ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3068616
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

People who have never judged should judge to know that its not always smooth flowing. Real life and stuff yeah. So I'm just imploring for a little more patience.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

People who have never judged should judge to know that its not always smooth flowing

sounds good,when does Killersup start?
Darktroop07
Darktroop07
3,592 posts
Shepherd

sounds good,when does Killersup start?

Please don't, if you do the one's that don't get their haiku as the best, will be shot by your terrifying 12 gauge >.>
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

An idea for the impatient. Judges issue themes when they close the contest, not after they judge. Of course this runs the risk of massive procrastinization and build up.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

If dudeguy hasn't finished judging by tomorrow night, I'll do it over the weekend.

Judges issue themes when they close the contest, not after they judge.

Good idea, but with the tri-judge system, the next person in line would have to put it out. So I will.

THE NEXT ROUND'S THEME IS: Silence

I'll ask a mod to change the title when the current round is judged. Entries for the new round will not be counted until that time. So save 'em.
shock457
shock457
708 posts
Shepherd

Silence? I thought the winner will choose the theme.

Apparently the descision isn't anonymous. Acmed wants this to happen. Dudeguy didn't say anything about this yet. Only you disagree, but Acmed wants the winner to choose theme.

Dudeguy is supposed to choose the theme...

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

No no, we have two ways under discussion. One, winner decides. Two, next judge chooses; if we go by the second for now because we're still undecided on, then Palp chooses because he's the next judge.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

^Heres my haiku for the round. Enjoy.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Ain't there Mav.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I thought the winner will choose the theme.

How would such a round be judged? Let the winner do it? They may be swayed by friendships or other factors. Let a judge do it? It's difficult to judge a theme that was chosen by someone else, due to mixed interpretations or by having a confusing or specific topic that the judge may not be familiar with. Perhaps we could give a list of options for acceptable themes after the end of the judging rotation, and whichever judge put the word/phrase selected from the list could judge.
Darktroop07
Darktroop07
3,592 posts
Shepherd

They may be swayed by friendships or other factors. Let a judge do it?

I'm sure the people that post their haiku's won't be swayed by such pitiful things, since most people that post a haiku have pride in their work, and have their own pride.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

I'm sure the people that post their haiku's won't be swayed by such pitiful things

You assume too much of humanity at large.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Holy ****, did I not get Mav's joke haiku....

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

dudeguy posted in the wrong forum! XD anyway here is what he said....

I had a bad case of the homework/cross country/ sleep deprivation/ masturbation is a priority disease. So my apologies to all desperately awaiting their fav contest on AG.

You dishonor ancestors award

killersup!

covering the shame
brick by brick,again
the wall stands forward

No killing this time killer? But unfortunately, despite your good looks, the form for a haiku is 5-7-5. you have 5-5-5. Sowee plz dont ban meh great theme though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brick Layers award

darktroop

The wall is rising,
For you keep adding layers.
When will it crumble?

Good haiku, it sounds like someone is causing all this trouble that is bound to fall apart. Nice vocab. Kinda relating to the theme, but not as much as I'd like.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It all comes down to this award

Palpatine

Crucial central cube:
Everything falls into place;
Or everything falls.

What a boss. You use grammar to the max, with the ;'s and the :'s. You place much importance on this brick, which is great. Uber vocab. Nicely done.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IQ >70 Award

nicho

We cursed the dark host,
A divine sanction to kill,
As the Ark passed by.

The old saying is you got to know your audience. You forget my intelligence is severely lower than yours nicho. I will give you credit for use of big words, but my brain can only figure that this is about an Ark, and there is no mention of "another" or "brick" or "in", nary is there any "wall".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Confucius Say Award

shock457

Great Wall of China
How your grace amazes us
With death under stone.

Sorry, I hate Chinese people, you're disqualified. Just kidding. I love the last line, showing how many people died for that wall. I would like more info about another brick in the wall, but i know that's hard with a haiku. Good job.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please Don't Step On the Grass Award

hahiha

A blade of grass fights,
Struggles for freedom and light;
Unnoticed by men

I can see what you're doing here. You aren't relating directly to A brick and a wall but the saying "Another brick in the wall", like no different from all the other. It's struggle goes unnoticed due to it's likeness to the other blades of grass. Nice word choice, and great interpretation. Great.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Username Does Not Equal Your Placing Award

toprank

I dont like haikus
but i will give it a try
one among many

Congrats on the 2/3 award. Your lines don't match at all. Thanks for playing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ghosts Award

mav

You cannot kill us.
Through your iron oppression
Our spirit lives on.

Sorry, no queers allowed in my haiku contest. Your haiku kinda fits the theme, like unity is strength and blah blah blah. i guess you got OK word choice. I guess it is an OK haiku. OK.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Win by Default Award

NoNameC68

Have you seen Pinky?
He is not doing too well
He misplaced his mind.

Omg a mod entered the contest I will give him 1st place. You relate the theme to the composers of the song, Pink Floyd. Good job, you look like a true fan. But it's not really really in the theme.... kinda. plz dont ban meh
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Complainer Award

aknerd

Behind these cold eyes
I run in the fires of hell
Looking for a crack

If you didn't complain about your fires syllables, I would have disqualified you. But since you bring up a worthy point, I must say you have an interesting take on the theme. Maybe some punctuation next time? But good word choice and good haiku.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I Ain't Like the Rest Baby Award

IC4I

They all seem the same
But one stands out among them
Nonconformity

I like it, you're saying not all the bricks in the wall are the same; they're diffrent. I also like the one word last line, that shows skill that you can wrap up your whole haiku that way. Good word choice. Awesome.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Winner= hahiha for his interesting take on the theme.

I have no witty picture to post. Goodbye
Darktroop07
Darktroop07
3,592 posts
Shepherd

Good haiku, it sounds like someone is causing all this trouble that is bound to fall apart. Nice vocab. Kinda relating to the theme, but not as much as I'd like.

Spot on, I based it off the Berlin wall >.>.
Showing 4561-4575 of 5299