ForumsSupport ForumMerit for a merit?

34 4696
99percentcomplete
99percentcomplete
390 posts
Nomad

I was thinking about merits and such and my mind crossed the idea of a merit for a merit. Now let me explain since this sounds quite confusing. Whenever someone writes a good review of a game or something and someone votes them up they (usually) receive a merit. Now shouldn't the person who voted them up get some kind of award for helping? I've weighed up the pro's and cons
Pro's
- Encourages people to vote up people who deserve merits (which is good since people probably wouldn't vote people up in hope of beating them in AP score)
- Stops people asking for merits
- People who deserve merits get them
- Stops those people making new threads asking for more ways to get AP
- Encourages more people to make worthy comments about games since there is more chance they will be recognized.
Con's
- People would go around voting up everyone's comments (in which case they should be banned)
- If multiple people vote up someone do they all get merits? (more a question than a con).
So I'd like to hear what others think.

• 34 Replies
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

I wouldn't say the VOTERS should get a merit, heck no. It is way earier to vote up a comment than right one. But I do like the idea of somehow rewarding someone who votes up merit-worthy comments. I think that there should be a little tab under your profile that tally how many comments that you voted up, but only the ones that actually got merits.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Well i agree with the stop asking part and all the others but what kind of reward?If they get a reward then everyone would be just voting up every long comment they see.That is what you said and said they should get banned.Wouldn't that result in a major banning value of people.But i guess they would learn a lesson that we don't joke around.

99percentcomplete
99percentcomplete
390 posts
Nomad

Oh I forgot one thing, which is probably why you wrote what you did just then. The person who voted up someone (if they get a reward) wouldn't be as much as a real merit (25 AP), it would be less. So actually writing something merit worthy would still be better and worth more than voting up someone.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I wouldn't say the VOTERS should get a merit, heck no. It is way earier to vote up a comment than right one. But I do like the idea of somehow rewarding someone who votes up merit-worthy comments. I think that there should be a little tab under your profile that tally how many comments that you voted up, but only the ones that actually got merits.

Maybe a fair little "Thank you for being a loyal user and we hope to see that form you again" quote in their comments.
Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

I don't think there should be any AP involved with the voter-upper. I think a tally showing how many of the comments you voted up actually becoming merits really says something about you. That is worth more than AP.

99percentcomplete
99percentcomplete
390 posts
Nomad

Probably like 5 AP or something.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Estel you made a typo on the second sentence.

ON TOPIC:But what kind of reward should it be?

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Sorry for double posting.I commented after you guys at the same time

I don't think there should be any AP involved with the voter-upper. I think a tally showing how many of the comments you voted up actually becoming merits really says something about you. That is worth more than AP.

Can you describe it.Like how would it look? =)
99percentcomplete
99percentcomplete
390 posts
Nomad

How about if it's a cumulative thing? Like Estel said, it shows how many comments you voted up which actually gave the writer a merit. If you do this 5 times you get a reward? So if you vote up five comments and they become merits to the writer then you get some kind of reward.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Again we go back to the reward thing.But we should give them like some quote like a said earlier

99percentcomplete
99percentcomplete
390 posts
Nomad

Estel said:

I think a tally showing how many of the comments you voted up actually becoming merits really says something about you. That is worth more than AP.

So if you do this 5 times you get a reward. I just posted this again because my last post was a bit confusing.
PS. Wow this is like my fastest growing thread.
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Yah that would be a bad idea.

Because if this was initiated, there would have to be a system to make sure that people did not just go around voting up random comments to get spam.

Unless you're saying WHEN the person gets a merit, the voter upper then get's a cut. Even in that case, lame, the voter upper did no work and should not get a reward.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Estel's interpretation of this idea is really good.
That tallying up of vote-ups that become merits.

If any reward at all, it should be max one AP. Actually that would be relatively fair, since it does take time to read through the spam for merit worthy comments.
I wish more people voted up.

99percentcomplete
99percentcomplete
390 posts
Nomad

Because if this was initiated, there would have to be a system to make sure that people did not just go around voting up random comments to get spam.

There is a system, its called banning.

Unless you're saying WHEN the person gets a merit, the voter upper then get's a cut. Even in that case, lame, the voter upper did no work and should not get a reward.

The voter-upper did do some work. In helping find worthy comments that deserve merits. Say you wrote a comment. If this system went into business then there is mroe a chance that you would be recognized.
InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

There is a system, its called banning.

So, you're suggesting we start banning people who vote comments up? Even a temp. ban seems ridiculuous frivolous and it would reflect terribly on a moderator, because hey, it's just voting up

The voter-upper did do some work. In helping find worthy comments that deserve merits. Say you wrote a comment. If this system went into business then there is mroe a chance that you would be recognized.

You make a valid point, they did do some work, but they certainly didn't do anything special. It's like awarding people who flag -- why should moderators award you for something you should already be doing (in being a good member for the community)? And who knows, people might want merits just for flagging.

I like Zophia's idea though. Instead of earning merits, a reward of 1 AP would be good. It's fair, not a whole lot and seems balanced so both parties (merit receipient and voter) are happy
Showing 1-15 of 34