ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3067699
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I'll have the results up tonight unless I missed someone's.

Er...Emp?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Er...Emp?

Chill (pun intended). I've been doing last-minute revisions for the past hour.

Since no complaints were made regarding submissions, here you go.

A lot of these are just too darn similar. My interpretations are likely way off, but...

--------------------
[When I say "Punctuation should be consistant", I don't necessarily mean that every line needs it, nor is it required, but if you're using it, make it flow consistantly because it seems a bit disjointed.]
--------------------

xXxDAPRO89xXx

Paradise of ice.
A parade never-ending.
The one icey life

Punctuation should be consistant. The slight alliterations of nEver-Ending and [i]cey l[i]fe were uplifting. I see it as an Inuit tribesman appreaciating all that he has, enjoying the vast expanse of the Arctic.

--------------------
Arceus12

Paradise in ice,
Like an ice-cold block of ice
They live in ice now

Punctuation should be consistant. Who is this 'they'? I don't quite get the need for saying that ice is similar to an ice-cold block of ice, other than for the syllables. Redundancy is redundant. The last line seems stretched for syllables, as well. Anyway, I interpret this as a young couple that froze to death in eachother's arms; long gone, yet inseperable.

--------------------
pickpocket

Paradise of ice
It's where I keep all my food
Refrigerator

The message is good: convenience is indeed a luxury that we should all be grateful for. But the second line seems a bit choppy. "It's where I keep all of my food" would've flowed better, but then there would be a syllable issue.

--------------------
xerox

Cold air passes through...
Winter finally is here:
Paradise of ice!

This really seems to capture the overall feeling of Winter: how warmly accepted these chilly months can be; that it's something to be anticipated instead of scorned. Anyway, the flow is good and the tone is uplifting.

--------------------
Roxxar123

The cold air of ice,
Brings a feel of paradise
Paradise of ice.

Punctuation should be consistant. The rhyming and repetition give it a decent flow. This seems like a person is freezing to death, but they are numbed beyond pain, so it feels blissful and calming to them.

--------------------
killersup10

blistering tundra
beautiful swollen snowflakes
frozen paradise

This reminds me of looking out the window as a child when it would snow, and the snow would pile high in exquisite mounds; unmoving, other than the sand-like dusting on top... Anyway, it has a good flow, but, although not required, punctuation/capitalization would've been nice.

--------------------
Maverick4

I can't be bothered
To even attempt to feel.
Apathy at last!

A strange, but welcome twist on the theme. This has a similar connotation to Roxxar123's poem: it appears quite dismal to an external observer, but to the individual, it is pleasant. Anyway, the flow is good and the tone is very uplifting.

--------------------
Nichodemus

Pleasing shade of pink,
Scent of the blazing tropics,
Yet cool on the tongue.

Another welcome twist, saying that the ice tastes like a warm paradise. I like the contrast and sensory imagery. It also flows very well.

--------------------
MagicTree

Blissful cold freezes,
Shards of ice make a mosaic
Snow rests, soft and silent

Punctuation should be consistant. I like the strong imagery, about how each individual snowflake joins and contributes to the whole. It's a lovely metaphor for humanity. A very good flow with a slightly diminishing tone.

--------------------
pangtongshu

So call'd paradise!
A white demon's tyranny
Traps hope down, frozen

This reminds me of how Russian prisoners were occasionally sent to Siberia as punishment for their crimes: some saw it as a taste of freedom; to others, death. The dismal tone is good, in this case.

--------------------

69_lol_69

Paradise of ice.
An entourage of coldness
Icicle loving.

I'm not sure how the last line fits. What is loving the icicle(s)? Is it a particular person's fetish? Is it that the land's conditions create them? With any interpretation, that last line still seems disjointed and hinders the flow quite a bit.

--------------------
And the winner is...

(extremely long dramatic pause)

killersup10

There were others that I would've likely chosen, but yours happened to strike a strong emotional chord. Good job.

--------------------

killersup10's poem will be proudly displayed in the about of the account HaikuContestWinners, at least until an official archive is made.

--------------------

The NEXT THEME is: Naughty or Nice. It will be due Dec 24 11:59pm AGtime. Have fun, everyone!
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

The slight alliterations of nEver-Ending and [i]cey l[i]fe were uplifting.

lol... I never notice these things xD But thanks for your crit.
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
889 posts
Nomad

Congratulations, Killersup.

Anyhow, I'll try do something for this theme even though it's a bit bleh.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

And the winner is...

(extremely long dramatic pause)

killersup10

There were others that I would've likely chosen, but yours happened to strike a strong emotional chord. Good job.

waht. staph. Emp waht r u doing.

:O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O WHAAAAAT!!?? Really? WHAAAAT?
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Congratulations, Killersup!

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Blood dries on his knife
We curse, despite our hunger
As he hands us bread

Just in case...I'm using a one syllable our

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
889 posts
Nomad

@Pang, the first two lines are good but the ending seems a bit abrupt.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

@Pang, the first two lines are good but the ending seems a bit abrupt.

1) Who is this Pang? Is he an imposter of me..pang?

2) A bit of what I was going for...a sudden entrance of a new/lighter viewpoint on the person

3) Could have made something much better...in my opinion it seems pretty weak..especially compared to how I'm used to writing (and compared to my other haikus..)..but only one submission per user..so oh well haha
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

but only one submission per user..so oh well haha

You can always submit a different one if you're having doubts, just say which one is your final entry.
marton96
marton96
404 posts
Nomad

What a holiday

Though I am not nice
Cheer and spice and happy things
Always make me smile

~marton96

It's about being naughty but enjoying holiday spirit.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

She teases in red,
Giggles with faux innocence,
Tugging at my tie.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Well nich O.o

You sly dirty dog you haha

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I wonder if it can get past the PG filter here.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
889 posts
Nomad

Eh, I don't see why that wouldn't get passed the PG filter - because, if you understood in 'that' way it's not furthermore corrupting your mind.

Showing 4921-4935 of 5299