Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

Flash game test - BIG PROJECT

Posted Apr 22, '10 at 11:16pm

plasmafish

plasmafish

260 posts

Marcellino, the game instructions are only there in case you need them. If you play the game expecting it to be like mario then so be it.

I'm not an artist, I am a developer. If I spent time doing original art then I would have wasted too much time that could have been spent coding. I picked mario because I think he is a cool character and no other reason.

Posted Sep 7, '10 at 10:19am

plasmafish

plasmafish

260 posts

I have went through all the suggestions and fixed most of the problems in my FLA. The newest version is not uploaded yet because I am still finalizing parts of it, but before I finish it I was wondering if anyone had more input?

Posted Sep 7, '10 at 12:08pm

ProfessorOak

ProfessorOak

1,016 posts

Good job at the coding for the first time. But one year for one project is a long time, I would've lost interest by then. Are you working on this really casually?

Posted Sep 7, '10 at 11:13pm

plasmafish

plasmafish

260 posts

ProfessorOak,
Thanks! Yes I am working on this game extremely casually. It will be finished soon but I am making sure I don't release a "finished" game that needs a lot of work still. I am also still mad that armorgames took down their armorbots high score system.

Posted Sep 8, '10 at 1:51am

MRWalker82

MRWalker82

4,200 posts

Just found your game, quite good, especially for a first go at a flash game. I didn't notice anything that hasn't already been pointed out, such as the collision detection, but I'm not going to reiterate what's already been pointed out. Just wanted to say good work and I'm looking forward to seeing you get a finished project and hopefully start making more games.

Posted Sep 10, '10 at 2:24am

plasmafish

plasmafish

260 posts

MRWalker,
Thanks! I have uploaded a new version with a bunch of improvements. Let me know what you think.

Improvements:
1. I tried to fix the collision detection as good as I could for now. Fixed for the character and bullets.

2. I made the easy difficulty have the falling jump with the medium and hard difficulty omitting it. The standard difficulty is now medium instead of easy in order to take the falling jump away from the start of the game. An easier difficulty can be selected upon resetting or a page reload.

3. Added path to third level on the second level. This means that you can make it to the third level in the game without ever defeating an enemy or boss.

4. Enter or space can now be used to start the game and retry. No use of the mouse is required once the flash been clicked on.

5. Removed information about falling jump in the instructions.

6. I fixed the pipe glitch in the third level and added the ability to buy super mushrooms in the third and fourth level. Walking to the left through pipes had to be kept in case an enemies coins lands in front of the pipe (meaning no way to get to it).

7. Populated third level with more enemies and items, still haven't created the bosses for this level yet.

8. Added a path to the fourth level at the end of the third level.

P.S. Fourth level has not been constructed, once I finish the bosses for the third level and work out all the fine details then the fourth level will be created.

Posted Sep 10, '10 at 2:26am

plasmafish

plasmafish

260 posts

Oh, and I replaced the comments system I had on the page due to database malfunctions.

Posted Sep 13, '10 at 3:00pm

plasmafish

plasmafish

260 posts

Super Mitchio

Guys, let me know if everything is working properly. The new version is uploaded with 10 fold improvement on collision detection.

Posted Sep 13, '10 at 5:41pm

MRWalker82

MRWalker82

4,200 posts

Much of the collision is improved, but some is still off. Sometimes when jumping on top of the larger ? blocks it only detects at the middle of the block, sometimes at the top, and the small ? blocks seem to have a very small window for collision, and some not at all.

Also, in regards to the coins, instead of leaving it so we can walk through the pipes why not add collision detection to the coins so that they would bounce off the sides of the pipes and not get trapped? I understand that such things are hard to code for, but in a polished and finished work they would make the game feel much more professional.

Other than that, everything else seems to be working just fine, and I'm eagerly awaiting a boss for the 3rd level so I can kick his butt, and seeing what the 4th level is, because the falling blue screen just wasn't very entertaining....

Posted Sep 20, '10 at 2:09pm

Ruffnekk

Ruffnekk

1 post

I don't get how people give it 8 out of 10, sorry. The game isn't original just because you don't have to jump on the enemies :S Seriously, it's not so hard to think of an old-school platformer with some of your own characters. If you did that then the game would have attracted me more, and probably others as well, but right now it feels like a badly done Super Mario spin-off. No offence, I appreciate the effort and I know how much work goes into a game, but this just doesn't cut it for me.

Reply to Flash game test - BIG PROJECT

You must be logged in to post a reply!