ForumsArt, Music, and WritingUT's Audio Contest! (over and done with)

102 26635
ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

UT's Audio Contest!
Hey there! This is the official thread for my unofficial audio contest! This is where you can find information about the contest, sign up, and post your songs. Let's go over the contest rules:

RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Your song must be original (no remixes)
- Lyrics are allowed, but nothing inappropriate
- Songs must be 1:30 or longer
- NO STOLEN MUSIC if you plagiarize, will will find you >
- Your music must be written for this contest, no using already completed songs.
- There are no restrictions on genre or method of creation

DEADLINES
- The deadline for signing up is Friday, October 10th
- The deadline for submissions is Friday, October 24th
- Judging will take place from October 25th to October 30th

Results will be announced on October 31st

SIGNING UP
To sign up, just make a post in this forum saying that you want to enter the contest.

SUBMITTING
After you have completed your song, submit it's mp3 file to [url]http://www.zshare.net/[/url]. Leave the link to your submission and your song name on this page. As stated before, the deadline for submissions is Friday, October 24th, so don't be late!

PRIZES!
1st Place: A copy of Cubase 4 or FL Studio Pro.
2nd - 3rd Place: 50 AP
Everybody Else: Cruel Mockery

The reason that I'm not giving out more prizes is because I am running this contest out of my own pocket, and I don't have stacks of cash lying around at the moment.

JUDGING
The contest will be judged by the AG moderators (except for those who are participating). We are happy to except users to our judging panel, but there are a few requirements:

- Impartiality to music genre
- Impartiality to user
- Knowledge of music
- Good member
- Not entered in the contest

The deadline for judging signups is also going to be the 10th.

Have fun guys!

• 102 Replies
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

well I am running two other contests that pertain to music so I wouldn't mind helping judge this one as well.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

well actually (enter generic sorry for double post message here)but I worded that kind of poorly.I am currently holding one music related contest,and am trying to start up another one,but have had no success so far.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

No judging for me! Sign me up! I have a couple questions for you though, Ubertuna. I'll send you an email, so check your inbox!

jpx111
jpx111
264 posts
Nomad

This looks great Ubertuna and just to clarify, digitally made music is accepted right?...

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Yes. Both digital and instrumental music are accepted.

Strat
Strat
107 posts
Nomad

I haven't composed anything in years, but this is just the incentive I need to start this up again, so I'm in.

Uh, just wondering though. Are these also judged according to their sound quality independently of their musical attributes (like, whether they happen to sound like they're professionally mastered versus only having access to rudimentary equipment to record the sound)?

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

This contest is going to be focused on skill in songmaking, rather than quality of sound. This is mainly because there aren't that many professional musicians on AG with access to high quality recording devices and software. The whole point of the contest is to make some of this equipment available to aspiring artists. Also, I am going to add this to the list of choices for the first place prize.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Wow I don't know where you are getting the money for all of this,but that's nice.Anyways I want to see if you would let me be a judge.I would like to know since I need to set everything up.Also I'm glad you are letting the judging be for a whole week,b/c I am quite busy at times,especially now that I'm on my schools robotics team.Anyways my offer of judging for this contest still stands,and if needed my dad has been a drummer for over 25 years and my mom a pianist for....I think since she was a kid,but if I need to I can have them share some opinions and do my judging accordingly.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Just to clarify, the first prize isn't FL Studio Pro, Cubase 4, AND the mic. The winner gets to pick which one of those three items they want. Also, if you have access to a resource such as your parents, feel free to ask them about some of the components of good music when you're reviewing the submissions.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Well I kinda knew that,but do you already own all of these devices?If you plan on paying for them afterwords then that would explain it,but if you own them all already then that's what I meant by "where are you getting the money for it."Also that's nice to know,and I don't know if you will see a submission from me,but all I know is that if I do not manage to put something together that I shall judge for the contest instead.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Oh no, I plan to purchase the prizes after the contest is over. I have my own music software, but it is a little better than what I have listed in the prize selection, and I don't intend to give any of it away :P If anybody here is interested in eventually become a professional musician, and you have money, you should consider purchasing something like this, as opposed to FL Studio.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

OK,thanks for explaining that to me.Anyways even if I don't manage to make something to submit on here.You may see something on this section from me eventually anyways.Although that wouldn't help me with this contest.

Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

This is sad...I haven't played guitar in a while, so I'm definitely rusty on that. Would it be possible to submit a vocal-only entry?

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Sure, as long as it is written by you. Also, I have been contacting the makers of the software to see if I can get sponsorships for this contest, so I might be able to give out more than the single prize, but it all depends on what kind of responses I get and how many people sign up.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

hmm if you had sponsorships then do you think it would be possible for you to hold more then one contest?Like some kind of monthly thing,if you are getting funding for it.Just wondering.

Showing 1-15 of 102