ForumsWEPRThe Religion of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

10 5124
steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

Recently I have heard of a religion called The Flying Spaghetti Monster, I heard that it is also called pastapharianism. I also heard that it is a religion in Africa or something.

Has anyone heard about this, if you have, do you know anything about it?

• 10 Replies
Kurgle
Kurgle
163 posts
Nomad

Hahaha! I love the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It came from Bobby Henderson who wanted the theory that a flying spaghetti monster created life to be taught if the theory of intelligent design could be taught alongside the theory of evolution in schools. And I'm pretty sure it didn't originate in Africa, are you thinking of the Rastafarian's? Because they're in Jamaica.

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

wow...thanks for all the information guys...i was really curious as to what this was, and switch that flash demo was REALLY weird....

@Kurgle

Maybe i was thinking about rastafarian's

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

It came from Bobby Henderson who wanted the theory that a flying spaghetti monster created life to be taught if the theory of intelligent design could be taught alongside the theory of evolution in schools.

Yep, it should be noted that this is a parody religion, which makes pointed political commentary for the reason quoted above. The "ID vs evolution" was another chapter in the history of political tension between various varieties of evolutionists vs creationists, that, as you can see in this forum, continues unabated today.

And the correct spelling for the alias is Pastafarianism, I think. Possibly a pun on Rastafarian, such is the nature of parody.

DecadentDragon
DecadentDragon
242 posts
Nomad

venganza.org

Ahoy matey!

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

It's just something that athiests try (and fail) to use to discredit any other religion. It was used simply to prevent creationism from being taught in schools by atheists who are the reason that we have such things as "Holiday Breaks" in schools and business began saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

Well, we don't say "Merry Christmas" because, I know this might come as a shock to you, CHRISTIANITY IS NOT THE ONLY RELIGION!!!!! OMG OMG OMG. Ok, now that I've mentioned that, I just want to say that that (even though it is a joke) the FSM has as much right to be a religions as christianity does. And the "Atheist Ploy" worked. If you want to learn reigios history, go to a church. DUH!

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

No. If I want to say "Merry Christmas", I should be able to without being bashed by anyone. Companies making the transition to saying something generic wounds me on a deep level... but I will continue to fight. I refuse to change what I say, and if anyone tells me to, I'll quit my job. Nuff said.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

Woah, Megamickel, hostility alert! People say happy holidays because no one should IGNORE chanukkah, kwanzaa, and Eid, which are all around the same time as Christmas, and are just as important to people as Christmas is. No one, and I mean NO ONE, can force you to say happy holidays. But you could lighten up and allow Jewish, Muslim, and Afro-centric people to feel welcome and included in the holiday cheer surrounding December... (or just add -chanukkah, -kwanzaa and -Eid to your merry-)

Man that was off topic... oh well. FSM is hilarious. There you go.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

It always makes me smile to see the FSM things on peoples cars

DecadentDragon
DecadentDragon
242 posts
Nomad

You'd smile if you saw my truck then.

Showing 1-10 of 10