ForumsProgramming ForumHow to make a Flash game for free legally

43 15527
neodeltai
neodeltai
3 posts
Nomad

I've seen a few hundred posts asking how to make a game, and no responses showing how to do it for free, so I'll help out anyone who seriously wants to program a game in Actionscript, and not spend $699 on Flash CS3.

1) Download the Flex 3 SDK from Adobe's website. This includes the mxmlc.exe compiler to create SWF files. Cost: $0.00

2) Download the latest version of FlashDevelop. It'll really help with writing actionscript, organizing files, and using mxmlc.exe, the SWF compiler included in the Flex 3 SDK. Cost: $0.00

3) Read up on programming in Actionscript 3.0 (or 2.0 if you want). Senocular has a great intro to using mxmlc.exe and as3 here.

The downside? You have to import all your graphics, or draw things in code.

Hope this helps people get started.

• 43 Replies
gman1000
gman1000
977 posts
Nomad

could I use these programs for making flash movies?

DarkArmor
DarkArmor
38 posts
Nomad

those of you who are saying that this is the wrong way of doing things and i should just get the 700 dollar CS3 thing, wow. I dont have that kind of money, I need that for food.

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Not having the money doesn't mean you should do things wrong. Just cause you can't afford a plane, do you go out and try and jump off a cliff in a cardboard plane? No.

So do flash right or don't at all.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

do you go out and try and jump off a cliff in a cardboard plane? No.

Maybe. But I do say you got a point. If you want people to like your flash, then do it right, at all costs. Well, almost all.
Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Maybe

Finally someone! Meet you at the cliff in an hour?
flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

Meet you at the cliff in an hour?

What I want to know, is what cliff? I've already made my Cardboard airplane. :P
shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

i'm there already.been waiting for an hour

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

I got a question, if you create the file in an illegal version of flash, buy the legal version and save it, will it still be marked as illegal?

And if you were to draw the graphics on an illegal version of Corel Draw, would they also be marked as illegal on your flash movie?

mattt15
mattt15
1,669 posts
Nomad

Is it easy to create a game or is it hard to create a game like in www.yoyogames.com

mattt15
mattt15
1,669 posts
Nomad

What is the adobe link???
www.??????????.com

jpx111
jpx111
264 posts
Nomad

@matt15: it is

www.adobe.com

helloiambored
helloiambored
76 posts
Nomad

i draw stickman stuff might sa well make a stickman game and live in fame :} yayyayayay
i dunno wat to do with the game this website dont get many hits on the stickman games and crazy monkey games dont let u submit :{

99percentcomplete
99percentcomplete
390 posts
Nomad

What about CQC, that was pretty popular.

Showing 31-43 of 43