ForumsWEPRDo you believe in the colonization of Mars? Futuristically Speaking

17 5690
Crunk88
Crunk88
123 posts
Nomad

In a few years from now there will be the first manned mission to Mars, through the years we have done allot of research about its environment and learned that it actually contains and ice cap with H2O. I am not saying any time soon that this will happen but I feel that in a few hundred years, Mars will be inhabitable. We might not be able to go outside on Mars, but live in specially designed buildings that are able to support life and withstand Mars's harsh climate.

What do all you people think about this topic, is it possible?

• 17 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Not only is it possible, I posit that it may be imperative to expand colonialism extraterrestrially. Given the alternative may be a population collapse from cumulative environmental pressures and the burden of supporting a population that is so good at prolonging its presence that it is no longer supportable by the Earth alone.

However colonialisation of Mars alone would not be a solution, if this problem turns out to be more than a hypothetical, as the resource cost of colonising Mars or any other planet would be high, and it would be a long time before the benefits could make up for the initial defecit. Man may very well go on some kind of divergent interplanetary quest, given that the next nearest "liveable" planets may be at least 10.5 light years away.

Personally I am rather dispassionate when it comes to contemplating the extinction of the human race, but I'm sure others are less so (hence "imperative".)

Crunk88
Crunk88
123 posts
Nomad

I agree with what you are saying, the costs would be pretty high. By the time we start colonizing Mars we will be able to play God as you will. Planets with an ideal temperature for plant life will most likely be inhabitable by us, we will be able to compose an atmosphere with hydrogen, oxygen and hydrogen from other planets. We would have the power to mine planets in our own solar system and use their materials. But thats way out of the question until another thousand years.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Hmm...it's easy to imagine these things being possible, but it's really hard to know *when* they'll come about.

A couple of things that I predict will be revolutionary in terms of technology would be the tapping of hydrogen as a fuel, and the manufacture of carbon nanotubes. I'm not so sure about things such as recomposing atmosphere, and faster-than-light travel, which would be necessary unless cryogenic freezing (and thawing) were possible.

Crunk88
Crunk88
123 posts
Nomad

I find this topic more interesting then the others just cuz it makes me think. Who cares who likes Bush or not hes an idiot, and yeh i have heard about the meteor.

Cryogenic freezing is a LONG ways away, i feel sorry for the people who have donated their brains for research. There brain might get destroyed through the process. But we are learning allot from a frog that does this on its own, it freezes over in the winter and come spring its cells rebuild themselves and it comes alive again. It has to do with a serum inside the frog itself, that get secreted into the blood stream to warm cells.

We are already using hydrogen as energy but there are a few qwerks. In cars hydrogen tanks are to large and heavy also VERY dangerous, and there still trying to make the concept of using hydrogen appealing to people. A hydrogen car accident would take out a city block, and its not a nice thought.

DecadentDragon
DecadentDragon
242 posts
Nomad

Think War of the Worlds, in reverse.

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

Crunk, you have a great point with the hydrogen, and taking resourses from other planets. It is enevitable that we will have to go to Mars. Our sun is still very young and in millions of years, it will be way stronger and hotter, so we will have to move to Mars. The Earth will be way to hot, (no thanks to global warming) and then Mars will be in the "Green Ring" or certain distance from the heat sourse so organisms can live. After that, hopefully we will have the technology to move to even as far as Jupiter. Our sun will keep on getting bigger, so this WILL happen.

Crunk88
Crunk88
123 posts
Nomad

Thanks Coheed, another reason to push us to move to Mars is our population would be so vast and resources would be almost depleted. Jupiter is unlikely to be colonized because of its atmosphere and gravity. Although there are a few of Jupiterâs moons that look habitable in the future, i dont remember the names at all but i think one is called Titan.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Anyways...back to Mars and people.

I think that if we do a few things to make the planet more human-friendly it could work.

Either make it so that small plants(like algae or moss) start to make an decent atmosphere, of just contstruct large bio-domes that have a controlled enviroment.

As far as the humans getting there, providing that we do not make some pretty sweet ways of traveling faster than we do now, just send younger people with a few older and more skilled people. Along those lines.

guitrfreek
guitrfreek
13 posts
Nomad

Of course it's possible. It's incredible how humans have used everything to their will and became the most dangerous animal on this planet. In a few years, there will be a breakthrough in science. Then in another few, another breakthrough. We are rapidly developing new technologies and making life easier and easier.

The colonization of Mars will take a while because we just aren't ready for it (not the right technology is developed yet and disease is still a major issue), but we will be ready eventually. I just hope that with this rapid development of technology, mankind won't do something stupid with it and wipe us out. There is only one species of human, and we have made the greatest breakthroughs, but also the worst mistakes.

You really have to ask yourself this ... Will we make it until then?

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

theyve found bacteria up there, which proves alien life is real. we're still not sure if the moon is lifeless, so if we do colonize mars, someone might wanna re-colonize it

madgamer012
madgamer012
741 posts
Nomad

Actually, NASA is planning to start a dome project(so we can live in it) on mars around 2150. I read it in a couple books or so. So if earth gets destroyed :/, we will be ready for mars :\\

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

Well like i said before, the sun will start to become too hot in about 2-3 million years (I think) so we still have time to get everything situated on Mars. This could also cause problems. Should we let diseased people go up there? If we don't then we could have a disease free planet.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

disease free for how long? eventually, two mars colonies will start to get mad at eachother, an then a war'll start, an eventually, maybe 10 or 12 wars later, someone will develop a bio-organic weapon an then release it, an now whoopsie daisy we've got disease again. the world jez cant behave itself

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

I once read a book, and it acctually said that if we had enough resources we would just start pumping Oil and Oxygen and Nitrogen into Mars's atmosphere, after it receives a strong atmosphere, we've got a new planet that you can go outside in. Sadly, I don't think Technology is going that far. We still have some people that think no one went to the moon. :S [Saw some old men on HistoryHD, first time I ever watched the channel. Lol]

Anyway, I think Mars will NEVER be colonized, just because Earth was built for us. xP If we do have over-population problems, I don't tihnk spending million dollar fuel, rocket launch setup, pilot trips and training would be needed. After all, you can't just throw people into mars, they won't know how to live and will eventually kill themselves. I doubt diseased people have much knowledge of how to deal with gravity in a shuttle. Just saying, though.

As people go up, resources go down. I only think that 1) The Manned Mars mission will be a failure, because it seems nearly impossible that a shuttle with Men could make it to mars and back with resources while going that far. Who's gonna even get the Oil for it?

I'm not sure, it just seems like over time The earth is being wasted down into nothing while were flying around other planets :P

Doesn't look like it'll ever be colonized, but who knows, maybe 500 Years from now they'll say. "My Daddy was one of deh lucky ppl that got to live on Mars, and his daddy's name was COHEED! "

Who knows. Lol. xP

notepad7
notepad7
75 posts
Nomad

I think we could one day but maybe one day we could but think about this we can't even have a machince come back to earth and we'll first need to do this on the moon it could happen one day but not in our lifetime maybe even not in this milleneum

Showing 1-15 of 17