ForumsGamesShayneii's complete PS3 slim review! (with images)

43 21061
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Shayneii's complete PS3 Slim review!

I just got a PS3 slim! It's been awesome for the first couple days I've had it. While it is smaller than the original PS3... it is still pretty big compared to other systems and consoles in my TV stand's cabinet. Here is the PS3 slim's size compared to the original PS3:

http://assets.gearlive.com/blogimages/gallery/ps3-slim/ps3-with-ps3-slim_medium.jpg

What's in the box... well, when you open it up you get a bunch of cardboard, but pull out a cardboard, and voila! $299 worth of PS3 goodness. The PS3 comes with 1 DualShock3 controller, a standard AV cable to hook your PS3 up to the TV, a manual (Canadians get French and English :P ), a Quick Start guide, a USB cord for charging your DualShock3 controller, and of course, the coveted PS3 slim. I'd suggest, if you have an HDTV, go out and buy an HDMI cable. They're a lot better than the standard AV cable, and a standard AV cable won't give you high definition quality. As well, I'd suggest you go out and get another Dualshock 3 controller, however, be warned, they are very expensive, $50! Ouch!

http://www.ps3informer.com/playstation-3/2009/05/19/ps3_slim_box_01.jpg

One thing I really HATE about the PS3 slim is no backwards compatibility! It sucks, because I have a bunch of PS2 games, and can't use them at all now (my old PS2 is broken after a faithful 5 years :P ). At least certain peripherals that work on the PS2 (i.e. Rock Band instruments) still work on the PS3 (thank God) But if you still want to play PS2 games, you can go out and get a PS2 for only $90 now, less than the cost of 2 controllers for the PS3!

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/5810_ps2_white_angled-alt.jpg
Only $90? Wow!

The graphics are amazing! On a 55' LCD 1080p TV, the games look amazing. The detail is great. From the first 4 demos I've played (NHL 10, The Bigs 2, Ratchet and Clank (I don't know which version), and NASCAR 09)... they look amazing. I've seen no problems with the graphics at all. Keep in mind, I was using an HDMI cable to connect the PS3 to the TV, which doesn't come with the PS3. The PS3 only comes with the standard AV (red, white, and yellow) cords. There is no special HDMI cord for the PS3, so you can go out and get the standard type. (male to male)

http://www.gamestuff.ca/images/HDMI_Cable.jpg
HDMI Cable.

http://sky2k.com/shop/images/av_cable.jpg
PS3 AV cable.

The XMB (main OS menu) looks pretty cool. It's pretty clean, and I love the Air Paint theme, pretty nice and artistic! There is a music and video player, which is nice, however I haven't tried that feature yet.

http://i18.tinypic.com/8eh4j0x.jpg
The Air Paint theme.

There is lots of space on the PS3 slim... 120 GB! I should be good with that for a LONG time!

Now... the PSN. It's really hard creating accounts. First, I created a PS3 account under my name. Then I couldn't create a PSN account since you had to be 19, so my dad created a PSN account under my PS3 user. Then, I had to create my PSN account on the computer, it wouldn't let me on the PS3. Then when I tried to log into my PSN account with my PS3 user, it wouldn't let me... so I had to rearrange all the users to fix it, which was a hassle!

I like the PlayStation store. It's pretty organized, and you can download some demos for free! They're good for trying games out before buying them to see if they're right for you. You can also buy full games, and get DLC (downloadable content) for other games, such as more songs in Rock Band!

http://gaygamer.net/images/PS3_Store_032808.jpg
The PSN store.

Now, on to the Web Browser. The web browser isn't that great. I love that there the PS3 slim is Wi-Fi capable, so I can just hook it up to my router without any wires, which is good since my router is on a different floor in my house than the PS3. The web browser is pretty slow... and when you go on YouTube, the quality isn't that great. Maybe I should've expected that after playing games in HD on a 55' TV! However, it's alright for a quick check of Twitter or something like that.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/736/736959/ps3-browser-details-20061010020544581-000.jpg
The web browser at work.

The controller. The PS3 slim comes with a Dualshock 3, which still has SixAxis capabilities. The SixAxis capabilities is really cool since it is motion controlled, and it's really cool to use on games like Ratchet and Clank, while the character is flying and you control it with motion! Overall the controller is the same as the PS2, basic with X, O, triangle, and [] buttons, control pad, left and right analog stick, and L1/2 and R1/2 buttons. One difference is though is that R2 and L2 buttons stick out a bit more so you have more control on how hard you press the button (which is good for games with pressure sensitivity).

http://www.digitalbattle.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/dual-shock-3-snap1.jpg

Now... Blu-ray! The PS3 is a BluRay drive, which allows it to play Blu-ray games and movies which has 1080p (and almost) unrivaled quality. A Blu-ray player today will set you back about $250... and a PS3 now is only $299! So it's worth the extra $50 just to get all the awesome extra feature the PS3 has compared to just a Blu-ray player. As well, the PS3 can upscale normal DVDs for better quality as it is a Blu-ray drive. Something I found kind of ironic, is that the Sony blu-ray player is $350, while the PS3 is now $299! Why get just the blu-ray player? The answer is: don't.

