ForumsWEPRThanksgiving?

32 6659
Maria4ever
Maria4ever
79 posts
Nomad

I have wondered what "Thanksgiving" is. I am to lazy to search on Wikipedia for the time being and I want some answers before the Thanksgiving Armatar Contest ends. Please tell me! :-)

Love
-Maria-

• 32 Replies
theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

nevember 24 is the date..i think,i cant remember..yeah 24th.

ChopstickBoB
ChopstickBoB
142 posts
Nomad

I think the world would be better if Christopher Columbus was smarter and actually went to India.
And while there are still Native Americans alive, more than 95%, maybe even 99%, were killed, and they're land taken over.

Nah... Europeans would have found the Americas eventually and the result would have been the same. The thing about the removal of Native Americans the most is the blatant disregard of the law by Andrew Jackson. When he decided to force most Native Americans west on the trail of tears, the Cherokee appealed the decision to the Supreme Court and won. See [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_Nation_vs._Georgia]

The [insert explicative here] forced them to leave anyways! And they were a sedentary culture, ready to adopt Western trade and living practices! They created their own written language just to prove they were "civilized"!

Sorry about the venting. I don't want you to get the wrong idea about Thanksgiving. It is a wonderful holiday, and all this... stuff doesn't come up. Its more about being thankful for what you have. It and Christmas, in my experience, are the two holidays that bring family together, and for that, I do love it.

When I forget my moral outrage.
empyrion
empyrion
79 posts
Nomad

pilgrim americans...native americans... turkey americans...that what its about

Maria4ever
Maria4ever
79 posts
Nomad

turkey americans

TURKEY AMERICANS???
"O.o I have never heard that one before.

nevember 24 is the date

Oh.
Thank you for telling me. :-)
UltraPriest
UltraPriest
41 posts
Nomad

Nah... Europeans would have found the Americas eventually and the result would have been the same.

But it would have been held off to a time when taking over a whole continent would bring lots of retaliation, so there would probably be more natives left.

The thing about the removal of Native Americans the most is the blatant disregard of the law by Andrew Jackson. When he decided to force most Native Americans west on the trail of tears, the Cherokee appealed the decision to the Supreme Court and won. See [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_Nation_vs._Georgia]
Shit like that happened all the time. We cheated them so many times.
It is a wonderful holiday

Its a Nazi holiday.
tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

It didn't become a national holiday in the U.S. until the 20th Century.

rougie
rougie
45 posts
Nomad

How can you be too lazy to search Wikipedia? It takes more effort to type "What is thanksgiving, I'm too lazy to search on Wikipedia" than it does to type "Thanksgiving" into the wiki searchbox! :P
In Canada, we celebrate Thanksgiving in October, and I think it is somewhat different here than it is in the US. Generally, we think of things we are grateful to have, and try to enjoy a dinner together with the family. It may involve the history between the Aboriginal people and the British/French settlers whom they aided when they first landed, but we tend to concentrate more on the former than the latter. Still, most people just eat turkey and watch football and argue with family members (from what I understand, not much different from in the US... except we don't have a major shopping day afterwards)

rougie
rougie
45 posts
Nomad

**** like that happened all the time. We cheated them so many times.
It is a wonderful holiday
Its a Nazi holiday.

Oh Ultrapriest, it's not that bad. I'm Native Canadian, and I don't hold any grudges, so long as people have good intent and don't mean any serious offense.

It is a wonderful holiday; good food, good sports, watching family members argue over silly things (a form of entertainment in the highest!). It is true that the Native people are still suffering because of injustices against them in the past, but the (Canadian) government has taken some very positive steps lately in attempts to start a healing process.

I'm sorry if you don't enjoy thanksgiving, but I don't want you to hate it for the wrong reasons!
tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

Any excuse to get together with my strange family and eat lots of food is worth the entertainment.

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

Yes... Thanksgiving...
I have learned a lot about it on this topic. =)

samy
samy
4,874 posts
Nomad

Honestly, Canada is like 300 times better than the USA. My country still hasn't done anything to help.
I admit, I enjoy the feastings somewhat, but I hate the holiday for what it is- celebration of genocide.

Then move there...and no its not the pilgrims didnt kill the native Americans
samy
samy
4,874 posts
Nomad

They went back to Europe and than the whole of Europe killed them.

Ya but they didnt and they were the first to celebrate it
samy
samy
4,874 posts
Nomad

Before they said "Hey, theres this great big island here, with uncivilized guys who have no guns! It would be easy to take over!"

Ya sure they did
samy
samy
4,874 posts
Nomad

then blame columbus

samy
samy
4,874 posts
Nomad

my god really?come on anyway back to the topic Thanksgiving has nothing to do with genocide

Showing 16-30 of 32