ForumsProgramming ForumQuestions about overall programming and game design.

20 5341
A1ter3go
A1ter3go
15 posts
Nomad

Hi, I've been looking into game design for as long as I can remember. I've been taking some basic computer class at a local community college, but all they really have is a basic scripting class.. and I believe something similar in programming. I've had a lot of trouble as well finding a university that is more based around this.

Is there anyone here at armor that has or is going to a school based around game design or anything of the sort?

Also I was wondering if there were free programs out there that would help me with the basics of programming and game design. I've read a lot on people using actionscript. Also what kind of languages are used in game design? All I've really heard of is C++.

Are there any design programs that would be useful that you have to pay for? I'd be willing to pay for a more defined understanding of everything involved.

I'd also really like to start working with flash and start out with games that are posted on the site and to have others try out and critique. What all would I really need to have a profound understanding in to be able to do this?

Forgive me if this may have been posted in the wrong forum, this seemed like the most geared towards what I was looking for.

Thank you for any help on the topic.

• 20 Replies
dank
dank
983 posts
Peasant

DigiPen is one of the popular universities that feature a major in game design, however, there are more and more colleges adding game design majors to their list.

As far as developing games goes, it really depends on what field you are looking into. If casual, Flash, AS3, and Java are the dominant languages. If you're looking at full-scale games, C++ and hexadecimal are mandatory, But for any type of game development, you will have to be an expert with OOP.

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

You know, most game makers software work the basic of programing, mostly working with "if"

Makers like Multimedia Fusion ( www.clickteam.com ) and Game Maker ( www.yoyogames.com ) are useful to get the idea

When it comes to C++, you're either programing with a game engine on PC, which there are a lot of free and paid ones, or you're programing for videogames, and then you have access to dev kits

A1ter3go
A1ter3go
15 posts
Nomad

I'd like to thank both dank and Captain_J_sheridan for the help. Digipen you said I will definitely look more into it. As far as what I'm looking into.. I wouldn't really call it casual, eventually I would like to be working mostly with console systems.. especially with the newer titles that are coming out. But I also like the advancement in computer systems and pushing the graphical boundaries like they always do.

I really enjoy rpg titles so I'm sure some of my first works will be with these types, also the more I play shooters and 3rd person action games I'm growing more fond of.

Sadly I have never even heard of OOP? I think the last time I used that I was playing DAoC and that meant out of power.

I was also thinking a little earlier about a game that recently came out that was rather impressive for being 2D and a hack and slash side scroller. I'm sure most everyone has heard of it but Castle Crashers you can play on XBLA. What kind of work needs to be done to bring something like that to life? I mean 2D graphics nothing that visually intense.

Thanks for all the help so far and I will definitely look into the sites that you both mentioned.

I'm sure you'll hear more from me in the near future, thanks again!

dank
dank
983 posts
Peasant

If you want to be in the major game industry, there are countless hats that you can wear. Programming isn't the only one. Some are: graphic artist, gameplay designer, concept artist, engine programmer, gameplay programmer, networking, design lead, etc.

OOP is object oriented programming.

CC was created by Tom Fulp and Dan Paladin of Newgrounds. They were tho two major guys who contributed to the building of the game. It took them over 2 years to complete it. I'm not sure what their means of development was, though I know the art was drawn in Flash and exported as .tiffs. The programming was probably C++.

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

Sorry to crack your dreams, but professional game making has very little to do with games itself

First, you'd need to chose a specific area, graphics, coding, musics, you can learn all of it, but a game company will look for specific employees

I remember that there was a guy involved in the making of GTA, San Andreas or IV, I don't remember, and his job was to texturize like ten buildings, and that's about it

Most of them have big teams to handle every aspect of games, to a point where a single person doesn't even come close to making something like a game

Digipen looks really great, usually Nintendo call their students when they graduate to work with them

A1ter3go
A1ter3go
15 posts
Nomad

Thanks again for all the help, and I know its a long shot.. but its something I really enjoy doing and what to get more into. I know now a days with new titles that are winning awards before release are big teams working individually.. but I think just being a part of it would be a nice way to make a living.

I think I'd like to be a graphic designer, or possible someone who works on levels and the environment and what not. I've seen a little bit of coding but nothing major, and only a friend was showing me some of it.

Anyway thanks for the help, I'd do my best to put it to good use. and I'll be sure to post anything that I come up with in the near future .

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

If you're a good level designer, get close with popular FPS and design amateur maps for it, there's a good amount of people who get hired doing this

dank
dank
983 posts
Peasant

The field of mainstream game design and development is not easy or amazing profit. The team usually spend most of their lives in at the office working with very little sleep. When a game hits crunch time, no one will sleep or leave until the game has been finished, and they do all of this without a penny's raise or bonus.

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

wow seems like a harsh working environment, arent there laws against stuff like that?

A1ter3go
A1ter3go
15 posts
Nomad

lol Raistlin, not when your over the age of 18.. those kind of laws don't apply. I would also say it isn't as harsh as it seems because most people are doing it because they love to do it. Also its similar any kind of job with deadlines when you need to meet a ship date.

Would anyone be able to tell me some of the programs that I could use to get started? I'm working on some concept art atm, but mostly for level design and such. I plan on saving up some money and getting Flash sometime in the near future.

Thanks for any help once again.

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

For graphics, try 3D Studio or Maya for 3D, if you're working with 2D, Photoshop or Corel Draw will do just fine, but Corel is vector based, so you gotta consider if it works for you

For coding, it might be a little too far, but you could get a free engine, try looking for SDL

A1ter3go
A1ter3go
15 posts
Nomad

I was curious if using rpg maker xp would be of any use to me? Has anyone tried this program, it seems halfway decent and best of all its free .

Another reason for it is I think I'd like to start working with 2D games, 16 bit and such because I really like that style. Gives the old SNES vibe which had some amazing games of its time.

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

It's pretty popular, but there's very little programming involved tough. It does suport "if"s, in the form of switchs, variables and other programming concepts like that

It's not very professional, I'd say it's the lowest of the game makers, it can create games easily, but your game will look alike a lot of other ones, unless you actually learn to customize it

A1ter3go
A1ter3go
15 posts
Nomad

Well I'm just looking for something where I could create something, and also have it to where I could start fooling around with programming and scripting. But the main goal is to be able to have a little of everything without paying the 700 bucks for Flash and what not.

I'd like to be able to get flash but its going to take some time before I can afford it.

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

Well, you can try RPG Maker, but take a look at Multimedia Fusion and Game Maker too

Showing 1-15 of 20