Now onto the "important" part, the price! There was recently a price cut on the PS3, bringing the 120 GB PS3 slim down to $299 (in Canada). The 160GB model is still $399, but it's not worth $100 for an extra 40 GB (and the older and clunky version of the PS3) when you can go out and buy a 1 TB hard drive for around $150 and hook it up to your PS3. It's a pretty good price for a console, especially compared to the $599 on launch day. However, the controllers are expensive ($50!) and so are most of the games, sadly. However, I think they'll only get cheaper in price such as the PS2 has done.

Well, thanks to all these reasons, I have to say that the new PS3 slim is a great package! I won't touch on how good the games are because that is another review, and based a lot on opinion. I'd have to say that for these reasons, the PS3 is much better than its competitors the 360, and the Wii! Thanks for reading shayneii's Complete PS3 Slim Review.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2hdwfhl.jpg

• 43 Replies
Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

10/10 You deserve a merit! (looks around)

The review was clear and concise, and i could actually read it because it was in paragraphs.

PS: did you upgrade to firmware 3.0 yet? I want to see what that's like...

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Thank good for peripheral backwards compatibility. Rock Band is cool, but if you've ever tried to wade through the living room of a guy who owns it for all consoles, you can tell that a universal peripheral is in high demand, and backwards compatibility is the first step towards it. Did it come with any games? I didn't see them listed, but is that just because you forgot to?

pauler94
pauler94
2,514 posts
Nomad

Thanks for the review. I have a ps3 already, so I'm probably not going to get the slim. I don't really think there's a point to making a slimmer version, too, besides take up less space, because my ps3 is a monster.

shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

10/10 You deserve a merit! (looks around)

Haha thanks :P I didn't see any review on the PS3 slim... so I went ahead and did this!

Yeah, it made me upgrade as soon as I turned it on and tried to do something. I didn't really see any differences... I've only played on my cousin's old PS3 before. Here is a link to a bunch of things that changed... I don't want to copy/paste the whole blog post here... too long.

if you've ever tried to wade through the living room of a guy who owns it for all consoles, you can tell that a universal peripheral is in high demand, and backwards compatibility is the first step towards it.

Agreed... I would've just about died if it didn't have peripheral backwards compatibility ($100 down the drain...)

Did it come with any games? I didn't see them listed, but is that just because you forgot to?

No, it didn't come with any games... but really, for $299, I'm not complaining! The prices of most games have come down a bit. There is no bundle for the 120GB slim yet... though you could get the 160GB "Uncharted" bundle, with Uncharted and a different game (can't remember which one it is). But that's the old version of the PS3, and it's $100 more... not really worth it for a couple games and only 40 more GB's of storage. And I'd rather choose some games I want

I didn't really want to review any games... since I don't have any yet, and I've only played demos. As well, it's based mostly on opinion, I know I would be really biased towards sports games mostly, so I chose to stay away from review games.
florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

PS3s don't sell very well around here for some reason, so the 160GB Uncharted bundle for sale at my local Wal Mart also comes with Infamous and Killzone 2, for only 399$. Can you say best deal in gaming?

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Really, really good m8. Almost convinced me to buy one. . But I'm set on the 300 dollar 360 Elite, which is getting lowered from 400 to 300 for the holiday season.

iWazBord
iWazBord
1,912 posts
Nomad

Cool review . I was thinking of getting a PS3 for my birthday in November, and I couldn't decide to get a normal PS3 or a Slim. Do the PS2 controllers work on PS3? If not I'll have to buy a more controller when I get a PS3 Slim...

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

One thing I really HATE about the PS3 slim is no backwards compatibility! 

if you look under (ithink) add-ons in ps store you can download ps2 system software for free

it's kinda dumb, mostly aesthetics
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Cool review

Thanks.

Do the PS2 controllers work on PS3? If not I'll have to buy a more controller when I get a PS3 Slim...

You can buy some sort of adapter. Here's a list of some. However, you'll be missing out on certain DualShock3 stuff, like SixAxis motion control.

if you look under (ithink) add-ons in ps store you can download ps2 system software for free

OMG, really??? I have to check this out... know anyone that has tried this?
Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

OMG, really??? I have to check this out... know anyone that has tried this?

I think that's a lie...Sony said that there would no longer be backwards compatability available.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

I think that's a lie...Sony said that there would no longer be backwards compatability available.

for 40gigs

i still see it in store -_-
Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

Well, this is a topic about the PS3 Slim, so excuse my assumptions.

iWazBord
iWazBord
1,912 posts
Nomad

You can buy some sort of adapter. Here's a list of some. However, you'll be missing out on certain DualShock3 stuff, like SixAxis motion control.

Cool. I'll check that. If the adapters cost more then $50 (and I doubt they will) I'll buy the PS3 controller instead. What's the new things that DualShock 3 has? I'm not very current in gaming...
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Thought so.

for 40gigs

i still see it in store -_-

Nope. I haven't seen one in store for months. And this review is about the Slim!

What's the new things that DualShock 3 has?

Pretty much just SixAxis motion control... and vibration (SixAxis didn't have vibration, I'm pretty sure). And the L2 and R2 buttons stick out farther.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Nope.  I haven't seen one in store for months.  And this review is about the Slim!

i was referring to the only ps3s that don't work with ps2 system software add-on is 40gig'ers

and i still see the add-on in ps store
Showing 1-15 of 43