ForumsProgramming ForumFlash game test - BIG PROJECT

173 99920
plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

I worked on this game for quite some time. Probably a good 20-30 days of work on it. This is my first ever large scale game and has a functioning high score system by rankz.armorbot. (went down long time ago)

I didn't perfect everything yet but I am working on it so criticism is welcome. I am more worried right now about coding problems and glitches than making the jumping and collision detection perfect.

The game can be found here:
Super Mitchio

I also used a template from flashvillage.com to create a little movie about the making of the flash game and what goes into creating something like this.

The movie explaining the making of the game can be found here:
Making of Super Mitchio

If you get to check it out, let me know what you think.

• 173 Replies
plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Xinito, thanks. I will be working on the character.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

A lot of you were complaining about the character so I uploaded a new version with updates.

Improvements:

1. Updated character making him look stronger and more proportioned to the game.

2. Fixed problem resulting from typing a space in your player name for high score submission. The game would restart the level and now only "Enter" will restart the level.

3. Added a message for when time runs out.

4. Added random message on the disclaimer and title screen which gives hints/general information.

5. Added "your rank" directly to the credits screen credits so you cannot miss it.

That's about all I had time to work out for this update. Let me know how the modified character looks and if there are any bugs/glitches that need to be fixed. Thanks everyone!

Super Mitchio

simo9300
simo9300
1 posts
Nomad

I like it. I think there's a bit much stuff on screen and the goal needs to be a little clearer, but otherwise good.

However, I don't understand why you came to armorgames to show off your game, unless you enjoy hearing that you game is boring an unfun and not getting any constructive criticism. For example: "gameplay is a bit bad" "Mario looks a bit worser". I lol'd.

I think you should only show the boss health when in a boss fight.

I'd also suggest adding mochiads, but I think the game screen is too small.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Simo, thanks for the input! I went ahead and edited my test version to have the boss health appear only when you are near that boss. I will upload it later this week.

I came to the armor games forum because I was using the free high score system provided by armor games for my original version. The free high score system was taken down and I replaced it with Mochi leaderboads. Otherwise I'm considering mochiads, but I would like to refine the game further before doing that.

firelord12
firelord12
2 posts
Nomad

[b][i][url=http://facebook.com]http://facebook.com[quote]

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

Such a crazy game. But fun.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Explosions, thanks!

Calvin, thanks but I personally like Super Mario.

I just uploaded my newest version. The screen is less cluttered now that the boss healths are only visible when near the bosses. The carrot enemies now need to be activated before they can be killed, the animation will explain it.

Improvements:

1. Removed boss healths so they are only visible when near that particular boss.

2. Carrot enemies now come out of the ground when the player gets within close proximity. If they are not activated, they will stay in the ground.

3. Fixed preloader so it loads as early as possible in the loading sequence.

4. Rearranged a couple things on the credits screen.

5. Cleaned up boss death animations (shuriken/bullet remove).

6. Made it possible to fire the shuriken while jumping and holding directional buttons.

7. Fixed glitch when using developer mode which would cause the level to revert to the previous level upon restarting.

I might be changing the first and second level music in my next version, stay tuned!

Super Mitchio

zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

Fun. Crazy. Makes me mad x)

kingjac11
kingjac11
2,597 posts
Nomad

Ok but i do like super mario better.The guns are awesome

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Zonic, thanks!

Kingjac, thanks! Have you found the shuriken yet?

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

I haven't had much time to play this yet, but just playing up to the first boss on the second level, I'm quite impressed with this being your first game and you developing it by yourself, granted it's based on Nintendo games in a way, but so was super mafia bros and I have to wonder how many people whined about it being a ripoff. Regardless I like where your going with this, and it's definitely better then my first flash game which was just a simple avoider game. Regardless this kind of makes me want to get back into developing flash games now, and honestly I'm ok with the classic music, especially the sounds from Legend of Zelda which I wasn't quite expecting. Anyways great game thus far, it still feels a little unpolished, and all but that is to be expected for someone's first game much of the time.

DaoGao
DaoGao
220 posts
Nomad

Urgh, really bad game.

Oplosthee
Oplosthee
25 posts
Nomad

There needs to be a tutorial and something that says what direction to go, How can we reach level 2 if we dont know how to?

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Crimson, thanks a lot for the input! I hope you like the rest of the game when you get around to testing it. Glad you like the sound effects and music, for now I think I will keep most of them how they are.

Fantasy, yes, practice makes perfect. The enemies are a little easy to avoid in the game but if you don't know where they are you are prone to running into them if you aren't shooting.

Opslos, I think if I had any more directions the game would be way too easy. You can reach level two by going to the left castle or the right castle in the first level. Once you reach the castle you run into the entrance and advance. From the second level on, going to the right will lead you in the right direction.

slashflame
slashflame
9 posts
Nomad

It's...not terrible. The mechanics seemed a little strange, such as being able to jump up through solid blocks, and the graphics aren't fantastic, but overall a good start for a game. I also found it weird to shoot with the down arrow on top of a pipe, which would just suck me down rather than shoot. Also the guy was a bit big, and the goal of the game was somewhat unclear. Perhaps integrate the intro into the actual game? Anyway not bad, but could use a ton of work.

Showing 106-120 of 173