ForumsWEPRSimulated Reality?

10 5682
razaki
razaki
263 posts
Nomad

Ok...I re-watched the Matrix trilogy this past week and was given a trial key for the Matrix Online.

It suffices to say that I've been thinking about the Matrix a lot recently, lol.

Anyway, what I am asking is how realistic do you think a simulated reality would be? For those of you who do not know what the matrix or a simulated reality is, let me explain:

Essentially, a controlling force - in the Matrix, a race of sentient machines - are controlling a simulation to which all of us humans are connected. Although everything seems real, it is technically just a simulation, dream, or otherwise fake state of being.

I will refrain from stating my opinion until some more people state theirs, but I am very interested in hearing other opinions.

As a side note, I accidentally hit enter the first time I was trying to post this BEFORE I had my message. If there are two topics, my bad.

• 10 Replies
chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

I think it would start off poorly, but as we learn more about how to manipulate DNA, we can create a perfect virtual reality on command by messing with our receptors.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

There's an article on simulated reality I read not too long ago. Basically, if the technology to create a simulated universe had ever existed, then it would be extremely probably that we are a simulated universe. The theory goes that if this were true, we would see some fundamental breakdowns in our rules - basically computer glitches. This guy claims to have found these glitches. Lemme try to find the article.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Okay, here it is:
Article

It's a pdf, just so you know.
That's a good point you bring up, chili. If this is a simulation, then we need to be as interesting as we can be, so we don't get "cancelled" or anything.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

Wait, so if this is a simulated reality, can it or parts of it be terminated at any time? Or new things added.
Like: I don't like him, and he dissapears.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

There's another good movie called "The Thirteenth Floor" that deals with simulated realities. There are some contradictory premises in the movie, but we can blame that on Hollywood.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

Another semi-crazy but totally possible event. Where do you get this stuff. It is a lot! Oh yeah, when I watch a movie, I am constanty pointing out inaccuracies, knowing that I miss plenty. I hate the way hollywood equates explosion with fire.

jeraga
jeraga
12 posts
Nomad

It just seems like solipsism for a new age to me.

izapora
izapora
116 posts
Nomad

agreed.

netrino
netrino
83 posts
Jester

well i play an online game for 8-120 hours per day!
i got a wife, 2 children, a job(at a guild like an promotion manager).....

that looks to me as a simulated reality...

MrMonkey3
MrMonkey3
495 posts
Nomad

Sometimes i wonder if we keep on going with the AI if eventually robots will take over the world.

Showing 1-10 of 10