ForumsThe Tavern[answered] Why is the sky BLUE?

32 5227
MonsterBox
MonsterBox
232 posts
Nomad

Can anyone tell me why the sky is damn blue?!? Why can't it be RED?!? OR PINK?!?!?!??

• 32 Replies
Kyle248
Kyle248
204 posts
Nomad

some times its not blue because of the sunset

SpyreWorks
SpyreWorks
172 posts
Nomad

Refraction of light in the atmosphere.
Nuff Said.

Septua
Septua
464 posts
Blacksmith

Why is blue even called blue and red called red?

omg i just contributed to semi-spam topic lal.

Sep

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

What a bunch of stupid people we have here.

Exactly. A bunch of idiots.

It's because blue in this set of visible light reflects the sun's light, and that is what we see. Technically, every color in the rainbow is the sky. That's why we see a rainbow when it rains, or there is water, because then all the colors reflect.

Correct.

. and for you who say it reflects the ocean... i believe that it is the other way around

I agree. The sky does not reflect the ocean, the ocean reflects the sky.
Lord_Mist
Lord_Mist
571 posts
Nomad

The sky does not reflect the ocean, the ocean reflects the sky.

Agree
Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

My theory is that space isn't black, it is dark blue and it gets lighter the closer it is to earth. That is my theory.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Agree

Good to see that we agree.

My theory is that space isn't black, it is dark blue and it gets lighter the closer it is to earth. That is my theory.

What does that have to do with the fact that the sky is blue?
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

So your saying that the earth and the earth alone is a light colour magnet?
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Now, there have been people commingting the same reason in different lengths and qualities, there have been people who have not listened in physics. There have been people who have plainly gone around everything and made up something for the lulz, and there have been people commenting on the colour.

Why is the sky blue - Science made simple

The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

Or: God have fancy lights.
brenda_1997
brenda_1997
831 posts
Nomad

Look at this link it will tell you
Click here..

MysticWing
MysticWing
287 posts
Nomad

Actually, the sky is just plain scattered light from the sun. The light is reflected off from clouds, the ground,etc. So the sky is just plain (for some reason blue) scattered light!

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Actually space is a beige colour. Though origninally it was thought to be a light green hasty recalculations show it is in fact beige.
armor_warrior
armor_warrior
1,122 posts
Peasant

Well Billy, the sky is blue because God cried too much when Eve ate some bad fruit, and there was something about a snake...the end.

Now onto the thread, the sky is blue because light scatters, and while most colors make it through the atmosphere, blue visible light rays are shorter than others so it can stay in the sky when light scatters.

Or something along those lines.

IPwnGamezz
IPwnGamezz
209 posts
Nomad

well, there are many different layers... this is just because of the sun and the type of atmosphere were in... if you go higher, the color of the sky changes O_O

this is how it was explained to me...

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

What does that have to do with the fact that the sky is blue?

I told you, when the sun is in space, the light it so bright that spaces around the sun becomes blue/light.
Showing 16-30 of 32