The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3073087
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

Official Entry
Fragile petal
plunging to the ground madly.
Once pink now is red.

Unofficial Entry
The heart grows quickly
emerging beauty, love, faith
too soon does it fall

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

If This tree brings petals that
were our skin, we would
float on breaths of air.

KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

IcyIndia...Haiku's are 5-7-5
What you have is 7-5-5

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Eh. Just saying.

A haiku is a non-rhymed verse genre. In Japanese, haiku has five syllables in the first part, seven in the second, and five again in the last part (they count sounds, not strictly syllables, however, and also write in a single vertical line, but we use three horizontal lines in English).

Haiku in Japanese is written in a single vertical line with seventeen sound units or mora (not strictly the same as syllables)

Outside Japan, most practiced haiku writers write about 10 to 14 syllables to approximate the brevity of a Japanese haiku, which is sometimes described as a one-breath poem.
Zaork
Zaork
439 posts
Nomad

Shielding protection
Overborne weak thrive sweetly
Joint victims of birth

BlackSkullDragon
BlackSkullDragon
161 posts
Peasant

Brought from Giresun
History's old pink witness
Plenty it has seen

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

Pazx: If this were a real English haiku contest, we wouldn't be caring about the syllables, we'd just be caring about how short, concise, and poignant everything is. Considering that it's not a very easy thing to do without some grasp of Eastern poetry, might as well just stick to the syllables to create an even playing field for everyone.

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

I was not aware, before I made my haiku, that it was required that I stay with the 5-7-5 syllable lines. I knew that it was how it was usually done, but I thought that only 17 syllables were required, and that the syllables-per-line amount could be interchanged between seven and five.

KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

@Pazx/IcyIndia

that's not what the contest states though...the contest states that

"A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons."
not anything else...don't go searching for something to bend the rules...
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

Just change the poem to fit 5-7-5
Lets just go along with the rules, not look for the technical term of a haiku.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

As it is today, technicalities relative to Haikus are different from region to region, and from tongue to tongue and that's the reason why we have strict rules, as previously stated.
That way, we make the judging easier and less subjective...In fact, ''more impartial'' would be the appropriate term.
I'm sorry, but that's how it is and since the contest's been rolling for so long it'd be a shame to twist Maverick's original rules. Not that I'm not open to change but I feel it is easier for everyone that way!
Judging will be sometime this week, at a very, very late hour as usual. Until then, happy haikuing.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

I wasn't looking to change it and I wasn't trying to bend the rules, I was just stating a fact about a form of Haiku we aren't using. I fully agree with Fallen and keeping the rules as they are.

Besides, it's not the form that matters

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

Well said, though I must say; that outburst wasn't really directed at you Pazx, don't worry.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Just wondering if you guys forgot about this.

There was no deadline set so I assumed the deadline was a week after and it's been 10 days.

If you didn't forget about this then never mind.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

Lemme just squeeze one out while I'm bored if it's not too late...

Evanescent belle,
In the sea of apathy,
Weep for those who can't.

Showing 2461-2475 of 5299