Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

Flash game test - BIG PROJECT

Posted Dec 6, '09 at 2:17am

sourwhatup2

sourwhatup2

3,794 posts

I have to say it's pretty good for your first, :P

People think it might be easy but they should try doing it themselves..

Posted Dec 6, '09 at 9:30pm

AlphaJmon

AlphaJmon

19 posts

boss was hard. Great for a first game. maybe you could take out the higher area for some places. good game

Posted Dec 8, '09 at 10:49pm

plasmafish

plasmafish

260 posts

Riou, thanks! The gun was an easy idea to implement, I just wanted to keep it away from the original Super Mario style. But yes, the boss is supposed to be a challenge in the first level right now. The second level boss is too easy I believe.

Sourwhatup, thanks! Yeah it took me a very long time to put together this game from the original tutorial from kirupa. It got to the point where I am reverse engineering the original code to manipulate it to do what I want.

AlphaJmon, thanks!, I spent a lot of time on programming this game. Yes, with the higher area I can go as high as I want with the game. That was a feature I had to program in myself. My only limitation is the size of the background picture I pick for the levels. I plan on doing a multiroom castle in the future which would be like what you are talking about.

Posted Dec 13, '09 at 9:46pm

Axel

Axel

498 posts

Nice. I make games too, so I understand how hard it it to make a game.
Its good, but could be easyer.
You could hide the HP bars of the boss. Yeah. Or make the boss show the HP bars, so it won't come on til the boss.

9/10

Posted Dec 24, '09 at 3:54pm

plasmafish

plasmafish

260 posts

Axel, thanks for the input! I could make it easier but that would mean I would have to make the game longer. I think that's a good idea having the movie clips for the health above the bosses themselves. I think I might actually do that in my next revision.

Posted Dec 24, '09 at 4:32pm

Green12324

Green12324

4,244 posts

The game is alright, but there's a lot of room for improvement. One thing I noticed is that when I jump and land on a block, my character doesn't stop exactly at the top of the block. Another thing I would like to see is a more interesting visual when you shoot an enemy; at least have them fly back or something. I was a bit surprised when the enemy just sort of fell. Also, it seemed to take a few seconds for them to actually die after I had shot them.

Those were the main things I noticed, but I'm sure there's more that could be improved. It's a good start though.

Posted Dec 24, '09 at 5:56pm

sourwhatup2

sourwhatup2

3,794 posts

Sourwhatup, thanks! Yeah it took me a very long time to put together this game from the original tutorial from kirupa. It got to the point where I am reverse engineering the original code to manipulate it to do what I want.

That's pretty cool, was it difficult? Also I've always wondered in trying to do this, but I'd probably fail making your computer explode from the failure I would do xD

Posted Dec 24, '09 at 11:59pm

plasmafish

plasmafish

260 posts

Green, thanks! I am aware of the landing problem and that is a glitch from the original programming of the engine. It would require a work around to fix the landing errors, but the death animation of the enemies is easy to fix. I can probably fix that by speeding up the animation for the death of the enemy.

Sour, yes it takes a lot of time to reverse engineer a game engine. It takes a lot of experimenting to figure out how to accomplish what you want to do and it may be better to just write your own engine. In my case I had taken a simple tutorial and turned it into a full game by adding pieces in and rewriting the original code. It wasn't hard for me but it would take a less experienced designer a long time to figure out some of the workings of the engine. One of the most useful things I had done for my game was create a "debug mode" where I could see all the variables that I was trying to manipulate in real time and I was able to effectively debug my game to figure out where my problems were coming from. When reverse engineering a game engine you can be sure to run into all types of problems that can take days to figure out. If you have any questions I will point you in the right direction depending on which type of game you are making.

Posted Dec 27, '09 at 11:02pm

loken2rocks

loken2rocks

85 posts

im playing super mitcho its fun

Posted Dec 27, '09 at 11:08pm

loken2rocks

loken2rocks

85 posts

and ur talent for making super mitcho is good the last boss is hard!! its like mario but u can shoot weps lol kool game

Reply to Flash game test - BIG PROJECT

You must be logged in to post a reply!