ForumsArt, Music, and WritingEnglish Assignment

2 3147
Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

well, i have this project in English that i have to complete. i would like your thoughts on it. please note that this is my first comparative essay so it may not be the best.

thx,
owen

There are over 900 different versions of Cinderella in the world today. This comparative essay will be comparing just two. The two versions being compared are: The Indian Cinderella, and The Golden Carp (The Chinese version). This essay will compare the similarities and differences of both versions.
In both versions, there were some similarities, like the fact that both versions start with the famous âonce upon a timeâ, but it is just worded differently. In addition to this, Cinderella is always beautiful, especially after she puts on her dress. Equally important in alike manner, is the fact that she is treated badly and is forced to wear rags. Likewise in the same way, her family is mean to her, and they always think that she is beneath them. Similarly, in both versions of the story, she has a sister or sisters, a mother, and a father. And again, in the two versions, there is royalty. An example of this would be the Chief from the Indian Cinderella, and the King from the Chinese Cinderella. Also, another similarity would be that they each include magic of some kind. They each have an identity test and furthermore, in both stories her sister(s) takes the test and fail. Besides this, she also leaves to live with royalty, and moreover, they get married. Further, of course, thereâs obviously a happily ever after.
However, even though there are similarities in these two stories, there are also some differences too. For example, in the Indian Cinderella, Little Burnt Face has two sisters, although on the other hand, in the Chinese Cinderella, Ye Syan has one step sister. In the Chinese Cinderella, her mother is alive. However despite this, in the Indian Cinderella, her mother is dead. In the Indian Cinderella, the magic is in the form of the invisible man, yet on the contrary, in the Chinese version, the magic is in the form of the fish bones. In the Indian story, Cinderellaâs test is a bunch of questions, but that is not always the case because in the Chinese version the test is if the slipper will fit. In the Indian version, Little Burnt Face has no chores, still nevertheless, in the Chinese story, Ye Syan does have chores like collecting firewood, and drink water. In the Chinese story, Ye Syan has a step mom and a step sister, but by contrast, in the Indian version Little Burnt Face has a normal mom and normal sisters. In the Indian version, before taking the test, she drops nothing, but in the Chinese story, she drops her slipper. In the Chinese story, the royalty is in the form of the Chief and Strong Wind, anyways, in the Indian version, the royalty is in the form of the King, and the Chieftain. In the Chinese version, Ye Syan is not allowed to take the test. An exception to this would be that in the Indian version, Little Burnt Face is allowed to take the test. In the Indian version, she has no friends, otherwise, in the Chinese story, she has a friend fish.
Overall, Even though both versions of Cinderella follow the same guidelines, they are different stories. They are different because of the setting of the story, and the way different cultures and times have interpreted it.

• 2 Replies
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

The one problem that I noticed was the extreme repetitiveness of:

'The Chinese Story had this, but the Indian story had this.'

Wait...let me find a comparative essay I've done...

*Goes and digs through folders*

In comparison to Australia, Mozambique schooling is terrible. The CIA Website states that 99% of all Australians can read and write and only 47.8% of all of Mozambiqueâs population can. When you think about this, it is staggering. To think that five out of every ten people cannot read and write is amazing. This is a figure that needs to be improved if ever the country is going to raise itself up out of poverty

Ok, I did this essay on Mozambique and Australia a few months ago...

I think that you need to talk about factors in the Chinese story, and then the Indian story.

For Example:

In the Chinese story, 'this, this and this happened.' Explain about them and don't just mention them

New Paragraph

However, in the Indian story, this this and this happened. This was different to the Chinese story because.........but was similar because.

I think you need to organise your facts and group them rather than just stating them...because that could almost be a list...

Hope that helps..

KingRyan
Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

can you say redundant?

Showing 1-2 of 2