ForumsProgramming ForumFlash game test - BIG PROJECT

173 99882
plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

I worked on this game for quite some time. Probably a good 20-30 days of work on it. This is my first ever large scale game and has a functioning high score system by rankz.armorbot. (went down long time ago)

I didn't perfect everything yet but I am working on it so criticism is welcome. I am more worried right now about coding problems and glitches than making the jumping and collision detection perfect.

The game can be found here:
Super Mitchio

I also used a template from flashvillage.com to create a little movie about the making of the flash game and what goes into creating something like this.

The movie explaining the making of the game can be found here:
Making of Super Mitchio

If you get to check it out, let me know what you think.

• 173 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Well.... The Start of a really good game. The character needs to look a little better, it doesn't fit in with the rest of the game. The music can use a couple of final Tweaks, then it would be Awesome! The graphics are pretty good but i wouldn't copy Nintendo too much, make sure and give Nintendo credit for the Question mark boxes, goombas, turtles. The game has a really good concept. The gameplay is really bad. The way the guy jumps and acts isn't very comfortable to play with. Just needs a few tweaks here and there!
This game has a lot of potential.

Ratings:

Graphics: 9/10

Sound: 5/10

Gameplay: 3/10

Overall: 6/10

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Xeano, thanks! The disclaimer you have to click to start the game and the ending credits screen gives credit to Nintendo. Would you mind giving your input on the tweaks required to make the character more "comfortable"?

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

I re-uploaded fixing a couple problems I found while playing the new version.

Improvements:

1. Some of the new enemies I added made it near impossible to complete without killing an enemy. I re-positioned them to make it possible to go through all the levels without killing an enemy. There was also a glitch which you could kill all the bosses but none of the smaller enemies and you would still get the extreme bonus.

2. Fixed depth arrangement of large ? blocks, fixed a couple ground spots in the first and second level.

3. Repositioned a couple things on the credits screen.

4. Fixed score glitch with the level select.

That's pretty much what got fixed in todays version, let me know if everything checks out.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

I changed most of the enemies and fixed a couple more problems that arose from the modifications that were done.

Improvements:

1. Changed the goomba and koopa enemies in the first three levels by adding three new enemies. Also changed the level 2 boss.

2. Added "game resuming in" help text for prompts when items are first picked up. The "Enter" button can also be used to skip them.

3. Added a DANGER message alerting the character where the unseen bosses are.

4. Changed blood colors for different enemies.

5. Fixed sound bug on credits screen.

Check it out, the original enemies that were in the game for over 2 years are now changed. I don't know if I will keep them the way they are now, but they are definitely better than what I had before.

Super Mitchio

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

I noticed that you can't go left + shoot + jump at the same time. strangely, this happens in Exit Path too o.o but probably its just that an else instead of an if or something.
also, in the game over screen the spacebar make you restart, but also if you're typing :P so you can't use a name with a space.
apart for that, the game have improved a lot in my opinion. the only thing i dont like very much is the character.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Gab, thanks for the input! I already fixed the spacebar glitch you mentioned in my test version since reading your post and am looking to fix the left+shoot+jump glitch. I am wondering if you are talking about when you have the gun or the shuriken for the left+shoot+jump glitch?

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

it's with the gun, I haven't found the shuriken yet ^^
for example, if I'm holding left and space, up don't work, if I'm holding up and space left don't work, and so on.

kingjac11
kingjac11
2,597 posts
Nomad

This game is cool I love being a ninja,Can't wait till it's done.

Graphics:Good
Sound:Ok
Fun:Fun

Overrall:Good

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

I noticed that the glitch happens only using the arrow keys, it's fine with wasd.

domecraft
domecraft
333 posts
Nomad

really bad ripoff of mario .

sasquatchcarrot
sasquatchcarrot
189 posts
Nomad

It is not a very bad ripoff of mario, but a good game. And if it was a ripoff of mario it would be a good one ~.~... nice game.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Gab thanks for the quick response! I couldn't reproduce the shooting glitch using the gun with WSAD or the arrow keys but I did find a shooting glitch like you mentioned with the shuriken that I will be fixing. I tried holding left(A and left arrow), space, and pressing jump and I didn't stop shooting the whole time while I tried. I also tried holding A, Left Arrow, Space, and pressing jump and that also worked. I will try some more to see if I can reproduce what's happening with the gun on your end.

Kingjac, thanks for the support! It will be finished soon so stay tuned!

Domecraft, the point of this project was not to create awesome graphics, it was a programming project and I am amazed that it's come this far.

Sasquatch, thanks! I hope you have fun playing it, IMO my favorite levels are the third and fourth levels. The fourth level strays away from the mario theme completely.

took95
took95
438 posts
Nomad

kk, plasma this still proly needs work, but i like it, i think it would be cooler ifyou threw in more games, this is mario, but maybe make sonic an enemy or throw in kirby:P, but i like it, the graphics are ehh, but awesome! i hope it keeps updating and i hope that you have a great time making it!

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Took, thanks! So you think I should put in different enemies along with mario and luigi?

Xinito
Xinito
109 posts
Nomad

Good game but I don't like the Character

Showing 91-105 of 173