ForumsThe TavernWhat's your favorite quote?

288 110619
choazmachine
choazmachine
1,044 posts
Nomad

Well it's pretty self-explanatory! Have at it! You can even add your own!
Rules:
Just follow this format:
[Quote here]
~[Author Name Here]

Mine is:

Like birds, like planes, like the sky and the grass. We all have colors, strength, and beauty, but it's only the matter of how you take them, know them, see them, and use them.
~choazmachine

Live small, dream big.
~ unknown

Your opinion matters, but your opinion is crap if you don't have any evidence.
~ Oceans of Wisdom Jarvis [My Global Studies Teacher]

• 288 Replies
Spirytysta
Spirytysta
94 posts
Scribe

'Frick on a stick with a brick' by Elliot Reid

Spirytysta
Spirytysta
94 posts
Scribe

And every Elliot's phrase with 'frick'

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something" - Plato

I am also quite partial to the soliloquy from Hamlet Act III Scene i, the infamous "To be, or not to be..." soliloquy. If you haven't read it and examined it in it's entirety I highly recommend you do so.

Spirytysta
Spirytysta
94 posts
Scribe

@MRWalker82: Plato? I'm impressed
I heard something similar:
"Jaka jest roznica miedzy medrcem a glupcem? Gdy medrzec patrzy w lustro widzi gÅupca, a glupiec odwrotnie."
But I can't translate it. It is too complicated.

TRUdog
TRUdog
1,032 posts
Nomad

"My new philosophy... only dread one day at a time"
-Charlie Brown

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."
-Unknown

"Wow... you're stupid."
-Me

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

@Spirytysta

Yeah Plato is one of my favorites. Read quite a few of his works as well, way ahead of his time, yet many of his philosophies are just as applicable today, if not more so, than when they were written.

And to keep it on topic I have another favorite quote.

Karl Marx, while dying at home, was said to have responded to his housekeeper when she asked if he had any last words with "Get out of here and leave me alone. Last words are for fools who haven't said enough already."

Spirytysta
Spirytysta
94 posts
Scribe

@MRWalker82: I really like Oscar Wilde.
I was reading his aphorisms for a long time
He is wise and funny

WexMajor82
WexMajor82
1,026 posts
Nomad

- You are not defeated, unless you accept it. -

Sadly, I don't know who said this.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

The Dice is Thrown!

Julius Caeser
The man was awsome
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

sorry for spam ,but this is incorrect
its actually

The Die has been Cast

And on ... Latin probably

Alea iacta est
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

"...Events never at all/Exist by themselves as matter does, nor can/Be said to exist in the same way as the void/But rightly you may call them accidents/Of matter and of place in which things happen."-Lucretius, in his epic poem On the Nature of the Universe

Lucretius follows the train of Epicurean philosophical thought, and is explaining this to his friend Memmius in the form of an epic poem. He begins by stating that all of existence is either divided into matter or the void, and that anything that exists besides this, (justice, war, peace, etc.) are merely coincidences that occur between various combinations of the two.

"Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die....all mankind is of one author; and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...As therefore the bell that rings a sermon calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come, so this bell calls us all; but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness...No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main...Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee..." John Donne, Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions, Meditation XVII

If you ever get a chance, I highly recommend reading all of this meditation. It's seriously one of the most moving pieces I have ever encountered. I get chills every time I read it.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

"Every time you speak, a little bit of me dies inside."

I really have no idea who, if anyone, originally said it. All I know is it's been in my head since I can remember thinking.

It's a comeback for all of you speedy in the brain.

IgnoreMe
IgnoreMe
184 posts
Nomad

Well I like Homer J. Simpson's quote. So,

thetreeterror
thetreeterror
8 posts
Nomad

Well I like Homer J. Simpson's quote. So, http://funny2.com/homer.htm

"Save me Jeebus!" was funny.

Well, it's a quote by Jackie Chan, "Remember, always strong."
Motorheadbanger
Motorheadbanger
279 posts
Nomad

Who the hell you calling crazy? You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch!

-Mike Muir, Suicidal Tendencies

Showing 91-105 of 288