ForumsWEPRI am amazed

16 5523
Phluphyphill
Phluphyphill
25 posts
Nomad

at how people judge others by just looking at them
I had this happen to me because im a little overweight and fatty, but everyone thinks im lazy, but im really not that lazy i go run everyday. What do you people think?

• 16 Replies
Jtwolf22
Jtwolf22
143 posts
Nomad

Hey me too but i the lovable fat kid everyone like I'm in with the most popular people. People are sometime amazed on what i can do.

theone
theone
394 posts
Nomad

WOW people have got meaner

theone
theone
394 posts
Nomad

Well I am the short and skinney kid so i get call names and all that stuff

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,197 posts
Herald

Well, I have never actually been teased that badly or even at all before, but I guess people just make predictions and assumptions about how you are, just from dumb streotypes. It's streotypes that cause people to judge you before actually knowing you.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Don't let people like that get to you. Because someone is a little overweight, or a little too skinny, is not a good reason to make fun of someone. Maybe a little friendly joking from some buddies might be acceptable, but the truth is there are alot of jerks out there. Like I said before, don't let them get to you.

Crunk88
Crunk88
123 posts
Nomad

In most cases being over weight is genetic and is your parents fault, just asmuch as being skinny. So if you see a really tall or buff person, its in their ginetics, most likely their whole family was born like that. Also when yur skinny u ussually gain alot of weight in there 20s, except larger people seem to keep putting it on.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Crunk is right, at least about whether or not you are a little overweight or skinny; that usually isn't your fault. And some people (some Irish men, perhaps) are naturally a little larger in stature that others. However, being in good physical shape depends on how much you work-out, exercise, etc, so I cannot feel bad for people who don't even try to get into shape, but still complain.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Well, yes and no to a lot of things here- between you guys, most of the major stuff has been at least alluded to.

* Yes, stereotypes do exist and are still prevalent today- it's just that they're now more the subject of debate in this day and age. Historically speaking, it used to be desirable to have a bit (or a lot) extra, because it was a sign that one was prosperous enough not to have to worry about putting food on the table. Also, life expectancy was lower then so things like cardiovascular disease were hardly as much of an issue as they are today. It was only when some societies became more prosperous such that food was no longer such a concern, that the tides began to change. Now it carries a moral weight which is often unjustified.

* The bottom line is this: Weight gain/loss is dictated solely by how much energy you put in versus how much you put out (not accounting for water retention).

* However, this is hardly as simple as it sounds! There are lots of factors influencing how much one puts in, and how much one puts out. It comes down to genetics, metabolism, your tendencies (are you a fidgeter? Are you naturally hyperactive?)

* This is not to say that everybody is the victim of the vicissitudes of biological fate. To varying degrees (this is important), people can generally manage their states, both by adapting to it and changing it- sometimes it changes by themselves (commonly kids somehow magically lose the 'uppy fat' when they hit puberty or adulthood- this happened to me). Unless, for example, you have something like Prader-Willis syndrome, in which you have no control over your appetite because one of the main chemicals that regulates it no longer works.

* Still, in general it doesn't hurt to be fit, no matter your weight status.

opentotruth
opentotruth
473 posts
Peasant

im a pretty skinny guy but i have some friends who got picked on for being overwight and i got into some fights defending them

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Well. I am sometimes teased at school for the way that I look and act.
The main problem that people have with my looks is that I have a slightly large nose...so people make fun of that.

Then there is the problem with people calling me gay. Although, there is no problem with being gay, I am not.

They say that I act gay....but what is acting gay???
Look at Big Brother AUS 2007. There were two gay guys put on in the series. One was stereotypically gay, and acted differently. The other, you wouldn't even know that they were gay...
Which one is really gay? Well, they both are, they just act differently.

So why do people call me gay?
Personally I think that it is disgusting and it says in the bible not to be...but that is my opinion.

Overall, I think that stereotypes are ruining our lives.

Just remember, it isn't what other people think, it is what you think...

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

To clarify this for other people (just in case), I presume *** here means "homosexual".

However *** nowadays is so commonly used as a derogatory term without respect to homosexuality itself, that it no longer seems connected to its origins. And yes, for better or for worse, "being ***" isn't necessarily linked to behavior, and vice-versa.

Stereotypes are often a distorted form of generalisation, also often an uncritical one. But yeah, we tend to make generalisations because that's the way we think.

We can make the world a better place by continually challenging the bases and the implications of these generalisations so that people might become more aware in general.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Re: Original post

It is human nature to judge by appearance. There are just few that are aware of this and make a conscious effort not to. Just as many have said in this topic, don't let those people get you down. There are people who want to succeed and will and there are those who want to bring others down because of their own unhappiness. Stay strong, do what you need to do. Remember that only YOU can make yourself happy, don't depend on others, ever.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

^While I generally agree with that, it's still in your best health interests to drop the extra pounds. Not only will it remove the problem you're complaining about but it will allow you to lead a longer life. Overweight people tend to have much more back problems and are, obviously, at a greater risk of heart attack.
..That being said, I'm pretty fat myself.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Oh yes, that is true Mega. I was only speaking in the judging through our eyes notion he was bringing up.

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

Wow I wounder what this world wants! I mean people make fun of overweight people calling them "fat".
And they make fun of skinny people too! They say things like "toothpick", Do they all expect themselves to be the &quoterfect" ones. To keep thinking about this, it makes me relise how much the world progressed with tecnolgey but not in social and humanities.
Us humans always want more! We need better and more things.

Showing 1-15 of 16