ForumsArt, Music, and WritingWoM FAQ

24 65398
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

This is a Frequently Asked Questions thread for the Way of Moderation

About the FAQ:

* The only people who post in it are Cenere and myself. Thus I keep it locked.

* It will tell you everything you need to know about the WoM.

FAQ

What is The Way of Moderation Tournament?

It's a story-writing elimination contest.

What do I do in the WoM?

You read the story in the main thread, then submit an entry based on instructions I outline after that story.

How do I submit?

Make a post in the main thread following the instructions for the relevant part. It can be written as a story, a script, drawn as a comic or even animated. I will tell you whether your submission is acceptable, and if not, what needs to be changed.

So what is the WoM about?

The Administration of AG has decided it needs a new moderator! However, since Devoidless broke the legendary Wheel of Moderation, a tournament shall be held instead of the traditional ceremony. In this tournament, all candidates successfully admitted to the ranks of the competitors will be tested by the moderators and each other, and eventually the competitors will be eliminated until only one is left.

Does this mean the winner of the WoM gets to become a moderator?

No. This is a work of fiction, and has nothing to do with becoming a moderator of AG.

So why participate? What's in it for me?

Participants have a chance to have their character become a featured character in either an animation or a game based on this series. How heavily your character is featured depends on the performance or involvement of your character in the WoM, your character may be selected to play a supporting role or even make cameo appearances in the game/animation.

How many characters can I submit?

You may submit one character or a single team of characters that act together. However, within that team, you need to select a main character.

How often are the deadlines?

Once the main story begins, the deadlines will range between two to four weeks, depending on what I have going on at the time and the expected scope of the challenge I have set for you.

How will you judge the submissions?

Vague but strong factors are creativity and attitude, which is highly subjective. However, some things set in concrete: no Mary-Sues. No god-modding. You MUST stick to your character's parameters as defined in the approved character sheet. Bending the world rules will also work strongly against you.

What's a Mary-Sue? What's god-modding? How do I know what's in the world rules?

A Mary-Sue is a character that either has a cliché, stereotyped history or has cool abilities to a highly unrealistic degree, frequently so as to give them no weaknesses. They are frowned upon here because it's hard to write a balanced fiction with Mary-Sues in it.

God-modding is a term used in role-playing games, but here it means playing your character in an out-of-character fashion that would require your character to be more powerful, more knowledgeable or more able than they should be, as dictated by your pre-approved character sheet. This is one of the big no-no's of roleplaying and collaborative fiction writing.

You will know what's in the world rules from what I have written. Some of it will be open to interpretation but I will be very clear about what's not allowed.

If my character is knocked out, am I excluded from the tournament?

From winning it, obviously (otherwise what's the point!?) From participating, definitely not. Whether or not you do continue is up to you. However, there will be side stories coming up and I may even assign you personal tasks, provided you wish to continue.

Who is running this?

Strop (main GM) and Cenere (co-GM). Cenere will be up-to-date with the pertinent information so if Iâm not available, ask Cenere.
  • 24 Replies
Showing 31-30 of 24