ForumsWEPRBlack holes

34 9849
XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

I'm not totally sure, but I think I have the right spot to post this.

I want to see what you all think of what actually happens in a black hole, or just what you know about them. I read one book that explained a black hole as a stretching of space as it gets bigger and it's gravity pulls everything in. It also said that in the black hole, you can actually get to other dimensions! That last part I don't believe, but i want to see what you guys have to say.

• 34 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Hm, where did that come from? That source seems to be a little less recent.

Also, I completely missed Ricador's post from a coupla days back:

If that is so then couldn't we create them at will and possibly learn more about them since at this point we are virtually clueless?

I believe this is already happening- though not quite in the same manner as one might thing. More like I think a few years ago I read an article about scientists playing with this plasma-liquid that created a light vortex, behaving like a black hole of sorts...

...if anybody knows anything on this topic I'd be grateful.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

We may experience a black hole yet, when the Large Hadron Collider is finished in Europe. Eep!

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Nah, that's just a particle accelerator. But man, 12 miles of particle accelerator! I think the estimates are that they will be able to accelerate particles at 97% light speed, which if that's correct would be really sweet.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

I thought I heard that the particle accelerator could create mini black hole, due to the possibility of matter and antimatter coalescing, or the energy of collision condensing or something... and duh, I know its an accelerator, sheesh

Showing 31-34 of 34