like if you think that will affect the competition.

Ok..

Problem #2: People can just copy the comments from here and have a lower chance of being caught because yea..

Also is the deadline the 6th or the 3rd?
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

No they won't- that's why we encourage longer reviews here: they're more visible and copying comments from here can and will be picked up, I mean it's in the same thread :P

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Plokk those are some minor problems, copiues are usually easy to spot, more so than you think. People have a certain style when writing that is easy to pick up, and it is tends to become noticeable of they copy. It's how teachers do it too.

Also if this becomes popular enough, and people start copying earlier works, then we can put in place a system where you submit your review somewhere people can't see it and it will only be posted here when said competition is done and we are judging!

But I don't think there should be a problem

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
304 posts
Peasant

I would like to do this but it is oct. 14 and there in no new commpitions and no entres, i am suprised to see that people care so much about the safty of there comments. That is what we have moderatros for. Also no one could us them in a later commpitition on here, cause for one: it should never be the same game 2. And 2 if ypou just keep it on here, mods can look back and make sure no ones copyed.

Showing 1-15 of 22