ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3067985
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Today is the twelfth of November. That means that all Haiku's are due today. No more submissions will be accepted, unless I am otherwise mistaken.
That said, my next post will be to announce the winner and the two runner-ups. Good luck people!

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

I know, I know, I said my next post would be to announce the winner's but to answer your question, xXxDAPRO89xXx:

And am i the only submission lol...?

No, you're not. You have at least six submissions behind you.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

No, you're not. You have at least six submissions behind you

Oh yeah there are six behind me... All on page 497 :P
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Okay, here are the results. Don't be angry with me if you don't like it. And don't think I pick favorites just because I picked you. Additionally, those who ignored the theme, well...read on.

IC4I - 5th Place

Through the corridor
From it's darkness into light
A true victory

I'm confused about this one. I wasn't sure about that little 'it's'. I'm sure 'From it is darkness into light' doesn't sound right.

The Gentleman - 4th Place

I'l fight. Forever.
Thru pain. Thru fear. Fall, never.
Light. Will came. I'm sure.

You forgot the second 'l' in 'I'll' and spelled 'through' as 'thru'. Yep, grammar is good, my friend but good grammar is even better. Doesn't matter how you spell 'through' it's always one syllable so no problem there. Good work though, the poem, though rough and short is very blunt making it more poignant.

Jacen96 - 3rd Place

The War

As this long war ends;
Some fights won, but others lost;
We triumph at last.

Congrats on 3rd place. Odd usage of punctuation, but hey, content matters too. Good work.

jdoggparty - 2nd Place

When all hope is gone
He helps you out the tunnel
Appearing as light

Beautiful premise but the language is somewhat awkward. Haikus are hard to master, but well done anyways. The message is very uplifting.

xXxDAPRO89xXx - 1st Place

The tunnel's frail light
Is the end of a journey.
A well fought battle.

Well worded, impeccable punctuation and grammar. I like how 'frail light' kind of runs together like smooth music. 'End' and 'journey' work well together, the assonance is both symbolically and physically meaningful. Great work! Run, run, go get your merit!!

There you have it. By the way, those are my comments after each submission. They are not an indication of why I picked each one for each place. Those are just some things to be mindful of when you submit again. Good work everyone!

Now...what am I supposed to do? Make another theme?
*looks around furtively*
Let's do.

New Theme: The Thanksgiving Spirit
Let's try a new twist on this one. I'll give everyone plenty of time. Due November 30th. Good luck, minna-san!

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
889 posts
Nomad

Congrats!
November 30th? I should definitely have enough time to submit something.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

DAPRO89's haiku will be proudly archived in the About of HaikuContestWinners

No more submissions will be accepted, unless I am otherwise mistaken.

Typically, the round doesn't close until after 11:59pm of the due date, but oh well. I doubt many more users would've participated in the next few hours.

Run, run, go get your merit!!

Those were cancelled months ago. Hence, drumming up support has been difficult.
xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

NOOO I MISSED THIS ONE D: WHY MEEE.. Well i live on the opposite side of the world, and while there is day, here is night, and i have to sleep :/

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

I was late by few minutes Now im so sad, i want to cry..... ;( AND HERE IS NOT YET 13 ITS 12...... you guys should keep up with all timelines, not only for yours !!! I had time but you guys ended too early....

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

I doubt many more users would've participated in the next few hours.

Well next time Follow The Rules. If they sway 11.59 end it then!
xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

Im sorry for the 4 postings, but i want this contest results to be NULLIFIED, CANCELED!

the round doesn't close until after 11:59pm of the due date

This means that if the voting is done Before 11:59, its INVALID! It should be REVOKED!

The rules have been broken, and something like that should not happen!

Original Rule:

3) It must be submitted before the deadline

Well the deadline is 12th. This means ALL DAY OF 12TH. And results on 13th, which clearly is not done. If everyone stop following rules what would have happened? Fake votes for winners, and Chaos, Chaos everywhere!
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I doubt many more users would've participated in the next few hours.

I get what you are saying...sucks though 'cause I was planning on submitting one =/ Oh well..next time though
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I had time but you guys ended too early....

You had more than enough time. Most of the submissions were in on the first day, nearly 2 weeks ago.

Fake votes for winners

How do you think this works? There are no votes. This isn't a democracy.

sucks though 'cause I was planning on submitting one =/

How long were you planning this? You had 12.7 days.

But fine.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!!!
I'll allow submissions for the old round to continue until midnight, as originally intended. Just be sure to announce which contest you're entering.
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Typically, the round doesn't close until after 11:59pm of the due date, but oh well. I doubt many more users would've participated in the next few hours.
Why wasn't I told?

Chaos? Yep, it seems that way, doesn't it? No one can blame me for what I don't know. Why didn't anyone say that due November 12th meant due November 12th until midnight on November 12th? Ermagerhd!! This is driving me nuts!

Those were cancelled months ago. Hence, drumming up support has been difficult.
Oh, and no wonder there's not much participation! When was this cancelled? And why?

I'm wondering, is this a lost case or not?

Note: If you really want to get a haiku in for the round that supposedly ended, you'd better do it now. Midnight will be here soon. I am not happy about this.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Well worded, impeccable punctuation and grammar. I like how 'frail light' kind of runs together like smooth music. 'End' and 'journey' work well together, the assonance is both symbolically and physically meaningful. Great work! Run, run, go get your merit!!

Thank you murasaki9, the queen of haikus
And i have to thank EmperorPalpatine as he told me the third line was sloppy. And i rewrote it and won! Thanks Palpatine Also, thanks for adding me to the winners!
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

How long were you planning this? You had 12.7 days.

I've been busy and haven't had the time to come up with a Haiku. But it is fine..like I said..I will just do the next round. You guys closed this round and I will abide by it...I'd hate to be a bother
Showing 4786-4800 of 5299