ForumsArt, Music, and WritingWritten Nothings

224 217861
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

An Introduction

He hadn't written anything in nearly a year. No. That wasn't entirely true. He had written something. Many somethings. Many somethings tantamount to nothing. They were no more than writing exercises. He would start with an idea, a wonderful idea, a brilliant beginning and it would go nowhere after a day. His flirtatious romance with inspiration was just that. His obsession with her kept him in withdrawal when she left and his sense of direction deteriorated. In his languor, he wondered why he kept to such deleterious circumstances. And then, she returned.

• 224 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

The "topic" of this thread is the collection of Gantic's writings. Discussion centers around responses to said writings.

@ Alt: First, let me be clear and say that there's nothing wrong with writing something tangentially relevant, seeing as, well, this is the AM&W section and off-topic is de rigeur. But...as your emphasis in your quote shows, it seems that you have written in response to that bolded word, "forums" alone, without regard to the rest of the sentence. So my question was does your response relate to the entire sentence, and if so, how?

If not, don't worry about it, I'm trying to read into things too much.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

@ Alt: First, let me be clear and say that there's nothing wrong with writing something tangentially relevant, seeing as, well, this is the AM&W section and off-topic is de rigeur. But...as your emphasis in your quote shows, it seems that you have written in response to that bolded word, "forums" alone, without regard to the rest of the sentence. So my question was does your response relate to the entire sentence, and if so, how?

If not, don't worry about it, I'm trying to read into things too much.

I was responding to the subject of the statement, the forums. Even though it is not present in actual writing, the main subject of the sentence was the forums themselves. Therefore, my reply was relevant to the entire statement, because I was responding to the meaning of the statement itself, not simply that one word.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Seeing as I still disagree with you, I think the most pertinent question to ask at this point would be "what did you take the meaning of the entire statement to be?"

If I merely replied to the subject of a sentence in the belief that I was addressing the meaning of the entire sentence, I would be promptly shredded by a consultant. It'd be like asking for the differential on the lady in bed twelve and my responding &quotatient is afrebrile."

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I was speaking specifically about the transparency of the people on the forums these days, which has a direct correlation to the first sentence. Of course, your analogy is moot, because AG is in no way close to a medical facility! . . .Except for an asylum. . . .

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I blatantly ignore rules of etiquette.

Correlation does not imply causation. Causation does not imply correlation. Neither does coincidence.

Nothing is random, nonlinear, perhaps, but not random. I could be eat noodles one moment and then start up, "That's what my dream was three days ago!" and that happens quite frequently.

Wine

This liquid fantasy is no solution to the fluid mysteries nor the burn you leave. The ghost was there, ether and all, burning slowly in its dissipation. From its corporality would some former passion flow? Her mind says otherwise but to know her heart, see men as she does, was simple but shall I vacuate my mind to know? With a cunning lingua persuade her lips to part? To reveal her spirit? The accents were divine, but what did I love more, them or the skin from which they rose?

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

It seems I skipped the last post on the page before the last.

It makes me think about to what degree one must surrender this innocence to pursue a dream. Because in real life, I am frequently described as an innocent character, but sometimes my study (and the amount of it required) has me lapsing into a philosophical crisis.

A sense of reality and fantasy? and imagination and creativity? It's often difficult to tell what lies in the abyss if its is beyond a field of daisies.

...and now I'm thinking about the Daisy Girl ad.

Smile

--Someone smiled at me on the elevator the other day.
--So?
--She was cute.
--And?
--Later that day I realized that I had smiled too.
--Uh huh...
--Then I wondered. Did she smile in response to my smile or did I smile in response to her smile or did we both smile at the same time?
--Hm.
--What does it all mean?
--You're a moron.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I originally wanted to call this "Shribs of Doubt" but then I remembered Shrib was a website for writing notes and stuff online. Whether or not it would be apropos is outside of my consideration.

Scrips of Doubt

Did he?
He didn't remember exactly.
He wondered if it was.
Could it be?
Maybe.
He wanted to be sure.
It was iffy.

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

I thought "scraps" would have been better.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

"Scrips" and "scraps" have basically the same meaning, though one points toward a piece of paper.

This next one isn't as much an entry s a reference.
Reading Strop's thread, I realized that the best film to have ever come out of Australia is perhaps:

If I Had Words

--You've been crying for ten minutes. You alright?
--Yeah. I was just watching a movie.
--What was it?
--I dunno. Some Australian movie.
--You cried during Mad Max?!
--What? No.
--...Then... oh...

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Mad Max was so awesome, it made me cry from sheer awesomeness.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

The Road Warrior was the awesomest.

This is also a non-entry entry:

Context is like eating strawberries. You don't want to pick the wrong one. I heard (The last part is possibly garbled.): "Pay your taxes. Your taxes pay me and look what I can do." This is quite possibly one of the most amusing things I've ever heard (aside from the puns I keep to myself. "drag ones soul along the ground?" hahaha. Out of context.) and I tried not to laugh out loud in public for what may seem like no reason. (I've done it a few times and people think I'm a bit loony.) Considering where taxes go... well, that is the humor in it. What does this have to do with writing? Unintentional humor! (Expand further to unintentional puns and general wordplay and innuendo and double entendres.) Unintended consequences. Not knowing, with all certainty, the perceived meaning of the written words. They carry no emotional weights or accents.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

How are you distinguishing non-entry entries from entry entries?

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

On whim. Mostly. And characterization. Somewhat. And use of parenthetical comments. Kinda.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Abridged:

Learning Comprehension

The sky is blue.
The sky is blue when it is sunny.
The sky is blue because it is sunny.
The sky is blue because sunlight travels through the atmosphere.
The sky is blue due to scattering of the electromagnetic waves from the Sun by the Earth's atmosphere.
The sky is blue. Wow.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Critical Truths

The manuscript was gaud awful. His friend thought it garish, faux haute. There was that self-aggrandizing pomposity about it that fumed with mediocrity. He reminded his friend that it was novel not nouvelle. He was right. Nouvelle would have been misunderstood.

<Requires complete rewrite.> He deleted that. Too nonspecific.
He stretched his arms backwards and paced. Puerile trash. No. No?
<No amount of willpower could force a reader, even a copyeditor, to continue beyond the first several pages without adequate coercion.> He sighed and continue tapping keys until something piqued his interest.
<While fiction is the emulsion of plot and character within prose, a writer cannot advance one to the detriment of another, as one would not eat raw eggs and call it mayonnaise...> Perhaps. Yes.
[Save]
!!Not enough memory to complete this operation.!!
Delete.
<It was okay.>
[Send]

Showing 166-180 of 224