ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3067639
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

That doesn't make it any less of a nonessential parenthetical element [can be re/moved without changing the essential meaning of the sentence], which requires commas. link, link.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

This is going in circles. That rule does not apply in this case. Why? Revisit the two versions:

1. Winter finally is here.
2. Winter is finally here.

Again, I ask: Assuming that the rule applies here, why is it that that the first version must be set off by commas, but the second version doesn't? Yes, the "finally" in the first sentence is an interrupting modifier, but as I noted above, commas do not resolve the interruption. In fact, they obstruct the flow even more, if anything. The rule described by your two links generally does not apply to adverbs.

And as I said before, in MIT link, the author specifically wrote, "you can often get away with interrupting the structure of the sentence with a short (one-word) modifier." This is one of those situations.

I'm done here. If you wish, you may continue this on my profile, though I'm not sure how else to convince you.

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

This is a pointless discussion. I'm sorry, but it is. Just let people submit and if their haikus are incorrect grammatically or whatever, hey, they don't have to win the contest.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

This is a pointless discussion. I'm sorry, but it is. Just let people submit and if their haikus are incorrect grammatically or whatever, hey, they don't have to win the contest.

The discussion has been transferred over to our respective profiles, but I don't think it's pointless. Wouldn't you agree that participants deserve a fair judging of their haikus? Docking points for trivial grammar mistakes is a petty way of judging, in my opinion. Plus, if the judges are going to scrutinize the haikus for grammar, you guys should have a mastery of grammar rules.

Like, you need a comma after "submit" in your second sentence. That's how stupid this grammar thing is. But I do agree that egregious mistakes are different and should count against the author.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

After further research, xerox's haiku will be accepted, but it contains weak structure and I advise improving it, although there will be no penalty if it remains unchanged.

Arceus12
Arceus12
145 posts
Shepherd

Ok EmperorPalpatine here is the full haiku whith the necesairy modifications

Paradise in ice,
Like an ice-cold block of ice
They live in ice now

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Popsicle

Pleasing shade of pink,
Scent of the blazing tropics,
Yet cool on the tongue.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I hope I'm not too late! I don't know what time it is in the US now.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

No worries. Over 11hrs left.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Ah, that's a relief. I presume the next one will be Xmas themed?

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I should be able to judge this round on Saturday. The new theme should be up then.

I presume the next one will be Xmas themed?

It's a bit late for Hanukkah.
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
889 posts
Nomad

Oh, I completely forgot about this. I'll try get something in before midnight.

MagicTree
MagicTree
749 posts
Nomad

Blissful Cold

Blissful cold freezes,
Shards of ice make a mosaic
Snow rests, soft and silent
It's been a while.

MagicTree
MagicTree
749 posts
Nomad

It's been a while.

Is not part of the haiku. Sorry.
I just wanted to say that it's been a while since I did one.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

So call'd paradise!
A white demon's tyranny
Traps hope down, frozen

Showing 4891-4905 of 5299