ForumsGamesBug Hunt: Damage Error

8 2205
Krin
Krin
129 posts
Nomad

Hey guys,

I'm working on fixing the bugs now, and this is one of the two major bugs that I need to address. I need more information on this, because I cannot replicate it.

Once I know exactly how to get this bug to happen, then I will know how to fix it. If we fail to find a pattern, then that is a pattern in itself, pointing at the random number generator of the game.

So in short, see if you can 'create' this bug consistently. If not, just post any information you have. Pay special attention to buffs and passives.

The Symptoms
You hit the enemy for significantly less that you are supposed to.
You receive more damage than you normally should.

Cheers,
Krin

• 8 Replies
Eddy01741
Eddy01741
341 posts
Peasant

Alright, I can't make this one happen consistently, but it happens maybe 1 in 4 fights I do. Basically, my normal DIRECT damage is probably a quarter of what it should be. However, any damage over time is still normal damage, so it's just the direct damage that is weakened.

Krin
Krin
129 posts
Nomad

I suspect it has something to do with Piercing and Defense mechanics...

PsychoIncarnate
PsychoIncarnate
1,037 posts
Nomad

Krin, that was my thoughts exactly...

d_mcfarlane
d_mcfarlane
31 posts
Nomad

I was playing the city council and one of them was shielded without any notice or sign till the end of the battle (IE I couldn't hurt him but he gradually killed each one of my team with an amazing 2000 focus spell.

VoltCruelerz
VoltCruelerz
501 posts
Nomad

I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to it. It seems pretty random with one exception. It seems to happen more often with the council/mayor. It also has happened in pvp and once in New Alcatraz fighting the guards there.

This was played using a challenging psycho [electro].

Sometimes shortyly afterwards/beforehand you will hit big and when I say big, I mean instagib. The big number jump seems to like 19,000ish... It is not a critical, just a normal hit. For me, it seemed to happen most when I used shock therapy and wearing the lightning suit from zone 4 and having 5/5 charged blood, it does seem to point towards peircing. I am assuming that the council has some irregular lightning defense (that is not the traditional 320 or whatever it is...). When hit with a non-crit, the damage should go up about 40 points (2%) but on occasion it must have calculated my peircing to be far greater than what it truly is. My guess would be some sort of multiplication error in the peircing and defense area. Oh, and try hypothermia on the hydra claws, from what I hear that has very consistant results.

Now this has happened to me as well [that is the reverse]. It is quite annoying when you are about to take the final blow in training mode and the enemy smashes you with 15k. It has never happened to me on a boss, but on training mode.

As for reduced damage, I generally accredit that to the RNG because I don't know the code for it, but given the evidence, Krin very well could be correct.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

This bug is annoying.
It makes the battles a lot harder.

Riou1231
Riou1231
4,825 posts
Peasant

d_macfarlane that 2000 focus spell it's a real spell it's not some kind of bug it's a REAL spell and it just really kills one of your teammates with it's uber damage

Krin
Krin
129 posts
Nomad

I think I figured it out. If you open the shop, then close it, and go right into battle, this bug will occur with 100% probability.

I think the source of the problem is exactly the same as the NaN PvP.

Looks like we'll be killing two birds with one stone

Showing 1-8 of 8