ForumsArt, Music, and WritingGraffiti Art -Tags,Throw-ups,Pieces+Productions

152 38437
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I love graffiti and have done my whole life, so here's a thread about it.

Tagging is the calligraphic writing of one's name or alias. It is generally regarded as the earliest form of graffiti. No outline involved in the leter forms. Generally the fewer the syllables the better. Taggers write their own name/crew name. Some go for clarity, others let the can drip on purpose='drippers'.

Throw-ups consist of single letter outlines, executed at speed, sometimes just a single stroke and filled in with a solitary colour. There are tons of styles out there, most frequent is the 'bubble style' ie round forms.Block lettering from a can or with rollers or 'block busters' are in this category. Images eg faces/figures can be throw ups too.

Pieces are, in a nutshell, more detailed versions of throw ups. Very personal to the writers usually using modified letterforms of some kind. Can be done in 'wildstyle' - staright lettering, as in 70s NYC writers, but are seldom used nowadays.

Productions are pieces or a series of pieces tied together with a common background background. Often written by crews.

Here's an example of all of the above.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8025/graffitiexamplesresizedvq3.jpg

(Footnote: Pieces and Productions are generally coloured in((but not always)), but due to laziness issues they remain in black and white.)

• 152 Replies
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

And where as you are a new writer...(Slang: Toy :P)

Ha, a toy isn't nescessarily a newcomer, just someone who isn't particularly skilled. A newjack is normally what newcomers are called.

How long does it normally take you to finish a piece or production? Do you have to do one layer one day, and then come back to it?

Well it depends on various factors. Distance from the law, other writers or local residents can be key in determining how long you have to make a piece. I know a couple of guys who will climb to heavens to do their pieces undisturbed. Although having the pressure of being caught makes me work better and faster. I have been in a couple of productions that have taken 2 or 3 days to complete, but they are relatively rare. Most pieces I do take me around 2-3 hours depending on the size.

It also depends if you work off sketches. I might take 8 hours to do a sketch, and so I would know exactly what I wanted to do when I got to the wall. Although I have stopped doing that, mainly because the sketches would be very intricate and so I would stand there wondering which line went where. So generally I tend to come up with it in my head and just do it there. So it's a lot quicker.

As for the setting I love it. LA has a great distinctive style, much better than NYC or any other US city I have seen. They also have a great history of cholo graffiti which is very distinctive which suits the gang part of your story very well. I'll post an example of the LA cholo style later.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

That'd be great to have some examples. To be sure though, I'm not actually setting the story in LA...actually I'm aiming to make it a bit of a mishmash, mix it up, maybe make it up as I go along...the characters themselves are very cartoonish, I'll show you what I mean when I get more on the page!

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I see. Sorry about the delay by the way. Scanner problems. I'd like to see what you've got.

I will get somehting on here today if my scanner starts working again.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Oh, take your time take your time, it's not as if I'm going to be working on this project now. It's second on the &quotersonal graphic novel project" list and that in itself isn't very high on my life priority list either...lemme see if I can slap out a character sheet to give you an idea.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Ok. The character sheet would be nice to see.

I have your example, but my scanner is playing up. I'll try and get it on when it's back running again.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Well, I've been slow in getting them out but here are three of the sheets:

Nes (the main character)
Crimsonfire (peripheral character belonging to a friend, has a cameo role)
'Aeryn' (another major character)

I'm gradually settling on a style, but you can see what's in common in those three sheets.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Impressive.

Here is the example of Cholo Style:

http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cholostyleresized.jpg

In case you can't read the message, it says 'example of cholo style font.

It is always pretty easu to differentiate between gang writers and independant artists because of the colour. Cholo style is nearly always in black and white and usually on a large scale. It's like that to be in your face, aggressive and domineering, like 'this is our turf biatch'. The characters in it are usually symbolic of the gang, but normally with violent undertones, hence the skull ie death.

The font is very symbolic and partially legible. It normally looks like some kind of pseudo religious/cult text with odd symbols making up the bulk of the words, although for this example I used mostly legible lettering.

Anyways enjoy.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9326/cholostyleresized.jpg

Sorry, hopefully this one should work.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Man, that is sweet! I just figured out what I should do- I'm going to (eventually) draw up the cast including the various gangs and major players, then brainstorm what kind of colours they're going to be hoisting.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Ha sounds good, feel free to ask if you need more help. I like drawing cholo, it's a great style.

Anyways, I have received numerous requests to put up more pics so here is one from waaay back in the day. Here's a tube I bombed. It says 'yeah'. The tags around it were not my doing. Again terrible picture quality but hey.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/559/yeahresized.jpg

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Something I threw up just now. Doing that cholo for Strop put me in the mood for more.

Enjoy.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8628/choloisbarejokesresized.jpg

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Nice pic FireflyIV. Kinda weird thoughlol. It kinda reminds me of "The Scream" by Edvard Munch (love his last name).

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Yes it's a tad odd, I admit, but I kind of intended it to be

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

Wow, nice job on the train man! And the hand drawn picture, is a bit odd. And yes it does look like scream, but great nontheless.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Had a thought just now.

Have you ever tried airbrush on paper/canvas, Firefly?

Showing 31-45 of 152