ForumsArt, Music, and WritingGraffiti Art -Tags,Throw-ups,Pieces+Productions

152 38396
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I love graffiti and have done my whole life, so here's a thread about it.

Tagging is the calligraphic writing of one's name or alias. It is generally regarded as the earliest form of graffiti. No outline involved in the leter forms. Generally the fewer the syllables the better. Taggers write their own name/crew name. Some go for clarity, others let the can drip on purpose='drippers'.

Throw-ups consist of single letter outlines, executed at speed, sometimes just a single stroke and filled in with a solitary colour. There are tons of styles out there, most frequent is the 'bubble style' ie round forms.Block lettering from a can or with rollers or 'block busters' are in this category. Images eg faces/figures can be throw ups too.

Pieces are, in a nutshell, more detailed versions of throw ups. Very personal to the writers usually using modified letterforms of some kind. Can be done in 'wildstyle' - staright lettering, as in 70s NYC writers, but are seldom used nowadays.

Productions are pieces or a series of pieces tied together with a common background background. Often written by crews.

Here's an example of all of the above.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8025/graffitiexamplesresizedvq3.jpg

(Footnote: Pieces and Productions are generally coloured in((but not always)), but due to laziness issues they remain in black and white.)

• 152 Replies
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Here's throw up and a piece, enjoy:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6809/drresizedcb0.jpg

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Heres a piece. I saw the new batman recently. The one with Heath Ledger. I thought it was a good performance, but not Oscar worthy, I dunno what all these facebook groups are about. Anyway....

I was inspired to draw an evil clown so here it is. (It's a piece by the way).

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8626/evilclownresized.jpg

dacer
dacer
2,820 posts
Nomad

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm164/dacerx/tag.jpg

its way better when i tag it up on a wall or a mailbox.. i aint so good with a mouse..

btw it says "cybermek" if you cant read tags.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

its way better when i tag it up on a wall or a mailbox.. i aint so good with a mouse..

Mmmm. Generally I try to stay away from software like GIMP and MS. I ahven't a clue how to use it, plus, it's difficult to create the effects you want.
dacer
dacer
2,820 posts
Nomad

indeed, its really hard to draw with the mouse, yet people make sick pictures stilll...

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

indeed, its really hard to draw with the mouse, yet people make sick pictures stilll...

I find it very hard to sketch stuff too, although it can be useful before you go to a wall to have an idea, although I usually leave out the fill til I get there.

What do you use paint wise?
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Anywho, I decided to make a penguin rhino hybrid (inspired by the art contest), but it ended up looking far more like a fish than a penguin. So anyway here is my exotic rhinofish. Enjoy.(again another piece)

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3843/rhinofishresized.jpg

dacer
dacer
2,820 posts
Nomad

lol nice penguin rhino, it will own the artic seas.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Lol cheers. Although as it is half rhino-, I kinda figured I would make it a tropical fish, hence the bright colours. Plus its just more fun to put colour into pieces. I generally try to stay away from silvers. Some people swear by them, and they can look cool in an old school NYC kind of way but generally I prefer to fill pieces with colour.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

The evil clown is the best one, I think. I don't know why I like it more than the rest; I just do.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Ye well if you liked that then stay tuned cos I got a fairly evil graffiti wizard comin up.

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

Finally someone who understands me! I was almost thrown in jail, beacuse I "taged" my school. Though the Principle had somehow gained my trust, and decided that he would just drop the charges.

*Sigh* Although I have not really done anything for awhile. Great work there nonetheless Firefly!

Do you have any more?

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Finally someone who understands me! I was almost thrown in jail, beacuse I "taged" my schoo

You aint a true writer til you've had a run in with the law, so well done.

Do you have any more?

I've got my idea mapped out in my head, but I have work stuff to sort out first. I'll be on later with my next piece.
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

I've got my idea mapped out in my head, but I have work stuff to sort out first. I'll be on later with my next piece.

Alright, I'll be waiting, and I am woundering, if people should post a snapshot of there work. I mean an actall picture of the spot they "tagged". Although, it could end bad.......Anyone remember those guys who were putting video's on youtube of themselves.

........They got cought, beacuse the police used the video's to ID them.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I am woundering, if people should post a snapshot of there work.

Feel free, although beware of the risk. If you wanna post a pic, its best to show just the tag and not you in the shot. Otherwise if the police do come on here looking for miscreants (for some strange reason) then they wouldn't be able to prove it was you. I think the risk is pretty negligeble though. I would be more worried about the general attitude of AG to this. Bombing public property is after all illegal. Not sure if you're allowed to condone illegal activity and whatnot. Better ask a mod first. Still, I don't have any pics with me, so I'll just be posting sketches so its all good for me.
Showing 1-15 of 152