ForumsPopular MediaKurt (or is it Chris) Cobain vs. Eddie Vedder

15 4246
napolian654321
napolian654321
922 posts
Nomad

For all you grunge fans heres a battle. Eddie Vedder, lead singer of Pearl Jam, vs. Kurt (or chris whichever one it is) Cobain, lead vocals/guitarist of Nirvanna. Don't judge by the bands but judge by their voices please. Also if you that weirdo who has only heard of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvanna you haven't heard anything and please listen to their other songs before posting same with Pearl Jam Please! Also I forgat, don't spam give a reasoning behind you thoughts

• 15 Replies
parrot657
parrot657
896 posts
Nomad

This is hard... I really like nevermind by nirvana, but I also have ten by pearl jam and it is pretty good... I say nirvana. I like all of their songs. And the lyrics for Polly. Best album is nevermind

napolian654321
napolian654321
922 posts
Nomad

really like nevermind by nirvana, but I also have ten by pearl jam and it is pretty good

I said don't rate by the bands but the singer's voices...
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Eddie Vedder. His voice surpasses Cobain's because of it's general sound and the fact that he can sing so well and dynamically. Vedder edges Cobain out in the end.

parrot657
parrot657
896 posts
Nomad

Vedder's voice gets annoying with the time. Kurt Cobain's is pretty cool. I still vote for Kurt. sorry for the dumb mistake :S

napolian654321
napolian654321
922 posts
Nomad

sorry for the dumb mistake :S

Its all good bro
chaotix567
chaotix567
882 posts
Nomad

Gonna have to go with Eddie Vedder, Kurt Cobain is good, but he never really broke away from the 'raspy yell' style of singing, while Vedder has exxhibited a wide tonal range over the years.

davemando1
davemando1
34 posts
Nomad

a lot of kurts popularity comes from editting and not the actual voice, my vote is for vedder

web
web
225 posts
Nomad

I think that Kurt Cobain is the best of the two, it's my opinion, but I think his songwriting was just incredible. Eddie Vedder had a great voice and was a great lyricist but so was Cobain and Cobain was one of a kind. Eddie Vedder's voice is special and good but I think that Cobain's way of singing inspired many of today's rock singers.
Kurt wrote many great songs, both acoustic mellow songs and fast songs with a lot of heavy influences. Vedder wrote the lyrics and the songs with help from the band but Cobain wrote all the songs from Nevermind on his own, except for Smells Like Teen Spirit that the band wrote together.
Kurt's guitar playing is not very complicated, but that's much because he was singing while playing.
I think that Kurt Cobain wins, because he is a more creative musician and he had a mind of his own that people are trying to copy today and will for many years to come.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Kurt cobain shud win this one.

hitmanvp95
hitmanvp95
1,089 posts
Nomad

Cobain is one of the most overrated musicians ever. Eddie has that warm tone that many vocalists lack (including Cobain) and it makes him better. Cobain's voice was boring and even annoying at times, although he wasn't a bad singer. But yeah, Layne Staley owns both of them anyways.

pauler94
pauler94
2,514 posts
Nomad

Cobain is one of the most overrated musicians ever

Agreed. Smells Like Teen Spirit is incredibly overrated because you can't understand a word he's saying. Like wtf. He was decent at guitar at best, but he couldn't sing for his life.
asderfan
asderfan
59 posts
Nomad

Smells Like Teen Spirit is incredibly overrated because you can't understand a word he's saying.

I don't see what that has to do with being overrated.
hitmanvp95
hitmanvp95
1,089 posts
Nomad

I don't see what that has to do with being overrated.

It means that Cobain's vocals on that song are awful, therefore making it overrated.
asderfan
asderfan
59 posts
Nomad

It means that Cobain's vocals on that song are awful, therefore making it overrated.

A song doesn't need impeccable vocals for a large audience to enjoy, which is exactly the case here. I'm not saying that SLTS is their best song, but it certainly isn't bad.
hitmanvp95
hitmanvp95
1,089 posts
Nomad

A song doesn't need impeccable vocals for a large audience to enjoy, which is exactly the case here. I'm not saying that SLTS is their best song, but it certainly isn't bad.

No one said it was bad, it's just not as good as everyone says it is.
Showing 1-15 of 15