ForumsWEPR[necro]Ethics: Your choice

340 105073
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

This will be an ethical question thread, that will relate mainly to religious beliefs and ethics. Hopefully it will be a good idea and people will want to play.

Each week I will present a topic, and you may discuss it, and bring your morality into the question.

This week:
soldiers have come to search your house! They will kill you and eat you if they find you. You are hiding in the closet farther away from the door than your friend who is hiding underneath a sofa. The people eating soldiers stop in front of the sofa, and start bending over slowly to see if there is anyone underneath it. You see this through the crack in the door. You have 2 choices to jump out, scream and run out the door to save your bestest friend in the whole world, or you can watch them drag him away.

basically would you save yourself? or would you save your friend.

• 340 Replies
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

wow thanks for that DDX I didn;t know the % was that high for a procedure like this. Then again it doesn't change my opinion. I wonder whether he would get it on the NHS, they do gastic bands for fat people so they might do this. I still think it would be better just to do the op now than wait for him to get desperate and do something stupid.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

It is because the arm part above your biceps near your shoulder is fairly close to the artery, and with "flash bleeding" the doctor has to work under tremendous pressure to mend all of the vessels, or just burn them all, but it leaves horrendous scarring and pain. The procedure does not have that much fatality if it is just the hand or forearm, or below the shins, I should have made that clearer sorry.

anyway, I will post my take on it after moar people see it

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Am I desperate for money? If not, I don't see any reason to hurt this man. It's kind of like cutting yourself, I don't want people to cut themselves but they want to cut themselves, right? If I was desperate for money, and had no other way to get it, I would probably do it.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Well, I guess I would also be motivated by the money, because really it's the pretty green stuff, or orange stuff (new United States currency is orangeish) O.o

I would attempt to persuade him to not go through with it, but I have to say, I would probably be reluctant and the driving force behind that would be my guilty conscience.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I wouldn't want to do it but chances are that if its a psych disorder then he'll either A. Use something to cut it off himself or B. Go to another doctor who may or may not screw up and get the poor man killed. I would try to get him not to do it but if he was really driven for it, i would go through with the procedure.

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

I'd do the procedure. He wants to do something with his body, it's his buisness. Besides, if he was really that keen on it, they'd probably try to do it themselves if they were really stupid, or go to some country where the doctors have less scruples & less skill.

I would, however - use the opportunity to include the chance to use the arm in a potential appendage donation procedure to someone that had lost an arm; which may include making the person wait for the procedure until their.. 'extra' limb is required by a person who lost a limb in an accident.

Science!

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

I would, however - use the opportunity to include the chance to use the arm in a potential appendage donation procedure to someone that had lost an arm; which may include making the person wait for the procedure until their.. 'extra' limb is required by a person who lost a limb in an accident.

lol... that would be soo hard. First youd have to fine the matching blood type, and youd have to reconnect the tissue, nerves and blood vessels.

good stuffs otherwise
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I wonder if anyone's tried though, actually transplanting a limb from one person to another, just the sheer amount of nerves that you'd have to reconnect is dangerous not counting blood vessels and blood types and if the body rejects the arm. Planning on posting a new topic soon DDX?

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

Yeah.. it would be difficult; all of the worthwhile things I've ever done have been hard though, and given an opportunity like that, I don't think it would be prudent to pass up the chance to try.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Ok, so I will not be posting a new topic on friday, since this week is AP exams week.

Consider the case of Hank. Hank knows that another scholar, Gorkron, is working on a book on Epistemic Disagreement because he reviewed Gorkron's book proposal for the University of Chicago Press. As part of the proposal, Hank has a copy of the first chapter of Gorkron's book.

Hank also knows that Jen is working on a book on Epistemic Disagreement for the New York Academic Press. Hank also knows that Jen would be interested in seeing Gorkron's chapter, not to 'scoop' Gorkron, but just to get an idea of how she might want to approach her own book (which is already underway).

Is it:

(i) not morally permissible in any case for Hank to share Gorkron's chapter with Jen

(ii) morally permissible for Hank to share Gorkron's chapter with Jen, but only with Gorkron's permission (Hank isn't sure if Gorkron knows he was a referee for his proposal)

(iii) morally permissible for Hank to share Gorkron's chapter with Jen, but only with the University of Chicago Press's permission

(iv) morally permissible for Hank to share Gorkron's chapter with Jen, but only with both Gorkron and the University of Chicago Press's permissions

(v) only morally permissible for Hank to share Gorkron's chapter with Jen if condition ________ is met (fill in the blank)

All right have at it!

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

ii I reckon I would get "Gokrons" permission first. However it would depend on my realtionships to them both as well. However it may be iv because the Uni could throw them of the course if they see plagiarism no matter how small even if she is only needing an "idea" of how to start. Its close and I may change my mind but at the moment it is ii.

Somecallmetim
Somecallmetim
66 posts
Nomad

I would have to go with:

(ii) morally permissible for Hank to share Gorkron's chapter with Jen, but only with Gorkron's permission (Hank isn't sure if Gorkron knows he was a referee for his proposal)

You have to have the Author's permission for another author to review the material for their own creative purpose. Also since the proposal isn't to the press yet, they do not need to be consulted. If it was already at the press then you would need their permission as well.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I would definitely go for no. 2, you should always ask an authors permission before you go out giving away copies of his unpublished book.

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

I would say there is one right option.
ii: If Gorkron gives you permission, there's nothing wrong with showing what belongs to HIM, is there? If he doesn't give permission... that's stealing his work, even if you don't use it.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

I say (i), because when I am in Gorkron's shoes I feel I have to protect my own work, unless of course I was very good friends with the said people. So thinking about other people, I would say (i), though if you choose to share it, it be the right thing to do at least tell hank, you have the intent to share it.

Showing 76-90 of 340