ForumsProgramming ForumFlash game test - BIG PROJECT

173 99913
plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

I worked on this game for quite some time. Probably a good 20-30 days of work on it. This is my first ever large scale game and has a functioning high score system by rankz.armorbot. (went down long time ago)

I didn't perfect everything yet but I am working on it so criticism is welcome. I am more worried right now about coding problems and glitches than making the jumping and collision detection perfect.

The game can be found here:
Super Mitchio

I also used a template from flashvillage.com to create a little movie about the making of the flash game and what goes into creating something like this.

The movie explaining the making of the game can be found here:
Making of Super Mitchio

If you get to check it out, let me know what you think.

• 173 Replies
jkmadman1
jkmadman1
1,066 posts
Nomad

No offense or nothin' but it is not that good.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

jkmadman, sorry but I have been designing since you were 2 years old. I doubt you have enough knowledge to even comprehend what it takes to make a flash game from scratch.

<sarcasm>From your profile it seems like your well liked around here... </sarcasm>

Riou1231
Riou1231
4,825 posts
Peasant

It's actually pretty good, the concept of guns was interesting as well. But it's pretty hard to beat the boss.

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

I have to say it's pretty good for your first, :P

People think it might be easy but they should try doing it themselves..

AlphaJmon
AlphaJmon
19 posts
Farmer

boss was hard. Great for a first game. maybe you could take out the higher area for some places. good game

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Riou, thanks! The gun was an easy idea to implement, I just wanted to keep it away from the original Super Mario style. But yes, the boss is supposed to be a challenge in the first level right now. The second level boss is too easy I believe.

Sourwhatup, thanks! Yeah it took me a very long time to put together this game from the original tutorial from kirupa. It got to the point where I am reverse engineering the original code to manipulate it to do what I want.

AlphaJmon, thanks!, I spent a lot of time on programming this game. Yes, with the higher area I can go as high as I want with the game. That was a feature I had to program in myself. My only limitation is the size of the background picture I pick for the levels. I plan on doing a multiroom castle in the future which would be like what you are talking about.

Axel
Axel
475 posts
Nomad

Nice. I make games too, so I understand how hard it it to make a game.
Its good, but could be easyer.
You could hide the HP bars of the boss. Yeah. Or make the boss show the HP bars, so it won't come on til the boss.

9/10

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Axel, thanks for the input! I could make it easier but that would mean I would have to make the game longer. I think that's a good idea having the movie clips for the health above the bosses themselves. I think I might actually do that in my next revision.

Green12324
Green12324
4,099 posts
Peasant

The game is alright, but there's a lot of room for improvement. One thing I noticed is that when I jump and land on a block, my character doesn't stop exactly at the top of the block. Another thing I would like to see is a more interesting visual when you shoot an enemy; at least have them fly back or something. I was a bit surprised when the enemy just sort of fell. Also, it seemed to take a few seconds for them to actually die after I had shot them.

Those were the main things I noticed, but I'm sure there's more that could be improved. It's a good start though.

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Sourwhatup, thanks! Yeah it took me a very long time to put together this game from the original tutorial from kirupa. It got to the point where I am reverse engineering the original code to manipulate it to do what I want.

That's pretty cool, was it difficult? Also I've always wondered in trying to do this, but I'd probably fail making your computer explode from the failure I would do xD
plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Green, thanks! I am aware of the landing problem and that is a glitch from the original programming of the engine. It would require a work around to fix the landing errors, but the death animation of the enemies is easy to fix. I can probably fix that by speeding up the animation for the death of the enemy.

Sour, yes it takes a lot of time to reverse engineer a game engine. It takes a lot of experimenting to figure out how to accomplish what you want to do and it may be better to just write your own engine. In my case I had taken a simple tutorial and turned it into a full game by adding pieces in and rewriting the original code. It wasn't hard for me but it would take a less experienced designer a long time to figure out some of the workings of the engine. One of the most useful things I had done for my game was create a "debug mode" where I could see all the variables that I was trying to manipulate in real time and I was able to effectively debug my game to figure out where my problems were coming from. When reverse engineering a game engine you can be sure to run into all types of problems that can take days to figure out. If you have any questions I will point you in the right direction depending on which type of game you are making.

loken2rocks
loken2rocks
84 posts
Nomad

im playing super mitcho its fun

loken2rocks
loken2rocks
84 posts
Nomad

and ur talent for making super mitcho is good the last boss is hard!! its like mario but u can shoot weps lol kool game

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Loken2, thanks! I saw your comment on the page and put it up. I haven't worked on this game in a while so I don't know when I will get back to finishing it but it could be any day now. I will post back here when I complete the third level and the final fight. Instead of doing more than 3 levels I decided to do a final fight with multiple bosses in an area after completing the third level and finishing all the programming glitches.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Oh and FYI everyone, the high score system is down. Armor games has decided to pull armor bots free ranking system for flash games.

I don't know why they would do this but they did.

Showing 16-30 of 173