ForumsGamesStar Wars: The Old Republic vs. WoW

16 3143
tomthesniper
tomthesniper
309 posts
Nomad

I know Star Wars isn't even out yet, but with the work getting put into it and the already awesome looking gameplay footage that has battles playing out like in KOTOR( is being made by Bioware), I think this game could be a real contender to beat WoW. Which do you think will come out on top? My money's on Star Wars.

• 16 Replies
HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

but with the work getting put into it

As if less work goes into WoW...

awesome looking gameplay footage that has battles playing out like in KOTOR

Well, they're going to cut the trailers in an exciting manner, but it's not an accurate depiction of what the game will be like to play.

I think this game could be a real contender to beat WoW. Which do you think will come out on top? My money's on Star Wars.

It's a possibility, but I'm not putting chips down on the table yet. We've already had one Star Wars MMO and I was not impressed with SWTOR's predecessor.
quickshift
quickshift
349 posts
Nomad

I don't think a star wars MMORPG is very appealing..

Thyll
Thyll
476 posts
Nomad

Well, they're going to cut the trailers in an exciting manner, but it's not an accurate depiction of what the game will be like to play.

Trailers? Check [url=http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/816935/bioware-mmo-project/videos/gcom09_oldrepublic_spc1_082109.html]this out. Actual game play.
HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

Trailers? Check this out. Actual game play.

Even gameplay footage doesn't really cut it for most MMOs. With action games, you can get a better idea of what it will be like to play, but MMOs depend on more strategic combat, so whether or not it's interesting is not something you can typically show in a video clip. Some games you wind up hitting the same button over and over; others are more varied and much more involved in what you have to do to be successful.

Nightfox44
Nightfox44
192 posts
Nomad

i agree i just don't think it would work out as well as WoW did.

Seyulshehir
Seyulshehir
136 posts
Nomad

While I'm a huge Star Wars geek and I dislike WoW I'm still not putting my vote for TOR just yet. I mean I was totally pumped for Galaxies and look what happened to that. Yes this game looks better than Galaxies and they seem to have a better handle on the game but I still have yet to play it myself. So until I can make an accurate judgment (which, in my opinion, is only something you can make if you PLAYED the game) my vote is for nothing right now.

Lieutenut
Lieutenut
1,251 posts
Nomad

If the makers of the first two KOTOR are helping then I think it will be better. WoW is getting pretty old now and of course The old Republic will have star wars fan boys to support it

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

If the makers of the first two KOTOR are helping then I think it will be better.

The original KOTOR was made by Bioware;

The second game was made by Obsidian Entertainment (formerly Black Isle) with Bioware assisting on some technical issues.

As far as I know, Obsidian are not working on SWTOR - they're currently developing Fallout New Vegas.
tomthesniper
tomthesniper
309 posts
Nomad

I was just saying that this game wont be as big a failure as Galaxies, especially with Bioware at the helm. They have already made so many great RPGs.

Lieutenut
Lieutenut
1,251 posts
Nomad

I was just saying that this game wont be as big a failure as Galaxies, especially with Bioware at the helm. They have already made so many great RPGs.

I agree/disagree.

I don't think galaxies was that much of a failure, although it definitely couldn't compete with WoW it still had a really good run, and now the players are only declining in numbers because of the new star wars mmorpg coming out. Also yes, Bioware made some kick a$$ rpg's, but if they can make a good MMOrpg.... well I just don't know if they can pull it off.
tomthesniper
tomthesniper
309 posts
Nomad

Have Bioware ever disapointed us before?

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

Have Bioware ever disapointed us before?

The first Neverwinter nights game was a huge disappointment. The engine was good.. but the plot sucked & the singleplayer was really.. very.. mediocre at best.

I didn't feel the writing in KOTOR was very good.. it was.. seriously pedestrian. However, they did an excellent job with the story and writing in Mass Effect, so I think moving forward that's not something that will be a concern.

Jade Empire could have been better. The combat system was reaching for the stars, but in how it delivered was more.. up a tall ladder.

So the answer would be yes - Bioware has disappointed in the past, though not most recently.
Raxel
Raxel
129 posts
Nomad

Is "I hope not" an answer to ToR vs WoW?

Competing with Warcraft is pretty much the worst thing ToR can possibly do. The most obvious problem with this plan is that... WORLD OF WARCRAFT IS HUUUGE. They've been around a long time and have a massive amount of subs and an equally massive pile o' cash to improve themselves over direct competition (assuming no miracles are involved, that should be enough to hold onto the title of biggest MMO for a while).

A some what less obvious problem would be having the awesome potential of a game set in the old republic be another WoW clone. Good God, if I see another game with extremely linear class roles, ineffectual quests (Getting better all the time in WoW, but it is a few steps ahead of most clones anyway), and gear-based character development (Bonus points if the gear is dropped randomly and can compensate for skill by giving you bigger numbers [Admit it WoW players, this is how it is])... I'll have to give up on anyone having the sense to ADVANCE the genre. Ever.

tomthesniper
tomthesniper
309 posts
Nomad

Actually, every single player has their own campaign like story paths, complete with cutscenes. The only retard thing is, you can choose to be a light side SITH WARRIOR.

taigers12
taigers12
19 posts
Nomad

Well, they released some gameplay footage, so it's not all trailers. I'm not bagging on you, it's just that they show real combat. So, the combat will be pretty close to what you see in the video. If you want to see part one of the Gameplay Footage, here is the link.
Showing 1-15 of 16