Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

Flash game test - BIG PROJECT

Posted Jun 7, '11 at 8:20pm

LennonTheMage

LennonTheMage

56 posts

As a developer you need to learn to take criticism and move on. I noticed you weren't taking some of the negative comments very well.

For Example:
Yes, madman didn't necessarily use "constructive criticism", but he was honest about it and didn't put it into harsh words.

Making a comment like yours is fairly rude in itself and shows you can't take criticism.

Back to the game:

I thought it was fairly well made for your first project. One of the things I noticed you should change is how the camera works. It shouldn't be a completely different area and should scroll(follow the character) so that when you jump higher it doesn't just cut to the next scene.

Goodjob though.

Posted Jun 14, '11 at 7:43pm

plasmafish

plasmafish

260 posts

Lennon, that was two years ago. I take criticism but I was realizing how young and undereducated some of these commenters are. Well it's the internet, what did I expect?

But back to the game, yes I have solved the camera problem in another one of my games but did not implement it in Super Mitchio. Thanks for the input though.

Posted Sep 16, '11 at 11:11am

plasmafish

plasmafish

260 posts

Going to be finishing this game up sometime soon, any more input is greatly appreciated!

Posted Sep 18, '11 at 6:14am

ExplosionsHurt

ExplosionsHurt

262 posts

Pretty decent so far, but it feels like it needs a layer of extra polish. You need to make the character designs tie in to a common aesthetic. Right now all the art is completely different and it is very jarring.

Actual shooting action is good though. You're on the right track; keep going!

Posted Sep 20, '11 at 12:34am

ExplosionsHurt

ExplosionsHurt

262 posts

OK, I just had a look at the making of animation:

and it is brilliant. Your "making of" animation is brilliant.

It's polished. It's got good animations. It has a simple and consistant aesethetic.

Posted Sep 23, '11 at 4:56am

plasmafish

plasmafish

260 posts

Explosionshurt,
Thanks for the input! I know I didn't tie the theme together with the character, enemies, and backgrounds, but I was planning on doing that with a storyline of some sort. I just haven't been working on that aspect of the game yet, I was focusing more on the programming but I believe I can tie it together with a wacky story of some sort.

The making of animation was created by Flashvillage and is a template that I filled with my content and modified slightly. I think it looks very fluid also and it took less than 6 hours to finish!

Posted Oct 2, '11 at 7:17pm

plasmafish

plasmafish

260 posts

Does someone want to help me develop a storyboard for this game? The programming is done, I just need to develop a storyboard.

Posted Dec 11, '11 at 2:15pm

LucasDaLegend

LucasDaLegend

1,088 posts

I like it a lot but the game kept constantly locking me in 'Stickie Keys' which completely ruined the game. That means that i am sorry to say that i can only give it a 5/10. To perhaps prevent 'Stickie Keys' from occuring, then try adding in other controls. Preferably W=^ D=> A=< S=..down

Posted Jan 2, '12 at 9:18pm

plasmafish

plasmafish

260 posts

Lucas, I am unsure if you tried WSAD as controls. They have been programmed in there for quite some time now but I'm assuming that some system has problems with WSAD for controls. I know there is a glitch with the super mushroom and using WSAD to get the boosted speed, but I am unaware of any others.

I don't know if you were pressing SHIFT/CTRL/etc to toggle sticky keys but a point I have to make is that you can change the sticky key settings which is what I had to do for flash gaming. You have the option to turn off sticky keys which is a good choice unless you specifically use that shortcut (not many do). Do a search for "turn off sticky keys" on your favorite search engine, that may help.

Posted Apr 18, '12 at 1:08am

plasmafish

plasmafish

260 posts

Any more input?

Reply to Flash game test - BIG PROJECT

You must be logged in to post a reply!