ForumsProgramming ForumFlash game test - BIG PROJECT

173 99896
plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

I worked on this game for quite some time. Probably a good 20-30 days of work on it. This is my first ever large scale game and has a functioning high score system by rankz.armorbot. (went down long time ago)

I didn't perfect everything yet but I am working on it so criticism is welcome. I am more worried right now about coding problems and glitches than making the jumping and collision detection perfect.

The game can be found here:
Super Mitchio

I also used a template from flashvillage.com to create a little movie about the making of the flash game and what goes into creating something like this.

The movie explaining the making of the game can be found here:
Making of Super Mitchio

If you get to check it out, let me know what you think.

• 173 Replies
rjbman
rjbman
215 posts
Nomad

Yeah it was the second thing. Alright though it's only a suggestion. Good luck with your game.

rjbman
rjbman
215 posts
Nomad

xdxddx

dude....you joined just so you could add spam? congrats you're that guy.

Plasma any clue when you might have a finished copy? Be cool playing it on AG.
gluesy
gluesy
65 posts
Nomad

And yes I'd like to see this on AG.

To be honest I dont think this will be an actual game on AG. Mainly becouse it features ripped mario sprites and music which are copyrighted material.
rjbman
rjbman
215 posts
Nomad

erm.... he could change em? if he wanted to. Then it wouldn't be.

gluesy
gluesy
65 posts
Nomad

erm.... he could change em? if he wanted to. Then it wouldn't be.

True, he could

I think it would be better without the mario sprites
rjbman
rjbman
215 posts
Nomad

Yeah, but (and Im totally guessing here) I think he did it because he wanted some flash experience, not for publication.

gluesy
gluesy
65 posts
Nomad

I think Its good enough to be published somewhere and it would be a shame to see all that work go to waste. Even if you just put some mochiads in it and then put it up for distribution you have nothing to lose.

PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

Finally got around to playing your game plasma... looks quite promising! Although I'm on a laptop right now and it's a bit slow, it looks as though it's quite playable! And if you set it up more as a framework than a fixed game, you could really easily add / remove levels, artwork, etc... I'm keeping my eye on this one

Gamemaster1494
Gamemaster1494
63 posts
Nomad

You know. Really good job and idea. I love shooting rather than jumping on their heads. Nice touch. However, you should recalculate the blocks. I fall off them when i shouldn't. Also, I noticed that you can walk throgh pipes when walking to the left. You should fix that. It is a good game. Keep up the hard work. You may also want to up a bit on the thing that checks to see if an enemy has been shot. I shot a gomba, and it killed me! xD Also, for third level, change the music please.... xD Good game! 8/10. It's gonna be oo/1 when a bit more is done to it. Oh! One more thing. You should have a life system. Only one mistake is kinda hard. great job.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Pixel, thanks for the input!

Gamemaster, thanks for the kind words. I know there are certain flaws in the game but I am not worried about it right now.

Marcellino
Marcellino
5 posts
Nomad

Here're my two cents:

Cent One: There are some definite clutter issues with the interface and HUD, especially on the instructions screen. Try presenting less, more concise information, and not all at once. The initial player response to a page full of text is, "I ain't readin' all this!" It's sad, but true.

Cent Two: In the future, refrain from using anything but original characters and artwork, simply because you're limiting yourself as an artist. Even if you can't draw worth crap, an original character who's just a block with eyes is 100 times more interesting that Mario. Since everyone knows how Mario games work, that builds up some expectation in your player, but since the game acts (relatively) nothing like a Mario game, there is some visual and operational discord. When I play a game that has that completely original feel, even if it's still standard platforming mechanics, I find myself more intrigued, and thereby more willing to play.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Marcellino, the game instructions are only there in case you need them. If you play the game expecting it to be like mario then so be it.

I'm not an artist, I am a developer. If I spent time doing original art then I would have wasted too much time that could have been spent coding. I picked mario because I think he is a cool character and no other reason.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

I have went through all the suggestions and fixed most of the problems in my FLA. The newest version is not uploaded yet because I am still finalizing parts of it, but before I finish it I was wondering if anyone had more input?

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Good job at the coding for the first time. But one year for one project is a long time, I would've lost interest by then. Are you working on this really casually?

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

ProfessorOak,
Thanks! Yes I am working on this game extremely casually. It will be finished soon but I am making sure I don't release a "finished" game that needs a lot of work still. I am also still mad that armorgames took down their armorbots high score system.

Showing 46-60 of 173